Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First OCF portraits - Please be harsh so I can improve my work

hnicpena
69 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2018 19:19 |  #1

I am new to portraits and the world of OCF. I'd like to make some money doing this as I really enjoy photography.

Any and all constructive criticism is welcome to help me improve my work.

Senior Portrait 1.

Senior Portrait 2.

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,400 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 20, 2018 20:30 |  #2

For a first effort the lighting is spectacular! You look very seasoned to me. If I were to have one critique, it's not on the lighting. The skin tones (especially in the first one) look a bit yellow to me. A little too warm if you ask me. The second one is better but maybe still just a bit too warm.

If you don't mind me asking, what are some resources you learned from to get such amazing first OCF portraits? My first OCF portraits I'm sure looked like complete crap.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

hnicpena
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2018 20:56 |  #3

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18568685 (external link)
For a first effort the lighting is spectacular! You look very seasoned to me. If I were to have one critique, it's not on the lighting. The skin tones (especially in the first one) look a bit yellow to me. A little too warm if you ask me. The second one is better but maybe still just a bit too warm.

If you don't mind me asking, what are some resources you learned from to get such amazing first OCF portraits? My first OCF portraits I'm sure looked like complete crap.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I spent about 6 months watching youtube videos (not any specific person) and saw that they all had the same theme - Expose for the background then adjust the light. I thought I could do the same thing and just did the same thing. I think what drove me to finally pull the trigger and purchase a light was that I thought I could do better than some of those that were teaching and here I am seeing what people think and seeing where I can improve.

aezoss
412 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Nov 2013
Post edited 8 months ago by aezoss. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2018 23:48 |  #4

Well done. Nice smiles. But since you asked for it

1. Green fringing around the tail of the shirt. Easy fix in LR/PS. What did you use as light + modifier? Hot spots on the left side of the model's face and bridge of her nose are distracting. Try moving the light closer, use the wide panel if it was a speedlite and adding a layer of diffusion. A reflector on the right side could even it out a bit while retaining the shadows (or moving the reflector around if one was used). I think the goal here is nice even light with no obvious hot spots. You could tone it down in post but it's better to adjust the lighting and get it right in camera.

2. Background lines leading away from the model (left to right). Maybe it's just me but they're actually drawing my attention to the right side of the frame and I'm more interested in the graffiti than the subject.

Both. DOF. I'm all for shallow DOF but it's not working for me on either of these images. Out of focus hands on 1 are distracting. Nice boots, I'd like to see what's going on there. Changing the pose to seated would let you capture more of the clothing detail while still blowing out the background. Same thing for 2. My preference is to have the entire model from hands and tip of nose to back of head in focus. This one could have been shot at f/4 or 5.6 without dramatically altering the quality of the image. OOF wall is fine, but it's also an interesting background that may be worth preserving. Well designed light can be more effective than a blurry background. I think you captured the subject's assertive edge really well. The background works nicely for the attitude she is projecting.

Lee

hnicpena
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 21, 2018 05:44 |  #5

aezoss wrote in post #18568763 (external link)
Well done. Nice smiles. But since you asked for it

1. Green fringing around the tail of the shirt. Easy fix in LR/PS. What did you use as light + modifier? Hot spots on the left side of the model's face and bridge of her nose are distracting. Try moving the light closer, use the wide panel if it was a speedlite and adding a layer of diffusion. A reflector on the right side could even it out a bit while retaining the shadows (or moving the reflector around if one was used). I think the goal here is nice even light with no obvious hot spots. You could tone it down in post but it's better to adjust the lighting and get it right in camera.

2. Background lines leading away from the model (left to right). Maybe it's just me but they're actually drawing my attention to the right side of the frame and I'm more interested in the graffiti than the subject.

Both. DOF. I'm all for shallow DOF but it's not working for me on either of these images. Out of focus hands on 1 are distracting. