Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Feb 2018 (Monday) 07:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dell UP2716D owners: I need your opinion about screen homogeneity

psy4fun
136 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2018 07:39 |  #1

1) As an owner of an UP2716D what are your thoughts about screen homogeneity? Do it really interfere with your photography editing workflow?

2) Has anybody found a solution to keep Uniformity Compensation enabled while using any Color preset other than Standard?

Long story:

I'm refering to problems reported by several owners and reviewers of UP2716D.

(1) Lack of colour uniformity and white point deviation between the left and the right side of the screen

(2) Uniformity Compensation being automatically disabled when chosing any preset other than Standard (which makes some of the above problems even worse)

I know some owners don't suffer with these problems and are happy with UP2716D. I'm interested in the opinion of those who noticed these problems exist.

Reports about colour uniformity and deviation:

https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/5718067​3 (external link)

https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/5731328​3 (external link)

https://www.amazon.co.​uk …=computers#MxKO​VUZKCRV0JL (external link)

Long discussion about colour uniformity + photos illustrating the problem:

https://www.dell.com …r-uniformity/td-p/4745284 (external link)

https://imgur.com/a/Iz​kVD (external link)

https://imgur.com/a/Z6​eIm (external link)

A detailed description of Uniformity Compensation problem:

https://www.dell.com …Compensation/td​-p/4759565 (external link)

Also, almost any decent and accurate review of UP2716D mention problems with uniformity and homogeneity.

sponsored links
psy4fun
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2018 08:27 as a reply to  @ post 18561958 |  #2

@zlatanlex24,

You must be kidding... You registered 10 minutes ago, that is your first post and it is already useless. Please, if you don't own a Dell UP2716D or have not observed the problems I mentioned, please pass over.

Dave ­ G
52 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 12, 2018 16:51 |  #3

I have issues with mine, on the right there is a red gradual colour cast, and on the left a green one. I am now looking to replace it with another brand. It's a shame, in the past the Dell's have been ok.

Landscape Photography by David Gibbeson (external link)
Devon Landscape Photography (external link)

psy4fun
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2018 17:59 as a reply to  @ Dave G's post |  #4

Hey @Dave G, thanks! This problem you mentioned is certainly the most frustrating on this model. Have you decided about the new brand/model to replace this one?

Dave ­ G
52 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 13, 2018 07:57 as a reply to  @ psy4fun's post |  #5

Not yet, I'm torn. The BenQ SW2700PT and Asus PA279Q are in the list. There seems to be not much choice of wide gamut monitors. I have been looking at 4k, but even the ones aimed at photo editing seem to lack large adobe RGB coverage.

Landscape Photography by David Gibbeson (external link)
Devon Landscape Photography (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,700 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2018 04:45 |  #6

I know this is not specific to your particular monitor, but it's still a Dell wide gamut monitor that I am using. I also use the Dell monitor management software, which allows the switching of the preinstalled various colour profiles. I'm using the UP2715K. Being the 5K monitor one is left with not many choices of video card to drive it. So in my case I am using an Nvidia GTX960 with 2GB of VRAM on board. I have found that monitor performance is very much affected by the graphics drivers. Sometimes it seems that Win 10 will do an update and the drivers get toasted, and I have all sorts of issues.

Yesterday for example was a case in point. I had shut the machine down over night, which is not something I commonaly do. When I switched back on the monitor displayed nothing. By reconfiguring the connections to reduce it to a maximum of 4K instead of five I was able to get a picture and update the Nvidia drivers.

Although to accommodate 5K @ 60Hz on DP1.2 the card has to use two cables and split the screen in half, in the long dimension, and run it as two 2560×2880 displays, I sometimes get colour inconsistencies in the vertical direction, across both halves. Again usually a graphics driver update will sort it out, or sometimes just a reboot will do. It can be a bit variable.

I love the monitor, the colour and resolution are great, I just wish that the you must keep the drivers up to date was a little less demanding. The Nvidia updater is a little annoying for a non gamer though.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

psy4fun
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 14, 2018 08:13 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #7

I saw mixed reviews about UP2715K, with some of them citing the same bad uniformity problems that plague UP2716D. Definitely Dell displays are a typical case of hit and miss. Some - like you - are luck enough to get a decent monitor, while some others suffer the hell of it.

My old Nec PA271W just died after being hit during transportation. It was a formidable display, no single problem, LUT, perfect hardware calibration, absolutely uniform, no light leak. But not available where I live. So I am stucked with subpar options, Dell included, and unfortunately I can't even chose the UP2715K since it is not available in my region (and I do not know it is still being produced btw).

I agree video card driver can be a major annoyance. I own a GTX 1060 and luckly have not yet suffered with driver problems. In the past I was using an AMD card and drivers were a constant issue, to the point of deciding to never buy an AMD video card again.

My advice is once you find a stable driver version, stick to it and stop updating the driver until it becomes strictly necessary. During the AMD period, I kept a log of driver updates and that saved my as... several times.

psy4fun
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 14, 2018 08:34 |  #8

Dave G wrote in post #18562667 (external link)
Not yet, I'm torn. The BenQ SW2700PT and Asus PA279Q are in the list. There seems to be not much choice of wide gamut monitors. I have been looking at 4k, but even the ones aimed at photo editing seem to lack large adobe RGB coverage.

From what I read BenQ SW2700PT has several uniformity problems too. If you decide for it, buy from a reliable source, one that you can return it without questions.

Wide gamut displays are a nice thing to have, specially if your print at home with a decent printer. If instead you are only publishing for the web or submiting your photographs to some lab with just a half backed colour managed workflow (almost all of the existing labs), the wide gamut becomes useless.

I myself sold my Epson Stylus printer last year (tired of head clogging and other annoyances) and now I am printing in a lab that offers a decent colour managed workflow. But instead of submiting colour jobs to their Epson/Canon, I chose to print them in an affordable "sRGB" printer they have. It costs 2/3 the price of the Epson/Canon and delivers the same quality. For B&W work I still prefer Epson.

Moppie
14,734 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 15, 2018 02:43 |  #9

We just sent one back at work because the uniformity was so bad. There are lots of threads in various forums and different blog post about people having issues with them.
With the uniformity on, the screen is impossible to calibrate and the contrast/brightness is far to high.
With uniformity off in the menu, they can be calibrated, but show horrible colour casts over the surface.

I recently had my Dell 2711 start to delaminate, rather than get a new 2716, based on what I've seen of the performance at work, I simply found a used 2711 in good condition instead.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links

962 views & 5 likes for this thread
Dell UP2716D owners: I need your opinion about screen homogeneity
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.