Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Feb 2018 (Wednesday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First try at photographing a model

mindofbeholder
Hatchling
7 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by mindofbeholder with reason 'Resizing an image'. (2 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2018 08:59 |  #1

Looking forward to your feedback! Photos were taken and edited by me.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4663/39559386204_f8385f7b26_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4749/39559386414_0685ab29f6_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4668/39559388004_98fe8c6d3c_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4612/38460424560_39ac3b4564_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4629/38460424730_32fde97393_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4610/39559386904_4f3d6fcc05_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4721/39559387074_05eaeebf17_z.jpg

sponsored links
Ramon-uk
617 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 14, 2018 11:48 |  #2

Number 4 stands out as a nice natural shot, it just needs rotating a little so that the trees are upright.
I find the poses in the others a bit false, especially the ones on the pier/jetty, she seems to be looking at something in the water which is out of the picture.

mindofbeholder
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by mindofbeholder. (2 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2018 12:00 |  #3

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18563659 (external link)
Number 4 stands out as a nice natural shot, it just needs rotating a little so that the trees are upright.

I hadn't thought of that. The location was on a hill so the trees are actually a bit crooked coming out of the ground. I'm afraid that if I were to rotate the image it might make the model look a bit off.

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18563659 (external link)
I find the poses in the others a bit false, especially the ones on the pier/jetty, she seems to be looking at something in the water which is out of the picture.

Thank you! Do you think that on 2/6/7 I could have improved the shot by taking it a bit wider?

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 14, 2018 12:42 |  #4

I think, you need to pay attention for the light. You have multiple photos where face is in the dark or it is dark on the model.
But I like how you were able to take it then model was engaged.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

paintedlotus
356 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by paintedlotus. (2 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2018 12:50 |  #5

For a first try you did pretty good. I like 3 and 7, they are nice portraits. In 1 and 2 you have the shoreline running straight through her head (same for 4 and 5 with the shelter in the background, and some vertical poles growing out of her head in #2). The white balance is way off in 2 - most of the photo but especially the shadows are totally blue; in 3, it's just ever so slightly too warm but that looks much more natural. Also be aware of the whites of the eyes bugging out toward the camera. I also really like 5 but the line of that shelter in the back going through her head kills it for me, composition wise. Personally I'm not sure I would have even included #1 as the expression is just way off. It's one thing to have some humorous shots but unfortunately it doesn't read that way (to me), it's mostly just unflattering. If possible try to keep elbows from pointing straight at the camera.

She looks like a nice portrait subject, so keep at it! :) Hope this helps.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

mindofbeholder
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by mindofbeholder.

Feb 14, 2018 12:55 |  #6

kf095 wrote in post #18563722 (external link)
I think, you need to pay attention for the light. You have multiple photos where face is in the dark or it is dark on the model.
But I like how you were able to take it then model was engaged.

On 2 I thought it improved the photo but i'm new so professionally speaking it probably is more detrimental to the photo.

I don't like the serious model face. Took some coaxing to get her to relax and have fun :)

mindofbeholder
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 14, 2018 14:03 |  #7

paintedlotus wrote in post #18563730 (external link)
In 1 and 2 you have the shoreline running straight through her head (same for 4 and 5 with the shelter in the background, and some vertical poles growing out of her head in #2)...I also really like 5 but the line of that shelter in the back going through her head kills it for me, composition wise.

Honestly I don't pay enough to this type of situation. I didn't even notice this until you mentioned it. Thank you! I will focus harder on avoiding this.

The white balance is way off in 2 - most of the photo but especially the shadows are totally blue; in 3, it's just ever so slightly too warm but that looks much more natural.

I have purchased a pop-up white/gray square to help me correct white balance appropriately in post. Hopefully this will help me keep everything square. I also see what you mean about slightly modifying the white balance to add to the photo. Thanks!

Personally I'm not sure I would have even included #1 as the expression is just way off. It's one thing to have some humorous shots but unfortunately it doesn't read that way (to me), it's mostly just unflattering. If possible try to keep elbows from pointing straight at the camera.

I'm studying different poses to help increase the variety of my model shots. I'll keep this in mind going forward. Thanks!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2018 14:27 |  #8

Wow - you found a really great looking model! . That's the hardest part, and you nailed it. . Great find!

Image #1 is my favorite because in it you took advantage of your model's strengths. . She has great skin and looks best from the front and close up.

