Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 01 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 16:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a6500

ericz34
70 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Feb 18, 2018 07:17 |  #241

Would any of you recommend the a6500 over the 6D? I’m thinking of jumping ship.

sponsored links
idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,625 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2018 07:38 as a reply to  @ ericz34's post |  #242

Sounds like there's maybe a new camera coming from Sony later this month. I'd hold out and see what it will be.

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

tmalone893
Goldmember
1,980 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 18, 2018 10:27 |  #243

ericz34 wrote in post #18566586 (external link)
Would any of you recommend the a6500 over the 6D? I’m thinking of jumping ship.

Why did you buy the a6500? I think they are different tools for different situations. I have a Canon full frame and the a6500. I use my Canon for sports and portraits. I use the Sony for when I'm exploring, landscapes, sunsets, and city scapes because of the small size to carry around. I can pack my Sony 2-3 lenses in a small bag with my drone and I'm off. I can't do that as easily with my Canon. That being said , I wouldn't dare leave it at home when covering sports. I do believe they are a push on portraits but I trust myself more with the Canon. Just my .02 in evaluating what you want a camera for and what you are seeking. Good luck.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

ericz34
70 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Feb 18, 2018 15:34 as a reply to  @ tmalone893's post |  #244

Thing is I travel a lot, and the smaller size of the a6500 would be nice. My biggest problem is I also love doing a lot of Astrophotography and some night time city photography. But I also started to do some video work. Which the 6D isn’t the best for. I was considering the a6500 for its video performance, Small compact form and I’ve heard the picture quality is great. How is it in low light?

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2018 17:05 |  #245

ericz34 wrote in post #18566907 (external link)
Thing is I travel a lot, and the smaller size of the a6500 would be nice. My biggest problem is I also love doing a lot of Astrophotography and some night time city photography. But I also started to do some video work. Which the 6D isn’t the best for. I was considering the a6500 for its video performance, Small compact form and I’ve heard the picture quality is great. How is it in low light?

Small/compact - Check
IQ - Check
Excellent video -check (especially if you know how to edit with color grading, rolling shutter fix, etc)
Low light on a tripod - check
General low light photography - my canon FF cameras allowed for lower ISO's and thus cleaner images. I don't really like going above ISO 800 if I'm really wanting a clean image. 1600 is very very usable. All depends on the light and your tolerance.

Cory
flickr (external link)

Feedback

ericz34
70 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Feb 18, 2018 17:57 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #246

I think I might rent one for some photography, and see how the low light performance stand up to the 6D. I feel like the a6500 take the 6D in every category except low light (because it’s aps-c). I suppose I could also get a used a7rii?

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2018 19:40 as a reply to  @ ericz34's post |  #247

Good idea to rent and put it through the paces. I’m definitely not a fan boy so I’m not gonna say it’s mind blowing or the answer for someone looking for “one camera for everything”. But, the AF and IQ are pretty darn good.....all in a very compact size. It works for me. I’d say low light is it’s Achilles’ heel.

Cory
flickr (external link)

Feedback

ericz34
70 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Feb 18, 2018 20:52 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #248

If not I think I’d shoot for the a7rii, buy once cry once I guess.

Keema
247 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 19, 2018 19:33 |  #249

Just a question, does the A6500 can lock on a focus if the light is at -2ev as what can the A7rII can do?

I just saw a video on youtube from dpreview when they were using the A7rii.

Specification wise, and both has the same number of phase detection af points as well as the contrast detect. With that, does the A6300 can do the same?

Thanks..

PJmak
THREAD ­ STARTER
658 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by PJmak.

May 07, 2018 12:50 |  #250

2000 iso unedited jpeg straight from the camera.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Viewbug (external link)

sponsored links

34,448 views & 270 likes for this thread
a6500
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.