Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 29 Jan 2018 (Monday) 15:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Photo Jackets/Clothing do people use?

Vintage ­ Racer
26 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 29, 2018 15:02 |  #1

I have been looking for a decent Jacket/Vest to use when out & about photographing wildlife/birds etc.

The best I have found, is the Stealth Gear Exteme series, but sadly no longer produced.

Anyone got one for sale, or views on what else they would recommend?

Cheers

Glynn

If at first you don't succeed...............​you are not a budgerigar!
Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500, Nikon 70-200, Nikon 18-55 and Tokina 11-20

sponsored links
ShadowHillsPhoto
504 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 30, 2018 21:25 |  #2

I've never been a fan of photo vests/jackets. They sound good on paper, but I've yet to find one that didn't just feel awkward once you loaded it up (at least with what I would typically take for wildlife). There's also the question of what to do when it's too hot to want to wear the vest/jacket or so cold that you need something heavier. Any vest that fits over my heaviest cold weather gear is going to be way to big to wear on its own in the summer. I prefer to keep my carrying systems independent of my clothing. Dress for the weather first, then select what bags or packs to take based on my immediate needs. I like to use my Gura Gear Bataflae 32 when I'm not traveling far from my vehicle, and when going farther afield I use a Kinesis long lens case with belt and harness (and other lens cases on the belt as needed).

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,642 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 30, 2018 23:56 |  #3

I picked up an Orvis insulated canvas jacket at Costco this fall that has two enormous pockets -- big enough to hold a 100-400 in one and 70-200 in the other. It's been working very nicely for me when shooting motorsports.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

PhotosGuy
75,299 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 31, 2018 00:03 |  #4

This is what I go to first: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17860413

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,015 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2018 14:50 |  #5

Domke photo vest. It seemed costly. So I waited a long time. That was about 20 years ago....still looks like new

DaveL

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

cristphoto
869 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 16, 2018 15:45 |  #6

I have no photography specific clothing, but I usually wear a windbreaker or jacket with pockets that zip to safely store lens caps, filters, or small lenses.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

Vintage ­ Racer
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Feb 17, 2018 11:08 |  #7

Thanks guys. - I have now managed to buy a 'nearly new' Stealth Gear Extreme Jacket with removable sleeves!

What a brilliant piece of kit and really impressed with it (weight does not bother me), so now looking for the matching trousers.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 17, 2018 12:13 |  #8

Cargo pants. Lots of pockets and comfortable to wear.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 26, 2018 09:57 |  #9

2mnycars wrote in post #18554194 (external link)
Domke photo vest. It seemed costly. So I waited a long time. That was about 20 years ago....still looks like new

DaveL

I waited too, and I love mine. It's a shame they no longer sell them. I really haven't seen anything comparable in all aspects. Billingham has one, for upteen $$.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,172 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 26, 2018 10:23 |  #10

I agree with ShadowHillsPhoto. I had one of those vests but found it impractical to use in the field. Most of the time it was too hot for it. There is also the problem of bashing or crushing something valuable in the vest as you go through the usual contortions of shooting wildlife (my favorite subjects).

Eventually I listed my vest for sale. Nobody wanted it, so it went into the garbage.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,965 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 03, 2018 22:31 |  #11

During warm weather, I wear Columbia Silver Ridge Vest and during cold weather, I wear Promaster photographer's vest. I really like them both.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Vintage ­ Racer
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Apr 07, 2018 06:54 |  #12

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have now been using the 'stealth gear' extreme jacket and trousers for a couple of months and have found it to be brilliant for my needs (currently cold weather and trekking through undergrowth, or sitting in a hide for hours).

As temperatures are now rising, I have been able to open the vents in the trousers and jacket when needed and also remove the jacket sleeves and remain comfortable.

However, as it gets even warmer, it will be too hot to wear, so have purchased a (second-hand) 'billingham' vest for summer use.

I usually carry all my gear in a Lowepro 300 Vortex and leave it in the car when I get to a venue and just carry required lenses/hide/etc to the subject location.

sponsored links

1,201 views & 8 likes for this thread
What Photo Jackets/Clothing do people use?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.