Whenever I find an animal to photograph, such as a buck deer, I examine the animal to figure out what his best angle is. . Then I try my best to photograph him from the angle that is most complimentary. . I don't see why it would be ay different with human subjects. . If I had a model to shoot that looked this great face-on, then I would try to photograph her from that angle as much as possible.

In the first several photos, you have background objects that transect the model's head.

#1 - the off-kilter shoreline and the blurred out buildings

#2 - the ship mast (easily cloned out, so not a bid deal)

#4 and #5 - the gazebo soffit fascia .... this is a very strong visual element because it is white and the shadow below it is dark, creating a lot of contrast. . In fact, I think that gazebo roof structure is such a strong visual element that it is taking over the scene.

When you are shooting, are you consciously and purposefully placing the background objects exactly where you want them, or are you just thinking about the subject?

When you have strong lines in the background, such as a shoreline, horizon, or architectural element, think about where you want that line to fall, in relation to the subject's body parts. . Do you want the strong line to cut through her head or neck, or do you want it to fall just beneath the top of her shoulder?

Once you determine where the line should fall, then you will adjust your height by standing up on tippy toe or by crouching down, as needed, to ensure that the primary background elements are placed exactly where you want them to be.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mindofbeholder
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 14, 2018 15:54 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18563789 (external link)
In the first several photos, you have background objects that transect the model's head.

#1 - the off-kilter shoreline and the blurred out buildings

#2 - the ship mast (easily cloned out, so not a bid deal)

#4 and #5 - the gazebo soffit fascia .... this is a very strong visual element because it is white and the shadow below it is dark, creating a lot of contrast. . In fact, I think that gazebo roof structure is such a strong visual element that it is taking over the scene.

When you are shooting, are you consciously and purposefully placing the background objects exactly where you want them, or are you just thinking about the subject?

When you have strong lines in the background, such as a shoreline, horizon, or architectural element, think about where you want that line to fall, in relation to the subject's body parts. . Do you want the strong line to cut through her head or neck, or do you want it to fall just beneath the top of her shoulder?

Once you determine where the line should fall, then you will adjust your height by standing up on tippy toe or by crouching down, as needed, to ensure that the primary background elements are placed exactly where you want them to be..

Thank you for your feedback! I tend to have tunnel vision on the subject without paying attention to the overall composition of the shot. It's my intent going forward to ensure that there aren't glaring background elements decapitating my model :)

I do always bring a jacket when I go out to crouch down on or lay on to get the best angle on any shot I take.

I appreciate the compliments on the model! I've passed them along.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,233 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 17, 2018 15:53 |  #10

Some good suggestions have already been made.

Mine is to continue what you were doing to create a relaxed model.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

BryanIS
31 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 20, 2018 03:36 |  #11

In addition to what has already been said I think the hyper extended elbow and tense hand in the last two is a very distracting element in what is otherwise a compelling photo.

mindofbeholder
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Mar 11, 2018 18:22 |  #12

AZGeorge wrote in post #18566190 (external link)
Some good suggestions have already been made.

Mine is to continue what you were doing to create a relaxed model.

Thanks! I asked her for some music suggestions of her favorites artists and we listened to that during the shoot. Also made jokes and just generally had fun. I had actually never met her before this shoot.

mindofbeholder
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Mar 11, 2018 18:23 |  #13

BryanIS wrote in post #18568032 (external link)
In addition to what has already been said I think the hyper extended elbow and tense hand in the last two is a very distracting element in what is otherwise a compelling photo.

To be honest I didn't even notice that until you said this. I will have to take a sort of "step back" to keep an eye on the whole picture and force myself to think about these things.

emomophantom
285 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 12, 2018 21:42 |  #14

Nice step out there. I agree with much of what has already been said, except that I believe the expression on #2 is the best and most natural. The body shape on the pier has several awkward twists in it (foreshortening of knees and hands, over-extension of the neck, locked elbows). If you've never seen it, Lindsay Adler has a fantastic workshop she did on Creative Live (I think she has the same content in several other places as well) about posing. I learned a ton from watching that.

Cheers -Jon
thatverynextthing.com

Nashville Band Photographer / Nashville Music Photographer

www.thatverynextthing.​com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 29, 2018 16:21 |  #15

mindofbeholder wrote in post #18583068 (external link)
I asked her for some music suggestions of her favorites artists and we listened to that during the shoot.

That sounds like a great idea!

Just curious - what was the music that she wanted to hear? . Do you remember who her favorite artists were?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,753 views & 10 likes for this thread
First try at photographing a model
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.