Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

chuckmiller
663 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 16, 2018 09:51 |  #7591

When I get the 2x I'll have both to choose from.

Retiring from Fire/Rescue after 37 years on 6/30/2020 and counting the days

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
14,072 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 5 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2018 09:56 |  #7592

docg wrote in post #18565087 (external link)
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Kind of what I expected, some will say yes and others not so much. I guess some of it may depend on the copy of camera/lens combination and as well as the skills and technique of the user.

Great moon shot btw.

I have absolutely have no doubt you can do the same as me if not better. Just sayin

A few years ago I concentrated completely on getting rid of motion blur from me and the camera... I don't use a tripod very often. I just try to get low and three points touching the ground if I can. Or lean on something as well. but I do not crush that camera into my face.. I barely touch it with my eye if at all. I use one point and I watch were the focus is and move it around until I see it were I want it which is on the eye's really. Focus that is not the point.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
14,072 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 16, 2018 10:00 |  #7593

Even close range with the 1.4III on is good. Marten EXIF

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

nero_design
104 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2018 10:54 |  #7594

chuckmiller wrote in post #18564838 (external link)
I cannot look through 505 pages of posts. Is anyone using this lens with a Canon teleconverter 1.4x iii or a 2x iii? If you are how is the image quality?

The image quality with Mk III Extenders on the Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens is excellent when combined with this lens specifically. The EF 1.4x III is probably the most versatile, especially with DSLR cameras. The new Canon EOS 6D II camera was designed to operate well with this extender. Canon claims the Mk III Extenders are better and sharper than the Mk II Extenders. They're built more ruggedly with newly cut (and coated) optics and the white paint/finish now matches the newer Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens. They also have a new microprocessor in the new Extenders (Mk III).

The speed of AF and the ability to use AF with the 2x III Extender will depend greatly on which body of camera you are using... as Canon have crippled some bodies. More recent model cameras with Canon's new DPAF sensor seem to work exceptionally well with Extenders. My EOS M6 is very fast with the EF 1.4x III and most of the time I could forget that it's there. The EF 2x III is noticeably slower. Putting the 2x III on an older DSLR like the 6D Mk 1 is painfully slow with the Live View (LCD) and impossible with the OVF (due to limitations set by Canon). However, the EF 1.4x III now works just fine with the newer EOS 6D Mk II. I just created a "Frankenstein" system comprising of the Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM + EF 2x III Extender + EF 12 tele tube + EF 1.4x III Extender.... and put it on the new Canon EOS M6 mirrorless camera... and to my amazement I still get AF (though it's much slower than just using the EF 1.4x III Extender alone.

HOSTED PHOTO

(ABOVE) Taken with the Canon EOS M6 mirrorless (APSC) camera + Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender about 2 weeks ago.

Using the 2x III Extender was no real problem for the recent Canon EOS M6 mirrorless camera with the DPAF sensor. I found that the magnification captures greater detail over distances compared to just enlarging the unaided image.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 6D (Full Frame DSLR) + Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM + EF 1.4x III + Monopod
Possibly not the best example... but the eye of the bird was the target. I couldn't get close to him and wanted a closer, uncropped picture of him (I virtually never crop images but it was an excuse to use the Extender). I didn't really need the monopod but I find the lens is heavy. This bird was an an odd position.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from nero_design's gallery.

Canon EOS M6 + Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM + EF 2x III + EF 12 + EF 1.4x III.

Despite what the extracted EXIF information reads, this was a shot of the moon taken in JPEG using the Auto Focus with the "Frankenstein" setup (details above). With BOTH extenders the focal length was 1803.2mm (equiv) on this lens and camera. The image has been further edited to enhance the contrast and to bring Jupiter a little closer to the moon (Jupiter was shot and exposed separately but the moon was used to lock the AF). At least two bands of cloud are visible on Jupiter, along with three of its moons... which are just tiny dots.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 6D (Full Frame) + Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM + EF 2x III Extender - Color has not been enhanced although I think I had a CPL filter on the lens at the time. Taken in JPEG with a monopod... with Live View (which was quite slow on the 6D Mk 1 ...but accurate).

docg
657 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 16, 2018 11:10 |  #7595

keeperseeker wrote in post #18565076 (external link)
Own all of them,,,much prefer using the 1.4x . seem to get better results with F9-F10,,and 1200+ shutter speed. and of course you need good light and a steadier hand. Don,t get as many keepers at all with the 2X,,,find a tripod increaser rate with 2x but i seldom use a tripod.

