Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Feb 2018 (Friday) 02:57
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which camera should I get"
Used 1dx
61.9%
New 5d4
38.1%

21 voters, 21 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d4 or 1dX

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,926 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (10 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2018 12:12 |  #16

1DX advantages:
- battery life
- burst rate
- configurability/saved configurations to file
- a bit faster AF (depending on lens)

5D4 advantages:
- better low ISO DR (under 800)
- better high ISO (very good for sports shooters)
- more resolution (18 vs 30) - good for crops, and resizing down to 18Mpx and greatly improving IQ
- touch screen
- flicker control (for indoor shooters)
- wifi (including remote control and web services to upload to Drive, Facebook, etc)
- gps
- DPAF live view focusing
- larger JPG buffer (good for sports shooters on a deadline)
- 4K video (if that is your thing)

Despite the threadstarter having made the decision already, there might be others that this info might be useful to.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,651 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 19, 2018 12:52 |  #17

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18567474 (external link)
1DX advantages:
- battery life
- burst rate
- configurability/saved configurations to file
- a bit faster AF (depending on lens)

5D4 advantages:
- better low ISO DR (under 800)
- better high ISO (very good for sports shooters)
- more resolution (18 vs 30) - good for crops, and resizing down to 18Mpx and greatly improving IQ
- touch screen
- flicker control (for indoor shooters)
- wifi (including remote control and web services to upload to Drive, Facebook, etc)
- gps
- DPAF live view focusing
- larger JPG buffer (good for sports shooters on a deadline)
- 4K video (if that is your thing)

Despite the threadstarter having made the decision already, there might be others that this info might be useful to.

As for better High ISO- I would call it a draw at 12800 ISO. Both are very close on a properly exposed file

you also forgot

Build

weather sealing

A night & day AF system that heavily favors the 1Dx over the 5D4 especially when it comes to Servo use. The 5D4 Just cant do what a 1Dx1 does after shooting both side by side and comparing to others who shot both cameras in exact conditions. The 1Dx1 blew the 5D4 away all 3 times.

The 5D4 is a great camera. So is the 1Dx. But when it comes down to performance for sports and wildlife shooting and ability to capture a moving object in low light....the 5D4 is not close at all

Im sure others that have both and use both will agree.

No disrespect. The 1Dx has big advantages over a 5D4

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,926 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (18 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2018 21:04 |  #18

The teardown on the 7d2 and 5d4 (external link) show the build and sealing to actually quite good.

The 5d4, resized down to the 1dx, seems to show a bit less noise at high ISOs, at least easier to clean up. Less is less, not equal, but yes, with normal viewing conditions, they are close. I just think for a family man shooting a myriad of things, the 5D4 is just a better all around camera, there are just so many more features for family shots, kids sports, etc.

Regarding low light AF, the 5D4 has 1 EV better low light AI servo, -3 EV vs -2 EV. The 1DX shares the 5D3 performance in this regard. I would love to see what others have to say, but I have been able to track stage action in low light with no issues on the 5D4, something the 1D4 was terrible at. I am glad the newer 1D series perform better than the old though. Of course these are published specs, so indeed, perhaps the 1DX can track servo better than the 5D4 for stage presentations or other low light events, despite the 1EV advantage of the 5D4.

Another 5D IV improvement is the 1 stop better low light AF capability, now rated to EV -3 in One Shot mode. Being able to focus in 1/2 as much light as with the 5D III should not go un-noticed by those shooting in light-starved venues, especially wedding and event photographers. The identically-rated 1D X II's center AF point focused on a label (with the necessary contrast) in light levels calling for a 20-second exposure at f/2.8 and ISO 200 using the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and the 5D Mark IV matched this performance.

Pixel Perfect wrote:
In very low light 5D4 is better I found. I was getting snappy AF in near darkness with centre point using 500 f/4 + 2x @ 12800, well after sunset. Whether that hold sup for tracking, but I have no doubt 5D4 will AF in lower light than 1DX. I found the 5D4 was excellent in AI servo as is the 1DX of course. Haven't had a chance to do a rigorous side-by-side, but after several hundred shots at X-mas with waders and BIF's I'm very happy with the 5D4. It at least matches the 1DX in most cases I had and it is clearly better than 5D3, which I found wasn't as good as 5DsR and a fair way behind 1DX in many situtations, although still good.

