Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 26 Dec 2017 (Tuesday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Chest harness / holster / top loader for downhill skiing?

DrMitch
475 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 26, 2017 20:02 |  #1

Now that the kids can keep up with me and wife on the slopes, starting to take out the 7DII with 70-200 attached on runs.
I have a Tamrac Velocity which was not too bad to carry - swayed a little bit - but quick access was a bit of a pain.
Looking at two options:
Going with the ThinkTank Digital Holster 50 V2.0 - can chest mount it easier and hopefully access the camera easier compared to the Tamrac.
Or, keep the Tamrac as a way of transporting it up the lifts and switching to a. cotton Carrier chest harness to get REAL quick access to the camera.

Ideally want to keep the hood on in shooting position hence the TT Holster over the Lowepro Toploader

(I'm a strong skier and skiing with the family, so not going crazy when I have the camera and falls are very unlikely).

Looking for ideas for a cover for the lens / camera if I take the Cotton Carrier route.

Thanks for anything insight (pics of any alternate ideas would also be appreciated).

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,594 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 26, 2017 22:09 |  #2

I used the neck strap & zipped the camera inside my parka, but had a shorter lens than the 70-200 on it.
I've also had good luck with this in post #32.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,004 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 27, 2017 18:25 |  #3

I have TT Holster as well as Cotton Carrier, but for skiing why bother with either when you can simply go with Kata Torso Pack, which I also have. The Kata Torso Pack not only gives your gear the protection from the element but that necessary quick pull-and-shoot. Only one bag to deal with.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 13, 2018 20:04 |  #4

SYS wrote in post #18527537 (external link)
I have TT Holster as well as Cotton Carrier, but for skiing why bother with either when you can simply go with Kata Torso Pack, which I also have. The Kata Torso Pack not only gives your gear the protection from the element but that necessary quick pull-and-shoot. Only one bag to deal with.

Dr Mitch this is a great solution. I have one of these. I carry my d300s with two lenses easily. However, battery grip doesn't fit.
I'm a PCA UCR member

Dave

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,323 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 13, 2018 21:18 |  #5

If you're carrying a backpack/daypack with you for other supplies, anyway, I'd recommend just throwing on a Capture Clip for this. Even if you *do* go down, the camera is secure and if you're tucking anyway :p, it'll be relatively protected.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8453090311_568b60ba52_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dSYi​fp  (external link) Me and the snowmobile- (external link) by Eric (external link), on Flickr

A couple hours after that shot was taken, I parted ways with that 'mobile at about 30mph and the camera stayed right where you see it. It's also 'easy on/off' to latch and release while you're on the move.

I, personally, never really liked my Cotton Carrier as the puck allowed too much 'swing' of the gear and had a propensity for loosening in place on the holder. The Capture system is my constant carry rig whenever I go out and about with the camera and I use it mostly w/ a 7DII + 100-400 MkII, which is roughly the same size/weight of the 70-200 2.8. Can go all day with that setup and not be bothered.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 14, 2018 01:08 |  #6

Snydremark wrote in post #18563262 (external link)
If you're carrying a backpack/daypack with you for other supplies, anyway, I'd recommend just throwing on a Capture Clip for this. Even if you *do* go down, the camera is secure and if you're tucking anyway :p, it'll be relatively protected.

A couple hours after that shot was taken, I parted ways with that 'mobile at about 30mph and the camera stayed right where you see it. It's also 'easy on/off' to latch and release while you're on the move.

I, personally, never really liked my Cotton Carrier as the puck allowed too much 'swing' of the gear and had a propensity for loosening in place on the holder. The Capture system is my constant carry rig whenever I go out and about with the camera and I use it mostly w/ a 7DII + 100-400 MkII, which is roughly the same size/weight of the 70-200 2.8. Can go all day with that setup and not be bothered.

This is my configuration for any adventure sport but free climbing (for obvious reasons). I do wrap velcro tape around lens and pack strap sometimes to get gear closer to my body and prevent sway. For big lens I prefer Capture Pro on my belt.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,892 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 14, 2018 12:22 |  #7

I enjoyed my lowepro toploader pro 75 aw for several years, then just went to a sling strap under the parka. Toploader worked really well, I just got tired of the look and ergonomics of carrying around a mini me everywhere in a front pack. This was a 1D3 + 70-200 f/2.8 (or a 1D4 later).

This year, I have a Capture Clip, and I think that will be the sweet spot for me. I'll keep a strap attached to the pack as well, as a safety tether.

So, if you want more protection, the toploader is solid. Very comfortable front pack, easy access, lots of room. I did end up buying an aftermarket hood for it, and sawing that shorter so it would readily fit in the pack with a hood on it -- this allowed me to skip the lens cap for the day and just pull/fire. Very secure solution - didn't worry about the camera at all.

These days, I'm just not really worried about the gear that much. I'm using the 24-105 f/4L, which is not weatherproof -- but I've also had it pretty wet dozens of times without issue. I'm willing to learn a lesson and replace it if I'm wrong though. I bought the lens (and bodies) used, and I do NOT baby any of my gear for any reason -- just respectable protection and cleaning with frequent minor dings and 100% function maintained. If I'm going to drag around the weight, I'm not going to further encumber myself with a bunch of process to overprotect gear.

I'm really looking forward to the Capture Clip :)

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

DrMitch
THREAD ­ STARTER
475 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 15, 2018 08:59 |  #8

Thanks for all of the ideas!
I ended up getting the TT digital holster and chest straps as a present - haven't used it officially yet - but set it up over my ski jacket and it's quite comfortable. I also like the idea of not having to take off a backpack when getting on chair lifts.
I have the Capture Pro - still haven't used it, but will this year with my F-stop backpack on some hikes. I can see how it would be great for sledding / motorized sports. Was worried about comfort with the 70-200 2.8 and grip - may take off the grip in those cases to get the setup closer to my body.
I also don't baby my equipment - I treat it with a high level of respect but I'd sacrifice a ding or two for the right shot and the right moment! ;)

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

sponsored links

894 views & 7 likes for this thread
Chest harness / holster / top loader for downhill skiing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.