Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 00:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stuff in the snow

Stratographic
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 15, 2018 00:39 |  #1

Took these at the weekend, was going for a slightly different look than my usual. Feel free to critique any way you want :)
Was going for a carefree, joyful thing in the second, and more of a moody beauty in the first.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.Stratographic.net

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,188 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2018 01:09 |  #2

Moody beauty? Check; she's bloody *stunning*! I like the muted colors/saturation but the hair strand just bothers me a bit...it's like that tiny twig that birds like to 'hide' behind in the bushes :p Generally, love this shot.

In number 2, I'd want her either cut off a little higher or a little lower; it sort of looks like your landscape got photobombed here. I sort of see that person that always wanders into your shot before turning around to see what you must be taking a shot of, just in time for the shutter to go off :p

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Stratographic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 15, 2018 01:53 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #3

I get that the hair strand could be annoying :) I like it in this picture, adds to the feel of the cold windy thing that was going on, but yeah, I know that's a 50/50 point :)

On the second one, I'll be honest, it's so not like how I'd usually crop or frame anything :) I actually like that you said it looks photobombed, that's (almost) what I was going for, that sort of, spur of the moment "I just wandered into this landscape and wow look at it" thing... I think. Again though, it's a tough sell lol, I think I like it because it's a bit, what's the word, jaunty, impulsive, but I totally get what you mean. The cropping I'm happy with, in my head I need to keep a bit of her legs below the skirt, too tight and I'd lose the "dancy" feel. But if this was someone else's picture I'd probably say much the same as you said :) And your points are very valid, so thank you :) I'll maybe have a play with it and see how it looks a little looser on the crop :)

www.Stratographic.net

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 15, 2018 02:43 |  #4

I really like the background that you achieved in the first image. . It works so well because the colors are so flat and muted, so that it isn't drawing any attention away from your beautiful model. . Also, the background colors are a wonderful complement to her hair and wardrobe.

The second image kind of reminds me of Brooke Shaden's work. . You may want to check out her imagery for some inspiration if you plan on doing more of these style of images.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Stratographic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 15, 2018 02:57 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #5

I love Brooke shaden, though oddly I wasn't thinking of her style when I was doing that second image, but I guess these things can creep in subconsciously at times :)

Thanks

www.Stratographic.net

BryanIS
31 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 20, 2018 03:42 |  #6

As a rule I don't care for having a lot of head room on the subject if you're not including the whole subject. I think in the second one it works because it feels candid. In the first though the excess background is unnecessary. You could probably just eliminate it by switching to a 4:5 crop and have a stronger portrait.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,890 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 20, 2018 03:43 as a reply to  @ BryanIS's post |  #7

Agreed. In the second one it works really, really well.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

emomophantom
285 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 12, 2018 21:48 |  #8

I think the hair strand in the middle adds interest and it at least appears intentional. I dig it. Also, I love lots of head room. You shot the middle finger at two "rules" in a way I would call successful. I like the color grading as well.

The TL;DR version: these are very good.

Cheers -Jon
www.thatverynextthing.​com (external link)

Nashville Band Photographer / Nashville Music Photographer

www.thatverynextthing.​com (external link)

sponsored links

725 views & 5 likes for this thread
Stuff in the snow
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.