Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Feb 2018 (Friday) 02:57
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which camera should I get"
Used 1dx
61.9%
New 5d4
38.1%

21 voters, 21 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d4 or 1dX

Milutiche
819 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 16, 2018 02:57 |  #1

I'm in a predicament
I can get a very low shutter count (20K) 1dx for about $200 cheaper than a new 5d4
I shoot quite a bit of sport but it would be replacing my 6d that I use for genral purpose family stuff
here's my pro's and cons for each

5d4 Pros

Small body, Touch Screen, New technology & Sensor with High MP

1dX Pros

Excellent weather sealing, 14fps.

I'm not sure which has the best AF or high iso noise handling that would be benificial for shooting night sport...

Give me your feedback.

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,809 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 16, 2018 03:05 |  #2

Milutiche wrote in post #18564910 (external link)
I'm in a predicament
I can get a very low shutter count (20K) 1dx for about $200 cheaper than a new 5d4

I would get a 5D4, but a used one. . That seems like the most sensible option, but it wasn't in your poll, so I didn't vote.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Cham_001
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 16, 2018 04:02 |  #3

Milutiche wrote in post #18564910 (external link)
I'm in a predicament
I shoot quite a bit of sport but it would be replacing my 6d that I use for genral purpose family stuff
here's my pro's and cons for each

5d4 Pros

Small body, Touch Screen, New technology & Sensor with High MP

1dX Pros

Excellent weather sealing, 14fps.

I'm not sure which has the best AF or high iso noise handling that would be benificial for shooting night sport...

Give me your feedback.

---
All-out Sports Photography:
1DX
1DXii

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,388 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 16, 2018 04:53 |  #4

AF and high ISO are very close, with a slight edge going to the 5d4 for high ISO, which increases especially if you equalize the resolutions between any photo.

The only advantage the 1dx has, IMO when I was deciding, is the burst rate. The 5d4 had everything else I needed.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 16, 2018 17:14 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #5

I'm in New Zealand and unfortunately that isn't currently an option

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 16, 2018 17:15 |  #6

Well I decided to go for the used 1dx, it's anctually only got 6000 clicks and comes with 3 batteries, I should see it on Tuesday

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 16, 2018 23:16 |  #7

Do a search and look for the previous thread about this. This was about 6 weeks ago... We had a 10 page exchange about the benefits of both cameras. I dont want to create hard feelings again. I would choose the 1Dx in a heartbeat over a 5D4

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 17, 2018 00:01 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #8

I actually found the exact thread about 30 minutes after posting, if there's a moderator here they can feel free to delete this

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,790 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 17, 2018 02:43 |  #9

Be curious to see what you think of the 1DX, as I'm looking to upgrade the 1D3 at some stage, mainly to cope with high ISO shots of Karate in often dimly lit halls where they won't let me use flash & needing to use a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom to manage the wildly varying framing. Suspect an 85mm f/1.2 would be great too, but would need a better body than the 1D3 to be able to crop...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 17, 2018 15:47 |  #10

joeseph wrote in post #18565703 (external link)
Be curious to see what you think of the 1DX, as I'm looking to upgrade the 1D3 at some stage, mainly to cope with high ISO shots of Karate in often dimly lit halls where they won't let me use flash & needing to use a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom to manage the wildly varying framing. Suspect an 85mm f/1.2 would be great too, but would need a better body than the 1D3 to be able to crop...

I came to the 1DX from a 1D4 and thew upgrade is considerable to say the least. Coming from a 1D3 - I think you will be VERY pleasantly surprised! Despite a lot of bad press the vast majority of 1D3 bodies were great cameras but things ave moved on quite a bit since then.

Don't get put off by the 1DX AF system (which seems to confuse many) just shove it on default settings and be very happy, you can play with fine tuning later if needed - probably not. ISO performance will be quite a revelation too, I am happy to 6400 without NR on a well exposed image and it exposes more accurately too. Don't forget to keep any spare batteries - OEM ones will still work and charge. Many bemoan the loss of the 1.3 crop - I don't. My 1DX takes sharper/more detailed images than my 1D4 did so from a 1D3?

If you can get an opportunity to try one first that would be ideal but the 1DX is just better in all respects except price and battery life (still good but not as good).

Happy deciding.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,809 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 17, 2018 15:51 |  #11

johnf3f wrote in post #18566186 (external link)
Happy deciding.

John,

Did you post to this thread without first reading through it?
(see the OP's post below)

Milutiche wrote in post #18565458 (external link)
Well I decided to go for the used 1dx, it's anctually only got 6000 clicks and comes with 3 batteries, I should see it on Tuesday

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by umphotography.

Feb 17, 2018 21:48 |  #12

To be perfectly honest If it were up to me, i would get a low count 1Dx when i replace this 5D3 this year

However, its primarily for my wife and she doesn't like the weight on the 1Dx all day long

so she wants a 5D4

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,988 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 18, 2018 17:45 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18566188 (external link)
John,

Did you post to this thread without first reading through it?
(see the OP's post below)

My post was intended to confirm the OP's decision - perhaps I should have put Great Choice or something similar at the beginning?

Much as I like the 5D4, to me, the 1DX looks like the right decision for the OP's needs.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,809 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2018 18:47 |  #14

johnf3f wrote in post #18566991 (external link)
My post was intended to confirm the OP's decision - perhaps I should have put Great Choice or something similar at the beginning?

Yes, perhaps so.

When you said, "happy deciding", it certainly makes it seem as though he was still deciding ...... which we clearly know that he was not. . I don't know how this could be interpreted any other way.

PJJ205
301 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 19, 2018 11:01 |  #15

I shoot sports 99% of the time with my 5D4, but I’d probably still go 1DX if I were you since you already have a 6D.

sponsored links

3,052 views & 33 likes for this thread
5d4 or 1dX
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.