Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 15 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 01:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help :) filters and things

Stratographic
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 15, 2018 01:02 |  #1

Having spent the last 7 years doing beauty/fashion/glamour and other "model" oriented shoots, I thought I'd try something different and feel that landscape photography would be a nice change.

I've been watching lots of videos and the thing I'm missing is filters, and I'm at a loss. I don't want individual filters for each lens so reckon I'll go the route of one of those system things that fit on just about any lens (descriptions aren't my strong point).

But what do I need as a good general starting kit? The Lee ones seem recommended but I don't know what I need to get (fittings and a few "most useful" filters).

Help :)

www.Stratographic.net

sponsored links
DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,618 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 15, 2018 01:23 |  #2

before investing on filters, you can do some sunrise and sunset shots with out filters. most of my shots are with out filters. a CPL would be the one filter to get, but even I dont use them. i should... but i dont.

to answer your question, lee was in the past. there are other options now like haida, firecrest, nisi. i have 100x100 square filters by lee. in general, you would need a filter holder and the filter rings. some go to save money and get the biggest size ring and then use step up rings.

additional accessories would be a shutter remote for shooting in bulb for if you want a longer shutter. most of the time, at the times I go, im fine with 30 seconds. but thats me, you decide what you want.

a tripod is a must of course. get a good one.

once you feel that you really want to get into landscape and want the filters, by all means.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2018 14:43 |  #3

I'm with DTBaan. I feel that the Polarizer is the only true "must have" filter for a landscape shooter as what it does can not be replicated in post. Along with a CPL I also use solid ND filters for long exposures. Grad ND's are all personal preference. Some people swear that a landscape shooter needs a good set of grad ND's on soft edge, hard edge, and reverse. Some feel that exposure blending in post is a better option. You'll have to decide of what opinion you are.

If you decide you need Grad ND's then get a spare filter system. Lee is good but, again, like DTBaan said there are other good options.

If you decide you don't want grad ND's then you can go with either a square system or round filters. Personally I use round. I have 77mm filters (the largest filter size for my lenses) and then I use step down rings to mate them to my smaller lenses. I personally like Firecrest filters from Formatt-Hi-tech but plenty of good filters out now a days

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,182 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2018 15:13 |  #4

Polarizer, yes; absolutely.

As for the rest, it will depend on the types of scenes you're shooting. If you're shooting a lot of landscapes with trees/hills/ect, I'd start with a couple of soft graduated filters; if you're shooting a lot of seascapes or flat landscapes, a couple of hard grads; and finally, if you're shooting a lot of sunrise/sunset shots w/ the sun in the frame, I'd get yourself a nice 3 or 4 stop reverse grad.

I recommend not spending money on straight ND filters simply because you can slide the grads down far enough in the holder to ACT as a grad if you don't want the graduation in the shot.

If you're of a more software bent, you can skip the grad filters and simply blend exposures in post; a lot of folks are moving that direction, but I just don't follow the tools well enough to pull that one off, myself.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Stratographic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 15, 2018 15:33 |  #5

Thanks everyone, some stuff to think about.
I could do it in post, I'm a bit of a photoshop geek, but I'm trying not to rely on post processing too much for this, I quite like the idea of using whatever filters at the time so I get a better feel for it, I've nothing against bracketing and merging, but I want to do this and learn new things :)

www.Stratographic.net

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,182 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2018 17:48 |  #6

Stratographic wrote in post #18564603 (external link)
Thanks everyone, some stuff to think about.
I could do it in post, I'm a bit of a photoshop geek, but I'm trying not to rely on post processing too much for this, I quite like the idea of using whatever filters at the time so I get a better feel for it, I've nothing against bracketing and merging, but I want to do this and learn new things :)

If you go w/ the grad NDs, I would skip anything with a 1-stop (.3) filter...modern digital bodies can deal with a stop difference easily as long as you're shooting RAW. I would recommend maybe grabbing a 3 stop (.6) hard and 3 stop (.6) soft grad to begin with and see what your needs are from there. Add the reverse grad if you think you really want to do sunset shots.

The Lee system is great (what I use) but you also pay for the name as much as anything. Some other makers now have their own 100x150 systems that some folks like as well or better; Firecrest, NiSi and some others are options to look into.

When you get them, you'll need adapter rings to mount the holder to your lenses; be sure to get a wide angle adapter ring in order to minimize vignetting and such when you have multiple filters mounted at once. The wide angle rings allow the filters to sit closer to the lens and help keep them from interfering in the endges of your images.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

antongorlin
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Feb 19, 2018 20:10 |  #7

Agree with DTBaan, I use no filters and have no regrets. Once upon a time I had a whole bag of filters and used them a lot, but just stopped doing that. I do blending or underexpose photos and that works way better than with filters. That's for the gradual.
You may want plain ND filter to shoot longer exposures. People already advised on that.

sponsored links

502 views & 1 like for this thread
Help :) filters and things
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.