Thanks Keeperseeker. I’ll keep those suggestions in mind next time I try the 1.4. II.

Doc
flickr (external link)

nero_design
104 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2018 11:14 |  #7596

Some shots from the Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM without any Extenders used. Almost 2 years after I bought this lens I'm still astounded by the image quality that it produces. These were snapshots taken as I paused momentarily to capture what I was seeing. These JPEGS were all taken with the original Canon EOS 6D camera.

HOSTED PHOTO

I took this shot while walking - to get to someone that was meeting me at the other end of the beach.

HOSTED PHOTO

This wild lizard now comes to pose when I visit his park... although he was trying to scare me off when I took this picture. My wife feeds him (she's the blurry 'blob' on the right).

HOSTED PHOTO

The detail in this uncropped JPEG of the Pelican's feathers is quite surprising.

HOSTED PHOTO

My friends dog. They were throwing a stick for her.. which is why she wasn't looking at me. This was my first day with this lens and I wanted to take a picture of a critter... but the dog filled in just fine.

nero_design
104 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2018 11:28 |  #7597

This is an extremely versatile (and somewhat heavy) lens. You're not just stuck shooting birds and critters with it either. I'd like to try my hand with more landscapes. Just have to remember to show a little caution shooting the sun with the higher magnification, even when using the Live View (LCD) on my cameras.

HOSTED PHOTO

There's depth of field in this daylight shot that fascinates me... because i shot this from a bridge.

HOSTED PHOTO

We have some friends with a house directly under the flight path of an international airport. They were amused at me standing in their backyard taking pictures of the jets that flew overhead every 5 minutes.

HOSTED PHOTO

With just a little extra reach from the APS-C sensor on the EOS M6 mirrorless camera. I could have used the EF 1.4x Extender for this sort of shot... and upped the shutter speed just a little. Might try it next time. I was testing the M6 with this lens to see if it was much better than the original EOSM camera. It sure was.

nero_design
104 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2018 11:44 |  #7598

HOSTED PHOTO

I stopped at a lookout on the way to the city and caught the sun rise. One of my friends spotted a small Mantis sitting on the handrail, grooming itself. I took a shot since I knew this lens had some macro capability. This was as close as I could get - the sun looks irregular - presumably from the aperture blades. The Mantis was about 4 inches long. I used the Live View (LCD) to reduce the risk to my eyes - not sure about the camera sensor though. JPEG / No crop. No extenders.

HOSTED PHOTO

Taken seconds after the sun appeared at dawn over the Pacific Ocean, I stupidly put my eye near the OVF on my camera... I could feel the intensity and heat coming through (perhaps it was just the UV light). The sun looks like an Atomic Bomb going off over the horizon. JPEG / Slight crop, no extenders.

chuckmiller
663 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 16, 2018 14:13 |  #7599

To Nero - my camera body is a 5D4.

Retiring from Fire/Rescue after 37 years on 6/30/2020 and counting the days

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 16, 2018 14:19 |  #7600

digital paradise wrote in post #18563414 (external link)
Not sure what these birds are other than they speak Portuguese.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=185​63414&i=i229553294
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=185​63414&i=i220505759

Terns, perhaps Caspian. Approaching gull size? Then Caspian. About half the size,. more likely common.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 16, 2018 14:25 |  #7601

nero_design wrote in post #18565143 (external link)

The speed of AF and the ability to use AF with the 2x III Extender will depend greatly on which body of camera you are using... as Canon have crippled some bodies. .

