Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FM Forum

this thread is locked
Lowside67
25 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 17, 2018 11:25 |  #16

Yes, you will need a passport.

$400USD is significantly less than the cost for shipping and Paypal fees which are about $675USD total.

-Mark

sponsored links
thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by thinkharder. (2 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2018 11:30 as a reply to  @ Lowside67's post |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Don't have passport - I'm an illegal alien :lol: and Proud of it!

My favorite movie: Catch Me If You Can

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,364 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 17, 2018 13:41 |  #18

If you are truly from Mars, you need a passport and also could need a visa. But if you are from USA, you simply need a passport...to get into Canada and also to get back into the USA (and you might also need Trump's blessing to come in as well)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2018 14:21 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18566075 (external link)
If you are truly from Mars, you need a passport and also could need a visa. But if you are from USA, you simply need a passport...to get into Canada and also to get back into the USA (and you might also need Trump's blessing to come in as well)

I sure didn't used one when I came to USA.

Wilt
41,364 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 17, 2018 14:23 |  #20

thinkharder wrote in post #18566106 (external link)
I sure didn't used one when I came to USA.

Well, that was apparently before Trump

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2018 14:33 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18566109 (external link)

LOL people are still crossing the borders even with trump.

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 17, 2018 14:34 |  #22

Wilt wrote in post #18566109 (external link)

Actually, it’s been since shortly after 9/11 that Americans have needed passports to travel to and from Canada.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 17, 2018 14:44 |  #23

Ok seriously. thinkharder, you should be talking to Lowside67. In private.

I’m sure you’ll find he wants to sell the lens as much as you want to buy it. He’s also probably as concerned as you are about being scammed. You’re getting a great deal on the lens, he’s taking a big loss on it.

If you don’t want to pay for shipping, and you really can’t travel to Vancouver, see if the seller is willing to come to the US. Don’t ask him to come to Detroit. Offer to go to Seattle, or Bellingham, and see if he’d be willing to drive down to meet you. If he is, offer to buy him lunch/dinner for his efforts. And while you guys are eating, you can talk about all of the great uses for that awesome lens you’re getting.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,904 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 17, 2018 14:44 |  #24

mcoren wrote in post #18566119 (external link)
Actually, it’s been since shortly after 9/11 that Americans have needed passports to travel to and from Canada.

Correct.

Shortly after 9-11 it became much harder to enter Canada, and I stopped visiting that country because they wanted, like, $140 just for a passport and I don't know where the heck my birth certificate is and don't want to go through any process to get a replacement. . It's just not worth it.

--------------- --------------- --------------- --------------- ---------------

Another thing to remember are the customs fees, which can be very substantial.

If you leave the U.S. without a 600mm f4, and try to return with one, then you will be subject to paying customs on the item. . Perhaps this added expense can be circumvented if the seller enters the U.S. to meet you instead of you entering Canada to meet him. . Not everything is reciprocal, so it is possible that you could dodge the law doing it one way where you couldn't dodge the law if you did it the other way.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2018 14:53 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

" If you leave the U.S. without a 600mm f4, and try to return with one, then you will be subject to paying customs on the item"

I didn't know that. How the border agent know that you not the owner of the lens? unless they search your car of suspicion of carrying illegal stuff.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,904 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 17, 2018 15:17 |  #26

thinkharder wrote in post #18566136 (external link)
" If you leave the U.S. without a 600mm f4, and try to return with one, then you will be subject to paying customs on the item"

I didn't know that. How the border agent know that you not the owner of the lens? unless they search your car of suspicion of carrying illegal stuff.

When you leave the U.S. with a valuable item, you have to declare it. . Then, when you declare it, they give you paperwork that proves that you had it when you left the country.

When you try to enter the U.S. with a valuable item, they will ask to see that paperwork that they gave you. . If you do not have it, then they believe that you did not take it out of the U.S. when you left, and then it is subject to importation customs.

I am a little surprised that you did not know this already; I thought that it was common knowledge.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
41,364 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (10 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2018 15:28 |  #27

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18566155 (external link)
When you leave the U.S. with a valuable item, you have to declare it. . Then, when you declare it, they give you paperwork that proves that you had it when you left the country.

When you try to enter the U.S. with a valuable item, they will ask to see that paperwork that they gave you. . If you do not have it, then they believe that you did not take it out of the U.S. when you left, and then it is subject to importation customs.

I am a little surprised that you did not know this already; I thought that it was common knowledge.

Passports were needed when going into Canada well before 2011 (for example it took over an hour in line at Immigration flying into Vancouver in 2006 due to multiple flights arriving about the same time), but I do recall back in the 1980s driving daily into Canada across the bridge from Detroit going to Windsor hotel, without any identification but our driver's licenses (which they never asked for). Driving back into the US after sailboat racing in BC was similarly in no need of documentation, back in the late 1970s

Having travelled with thousands of dollars in photogaphic gear, and also having travelled with tens of thousands of dollars of medical capital equipment, I can recall NEVER having to show any documentation that identified goods leaving USA and returning with same goods, over a 30 year period of much international travel-- into or out from any country of the world. I always had documentation for commercial goods, never formally endorsed list of photographic equipment I had in my possession.

Once, going OUTbound from Canada on the way home in USA, with a USD25k piece of medical equipment that had been used for surgery in Toronto General Hosp...and that was only for a bag inspection passing thru Security as the item under X-ray was not identifiable (but as soon as one agent saw what it was in the open, she quickly let me pass because she knew which body orifice the device as intended for.)

thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by thinkharder. (2 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2018 15:28 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18566155 (external link)

Ok thanx for the tip. Next time I go to Toronto I know what to prepare and expect.:-) I just won't declared anything.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,588 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2018 19:28 |  #29

I guess his true colors come out with the taunting of the mods and continued accusations/name calling/bragging/talk of customs fraud... :( too bad really...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,904 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 17, 2018 22:44 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18566361 (external link)
I guess his true colors come out with the taunting of the mods and continued accusations/name calling/bragging/talk of customs fraud... :( too bad really...

It is too bad. . ThinkHarder had been a member here for over 9 years. . In fact, he and I joined POTN at almost the same time; just one month apart.

I looked up his post history and read a lot of his old posts. . In fact, for years he posted frequently ..... up until May of 2016 .... then after that he suddenly stopped posting and didn't make a single post for a year and a half. . The vast majority of his older posts did not have the confrontational edginess that his recent posts almost all seemed to have.

Then three months ago he suddenly started posting again, and almost all of these recent posts have been very confrontational - in fact, it is almost as if he has been in "attack mode" and gone out of his way to insult other members, retailers, and even POTN itself. . The posts from years ago were not like that at all.

I feel bad for him. . He could have suffered some life tragedy that made him negative and bitter. . I just hope that at some point he is able to see that going through life angry is not going to fix whatever it is that happened to him, and that he is able to work on the anger issues and become pleasant and joyful again.

I will miss him here, because it is these controversial posts and issue-ridden members that I always find so engaging, and I always look forward to seeing what the confrontational person has posted lately. . These wayward people and their posts are often more entertaining than "regular" forum content.

sponsored links

2,956 views & 22 likes for this thread
FM Forum
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.