Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bug in Today's Photoshop CC Update

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2018 15:43 |  #1

Many users are getting this error after today's update when trying to open a raw from within PS or use the Camera Raw plug-in.

For RAW files the workaround is to leave PS closed and use a right click to open the file.

To use the plug-in, go to Preferences/Camera Raw immediately after opening PS. No preference changes are needed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 14, 2018 08:24 |  #2

From https://forums.adobe.c​om/thread/2452024 (external link)

"This is a known issue and Adobe are working on a fix"

Additional:

https://forums.adobe.c​om/thread/2451553 (external link)

Website (external link) |

AZGeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2018 10:14 |  #3

According to Jeffrey Tranberry, Adobe's Sr. Product Manager, Digital Imaging, they are working on a fix beyond the workarounds. It sounds as if they may first be trying an ACR update.

https://feedback.photo​shop.com …ngs%5D%5Bfilter​_by%5D=all (external link)

George

AZGeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by AZGeorge.

Feb 15, 2018 15:37 |  #4

The Adobe Camera Raw team has posted a new version (Camera Raw 10.2.1) that supposedly fixes this problem. It worked on my main system.
https://helpx.adobe.co​m …aw-plug-in-installer.html (external link)

George

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 16, 2018 07:53 |  #5

George,
Thanks for the follow-up. Got it. Didn't test it, but assume it's ok.

Only one comment here, probably for adobe. I checked the info on the update before installing, no mention of a bug fix. Only mention of adding new cameras.

Professionals say that when you have a drug, alcohol, whatever problem, the first step is admitting you have that problem. Adobe said nothing about a bug or fix.

Adobe - your bug cost people time and money. You now have more than one competitor snapping at your heels with their eventual goal of being Photoshop and Lightroom competitors. And every one of them is hitting hard on your subscription product model.

I hope this has caused you to change your product testing. You apparently have a problem you have yet to admit. You keep up this crap and you will find yourself knocked off your throne.

Again, thanks George.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,452 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 16, 2018 09:44 |  #6

I checked the info on the update before installing, no mention of a bug fix. Only mention of adding new cameras.

Then you were probably looking at the first release, 10.2, and not at the bug fixed version, 10.2.1.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Elie / אלי

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 16, 2018 10:49 |  #7

No, Elle. I wasn't. But I wasn't going to the blog either. I clicked on the CC tab in the Windows tray as most people do. Not a mention of it there.

But that doesn't matter. What matters is that they released a buggy update. That may indicate a problem with their testing procedures. And it needs to be resolved, because the bug that people had to find a workaround for DID cost people time and money. I would expect such behavior from smaller companies such as Skylum or ON1, but not a giant such as Adobe. Our philosophies may differ, but in my opinion, there is no excuse.

AZGeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 16, 2018 11:09 |  #8

Take it from a guy who's managed development teams, Adobe handled this problem very well.

No matter how thorough update testing can failed to isolate problems in real-life production environments. Bugs will be shipped. Bugs will ever and always be shipped.

The problem was limited to some of us running some high rez displays. Within hours a very simple workaround was found. Within two days revised code was released.

I don't know for sure why the fix was not pushed to the CC update, but it's likely that before that is done it must go through all the testing protocols. That is not a trivial step. For mature products testing takes longer than writing the code in the first place.

As to the comment on coverup, it must have been written without reading the clear language "(Camera Raw 10.2.1 Includes fix for Not Compatible with this version of Photoshop - Windows only)"

George

sponsored links

1,558 views & 1 like for this thread
Bug in Today's Photoshop CC Update
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.