More importantly, the older bodies were made before the new AF systems that can take advantage of the new extenders. This age effects even the latest in some series bodies like the 7D2 or 1D4,. they are too old to see any real AF improvement with the MkIII T-con gen II lens combos.

As far as I know the only bodes that will fully utilize the combined AF advantage of the MkIII + Gen II lenses are 1DxII, 5D4, 80D, and 6D2. Even 1Dx loses some functionality compared to some of these newer bodies.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,453 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 16, 2018 14:35 |  #7602

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18565325 (external link)
More importantly, the older bodies were made before the new AF systems that can take advantage of the new extenders. This age effects even the latest in some series bodies like the 7D2 or 1D4,. they are too old to see any real AF improvement with the MkIII T-con gen II lens combos.

As far as I know the only bodes that will fully utilize the combined AF advantage of the MkIII + Gen II lenses are 1DxII, 5D4, 80D, and 6D2. Even 1Dx loses some functionality compared to some of these newer bodies.

Hmmm ... would this be firmware-related?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 16, 2018 16:32 |  #7603

Archibald wrote in post #18565336 (external link)
Hmmm ... would this be firmware-related?

No, I really doubt that. It is the actual AF system built into the cameras.

The 1Dx/5D3 was likely the first Af system to take any advantage of the latest gen t-con lens combinations. But it wasn't until the 1Dx2 that the possibility of f/8 focusing and no speed penalty with t-cons came into being. To make it all work, one must have a body with the latest AF system, and the latest gen optics. Replace any of the 3 parts with an older part that was never designed to be able to keep up with the latest parts and that slow link = the whole chain slows down.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

nero_design
104 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2018 21:36 |  #7604

chuckmiller wrote in post #18565316 (external link)
To Nero - my camera body is a 5D4.

I'm fairly certain that the EOS 5D IV has the new DPAF sensor... so presumably you'll have the ability to use the EF 1.4x III with both the OVF and the LCD display (Live View). I'm sorely tempted to buy a 6D II just to be able to use this Extender on the camera all the time since I tend to shoot at higher magnifications with this lens.

You can certainly use extenders with any camera, it's just that most cameras were not designed to allow Autofocus when the aperture is at a certain size. Adding an Extender drops the aperture below that threshold - although some cameras now allow for AF with the EF 1.4x III. I believe that the DPAF sensor made it possible by allowing the sensor to determine more about the focus of the subject through the lens, speeding up the focus acquisition and target lock.

One thing I'll say though, that isn't really covered by the images available or the reviews, is that even if you're using a non-DPAF camera, the results from a Full Frame cameras seem more impressive looking. The difference is subtle, but I feel that there's something richer from the cameras using this lens on a Full Frame rather than an APS-C (cropped image-circle) sensor. For ease of use and speed, I'm now carrying the EF 100-400mmL II lens + EF 1.4x III extender on my crop sensor EOSM6. But on my EOS 6D DSLR, I prefer the results produced without the Extenders where necessary. I just think that this lens captures really nice images unaided on a FF DSLR. If you really want to increase the Bokeh, then you have to look at a larger, heavier and more expensive lens. But I've been quite happy with what I can get from this one. The bokeh is very defined and in some cases incredibly smooth. For it's price, I feel the EF 100-400mmL II lens is extremely good value.

HOSTED PHOTO

EOS 6D - Uncropped at 400mm + EF 2x III Extender via Live View (which is slow on this older model camera).

I really like this lens but it's nice to know that you can add a little to the reach of the lens in the form of an extender. For astro-shots of the moon and very distant subjects I'll use the EF 2x III Extender. For wildlife and closer subjects, the raw lens is best for performance although adding the 1.4x III Extender gives me extra reach without any noticeable loss of detail from image degradation. I think one of the first things people do when they buy a camera lens with a Loooooong zoom is to take pictures of very distant objects to validate their purchase - But shooting subjects over longer distances means more thermal fluctuations and air turbulence. Shooting over dry land with longer distances in warmer weather is the worst... although you can get some great effects playing with the distortions in your shots. But those distortions alone will strip the subject of details (eg hairs on a persons arm at 700m) which would otherwise be visible in better air-conditions or shooting closer to the subject.

