Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 17:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo editing monitor used for everyday Office stuff

gdeloach
114 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 17, 2018 17:31 |  #1

It seems everyone is suggesting moving to 4K monitors for editing photos. I understand the benefits of this but I use my computer primarily for home office use and for photo editing as a hobby. OK, it's a serious hobby.

How do 4K monitors display MS Office files like Excel and Word as well as PDF files? How is the display when using a browser? I have heard that due to the number of pixels, everything is smaller, to the point that they are sometimes difficult to see. I have also heard that fonts are sometimes "fuzzy" if scaled larger.

I hoping someone can clarify this for me.

Thanks

George
www.gdeloachphotograph​y.com

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 17, 2018 17:33 |  #2

All I know is this is part of the reason why I got a "normal" 27" IPS Dell instead.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by davesrose.

Feb 17, 2018 17:57 |  #3

There are more and more applications that are optimized for "hiDPI" scaling. hiDPI (or high DPI) scaling is when the application scales its font size to your desktop font size. I have found that most my software now supports hiDPI. Text and icons are scaled and are still crisp. Recent Microsoft applications (as well as Adobe Acrobat) support hiDPI, but if you have older productivity software, it may not support hiDPI. I'd recommend having Windows 10: Windows 10 has a nice compatibility feature for attempting to scale a specified application's font. To enable it, you go to the program's executable....then you right click on it and select properties. Go to the compatibility tab, select "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:", then select "System(Enhanced)". When I've done that for what few apps I have that don't support hiDPI (like X-Rite software), I've found it scales very well. Much better then when I first used a 4K monitor with Windows 7: which you'd have to use a hack were you made a manifest file (and it enlarged the graphics to produce fuzzy icons and text).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 17, 2018 23:05 |  #4

I'm actually running 5K @ 27" with win 10, in general the only software that I have had trouble with is graphics oriented, and multi platform open source. So that really means Adobe products, you need to move to the CC apps for HiDPI support. Also GIMP is not HiDPI, and neither is some open source electronics CAD programs that I have tried.

Of the general sort of productivity software, I'm still using Office 2007 without any issues at all. Well the splash screen is a very small image file, which is displayed at 100%, and being less than 1000 pixels wide looks absolutely tiny. That only shows while the program is loading, so not an issue. If for any reason you need to use IE 11 that has some issues, I needed it for viewing Sky TV online, it was the only browser that would work, it doesn't do the scaling through the OS. No problems with Chrome or the new MS browser. I haven't tried Firefox. It is really unusual to find programs that don't work using the Win 10 system scaling.

So yes I would really recommend a high res monitor running Windows 10.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tdlavigne
329 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 18, 2018 03:24 |  #5

I set scaling to 175% on my 27" 4k monitor and pretty much everything works perfectly when I'm not editing (ie. Chrome, Word, games, etc). The only exception I've run into was Final Draft, which scales terribly.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,719 posts
Joined May 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by RDKirk.

Mar 18, 2018 09:07 |  #6

gdeloach wrote in post #18566273 (external link)
It seems everyone is suggesting moving to 4K monitors for editing photos. I understand the benefits of this but I use my computer primarily for home office use and for photo editing as a hobby. OK, it's a serious hobby.

How do 4K monitors display MS Office files like Excel and Word as well as PDF files? How is the display when using a browser? I have heard that due to the number of pixels, everything is smaller, to the point that they are sometimes difficult to see. I have also heard that fonts are sometimes "fuzzy" if scaled larger.

I hoping someone can clarify this for me.

Thanks

Actually, I'm not sure I understand the benefit of 4K monitors for editing photos or why everyone (except, apparently, CyberDyneSystems) is suggesting it.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,937 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 19, 2018 01:13 |  #7

RDKirk wrote in post #18588421 (external link)
Actually, I'm not sure I understand the benefit of 4K monitors for editing photos or why everyone (except, apparently, CyberDyneSystems) is suggesting it.

Because 4k monitors are new... and therefore better and your monitor is more that 6 months old and therefore (although it works perfectly) in need of upgrading.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 19, 2018 07:29 |  #8

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18589019 (external link)
Because 4k monitors are new... and therefore better and your monitor is more that 6 months old and therefore (although it works perfectly) in need of upgrading.