Adobe clearly changed profiles for the 5DsR and 5D4 and need different settings than the older 1DX or 5D3. I've found LR 6 overly constrasty and use totally different settings now than I ever used to need. So IMO when I open 5D4 in LR it I need to bring constrast down a lot more than with 1DX, I'm often using -30 as opposed to -10. I haven't really noticed less saturation though.

I'm using DxO more and more for PP now as the I can get better detail out of it (lens profiles are better) and it rivals DPP with DLO for detail extraction and it's PRIME NR blows DPP and LR out of the water. If only they would implement local adjustments. I have just isntalled trial of C1 10 so will see how it compares.

Also important, something I left out, is the all 61 pt f8 focusing. I am not sure what the 1DX offers in this regard, but the 5D4 offers f8 AF.

Especially important to wildlife photographers is that the 5D IV supports AF with f/8 max aperture lens combinations (a lens plus an extender) at all 61 individually selectable points with all 27 central AF points providing cross-type AF support. Version III extenders are required for this functionality and most current lenses are fully supported, though there are some limitations as noted in the manual.

One more sample, showing the advantage of the 5D4. Due to the resolution increase, you can post process the 5D4 to the point that once you equalize the two, the 5D4 shows more detail and less noise. The resolution and noise signature of the 5D4 creates better post results. The 2 images here show what the 5D4 has over the 1DX for resolution, then post processed and equalized. At 200%, the differences are noticeable.

In the end, one could probably just flip a coin and get a good camera, no matter what. Not everyone pushes their equipment to the extremes. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,926 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 19, 2018 22:42 |  #19

Here is the equalized result raised up about 50%, something a parent might do when shooting kids sports, or a wildlife shooter without a TC or long lens. This shows how the 5D4 provides a better basis for post processing. There is less pixelation on the 5D4, and the letters are crisper. This is good for feather detail for a birder, for example. or getting your kid's expression as they make contact with a ball.

HOSTED PHOTO

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2018 01:44 as a reply to  @ post 18565703 |  #20

Well I got it today and from the breif play I had when I got home from work I'm actually blown away by how much better the AF is than the 7d2 (which I thought was pretty good)
I had my kids running at me on the back lawn with my 300f2.8 mounted and it hardly missed a single shot, I'm so excited to test it out on some serious sport over the coming weeks but so far so good

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,651 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 20, 2018 19:25 |  #21

Milutiche wrote in post #18567999 (external link)
Well I got it today and from the breif play I had when I got home from work I'm actually blown away by how much better the AF is than the 7d2 (which I thought was pretty good)
I had my kids running at me on the back lawn with my 300f2.8 mounted and it hardly missed a single shot, I'm so excited to test it out on some serious sport over the coming weeks but so far so good

Yeah I agree. If it wasnt for reach needs from the crop sensor, I think i would sell my 7D2. not anywhere close to what the 1Dx does

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,819 posts
Gallery: 274 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 21, 2018 12:32 |  #22

Welcome to the 1DX family...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 21, 2018 17:05 |  #23

I think after all this the consensus is use the 1dx2 if you need the 14fps and think it has the better servo auto focus, or go with the 5d4 for an all around camera. No? Yes?

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 21, 2018 17:13 |  #24

chuckmiller wrote in post #18569266 (external link)
I think after all this the consensus is use the 1dx2 if you need the 14fps and think it has the better servo auto focus, or go with the 5d4 for an all around camera. No? Yes?

No.

I don't believe that the OP ever said that he was considering the 1Dx mark 2. . At least it was never part of this conversation, so far as I am aware ..... although sometimes someone will jump into a thread and suggest something that an OP has clearly said is out of their budget, which is entirely inapproproate forum behavior.

But I don't recall that happening here in this thread. . But it may have ..... I don't remember everything that was said.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 21, 2018 17:27 |  #25

Oh you're right, 1dx not a 1dx2.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

sponsored links

3,228 views & 33 likes for this thread
5d4 or 1dX
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.