HOSTED PHOTO

I read some accounts (here!) where people were saying that "blowing up your image in Photoshop by 200% was better than using an Extender". Those comments related to using earlier Extenders with the earlier Mk 1 version of this lens. The first thing I did when I bought the Mk III extenders was to compare them with the same subject at 200% crop without the extenders compared to a non-cropped shot with the extenders. I was pleased to see that more detail was captured by the use of the extenders than without. You can see the results of one of those tests above and below. I felt that there was considerable image improvement on the shot captured using the EF 2x III converter compared with the detail captured by the unaided lens at 400mm.

HOSTED PHOTO

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,453 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 16, 2018 22:17 |  #7605

nero_design wrote in post #18565603 (external link)
I'm fairly certain that the EOS 5D IV has the new DPAF sensor... so presumably you'll have the ability to use the EF 1.4x III with both the OVF and the LCD display (Live View). I'm sorely tempted to buy a 6D II just to be able to use this Extender on the camera all the time since I tend to shoot at higher magnifications with this lens.

You can certainly use extenders with any camera, it's just that most cameras were not designed to allow Autofocus when the aperture is at a certain size. Adding an Extender drops the aperture below that threshold - although some cameras now allow for AF with the EF 1.4x III. I believe that the DPAF sensor made it possible by allowing the sensor to determine more about the focus of the subject through the lens, speeding up the focus acquisition and target lock.

One thing I'll say though, that isn't really covered by the images available or the reviews, is that even if you're using a non-DPAF camera, the results from a Full Frame cameras seem more impressive looking. The difference is subtle, but I feel that there's something richer from the cameras using this lens on a Full Frame rather than an APS-C (cropped image-circle) sensor. For ease of use and speed, I'm now carrying the EF 100-400mmL II lens + EF 1.4x III extender on my crop sensor EOSM6. But on my EOS 6D DSLR, I prefer the results produced without the Extenders where necessary. I just think that this lens captures really nice images unaided on a FF DSLR. If you really want to increase the Bokeh, then you have to look at a larger, heavier and more expensive lens. But I've been quite happy with what I can get from this one. The bokeh is very defined and in some cases incredibly smooth. For it's price, I feel the EF 100-400mmL II lens is extremely good value.

EOS 6D - Uncropped at 400mm + EF 2x III Extender via Live View (which is slow on this older model camera).

I really like this lens but it's nice to know that you can add a little to the reach of the lens in the form of an extender. For astro-shots of the moon and very distant subjects I'll use the EF 2x III Extender. For wildlife and closer subjects, the raw lens is best for performance although adding the 1.4x III Extender gives me extra reach without any noticeable loss of detail from image degradation. I think one of the first things people do when they buy a camera lens with a Loooooong zoom is to take pictures of very distant objects to validate their purchase - But shooting subjects over longer distances means more thermal fluctuations and air turbulence. Shooting over dry land with longer distances in warmer weather is the worst... although you can get some great effects playing with the distortions in your shots. But those distortions alone will strip the subject of details (eg hairs on a persons arm at 700m) which would otherwise be visible in better air-conditions or shooting closer to the subject.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=185​65603&i=i256258363

I read some accounts (here!) where people were saying that "blowing up your image in Photoshop by 200% was better than using an Extender". Those comments related to using earlier Extenders with the earlier Mk 1 version of this lens. The first thing I did when I bought the Mk III extenders was to compare them with the same subject at 200% crop without the extenders compared to a non-cropped shot with the extenders. I was pleased to see that more detail was captured by the use of the extenders than without. You can see the results of one of those tests above and below. I felt that there was considerable image improvement on the shot captured using the EF 2x III converter compared with the detail captured by the unaided lens at 400mm.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=185​65603&i=i59475200

Cool! What apertures did you use in the 2X III comparisons?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

2,111,315 views & 21,329 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.