Indeed, and for many folks quite apt, but personally my previous monitor was a good bit more than just 6 months old. I can't be sure just how old, I acquired it secondhand in return for fixing a system for which they had already bought a new monitor, thinking the one that I have had failed. I'd had it for a six or seven years when I got my new system. The laptop lashup that I was using was even older, over ten years old.

So I was in a position where I had to replace my computer system. I had used a 2.5K 27" iMac a number of times, but linear resolution wise it was only a very minor improvement on my old monitor. I had though seen the 5K iMac and was actually considering one. Looking at them in store is of course not as ideal as seeing one in the environment you will be using it in but still I was impressed. Finding that I could get the Dell with essentially the same panel kind of sealed the deal for me, as I really wanted a full tower system, so that I didn't end up with the all in one monitor, and then a load of external drives in separate enclosures.

RDKirk wrote in post #18588421 (external link)

Again only personal opinion you understand, but looking at images on my monitor at 218 PPI is actually very close to looking at a backlit transparency. At normal viewing distance you cannot see any individual pixel detail on the monitor. Even if I view it with a magnifying lens, I use an objective lens from an old Tasco 3-9×40 telescopic sight which has an FL of about 5"/127mm, all I can see is individual pixels, not the RGB sub elements. You know how often people will say don't worry too much, it will look great when printed? Well I almost get that same effect when viewing an image on this screen at 100%. I now often check images destined for the web at 200%, just so that I can get an idea of what they will look like on a monitor of close to average linear resolution.

I had been wanting a monitor with this sort of resolution since owning my first Samsung Galaxy Note, which had a similar resolution. My current, rather old, Note 3 has 384 PPI, and yes I would like a 27" sized monitor with a similar resolution. Why should I have my desktop display be limited in a way that my small devices are not, and have not really been in this current decade?

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,719 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 19, 2018 08:47 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18589113 (external link)
Again only personal opinion you understand, but looking at images on my monitor at 218 PPI is actually very close to looking at a backlit transparency. At normal viewing distance you cannot see any individual pixel detail on the monitor. Even if I view it with a magnifying lens, I use an objective lens from an old Tasco 3-9×40 telescopic sight which has an FL of about 5"/127mm, all I can see is individual pixels, not the RGB sub elements. You know how often people will say don't worry too much, it will look great when printed? Well I almost get that same effect when viewing an image on this screen at 100%. I now often check images destined for the web at 200%, just so that I can get an idea of what they will look like on a monitor of close to average linear resolution.

I had been wanting a monitor with this sort of resolution since owning my first Samsung Galaxy Note, which had a similar resolution. My current, rather old, Note 3 has 384 PPI, and yes I would like a 27" sized monitor with a similar resolution. Why should I have my desktop display be limited in a way that my small devices are not, and have not really been in this current decade?

Alan

I'm not sure that makes sense to me in a practical way. At normal viewing distances I already can't see individual pixel detail on my 27-inch Dell Pro. I probably could with a magnifying lens (or getting really close without my super-myopia vision). But why would I want to?

I edit for large wall prints, with 30x40 as my desired size. Nobody of my customers is going to push it harder than that on a monitor. I'll enlarge to 100% just to do fine-grain editing (removing nits on fabric and such). But enlarging the image enlarges the image pixels, not the screen pixels, so if al already can't see them, then I still can't see them.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 19, 2018 11:23 |  #10

I've found one advantage of a 4K monitor for photography is judging sharpness. When I've compared a photo on a 4K monitor vs 1080P one (at same screen size), DOF seems more finite with 4K (IE it's easier to see what's in focus). Prices for higher resolution displays have really come down in price. Now, one of the main features for higher priced displays is HDR (HDR10 format). This feature may or may not be useful for photography, if you're intending to be able to also print in AdobeRGB or ProPhoto space. But for editing RAWs, it does have better color gradation. Although UHD TV sets are supposed to have better dynamic range and color reproduction then computer monitors.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

1,032 views & 3 likes for this thread
Photo editing monitor used for everyday Office stuff
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.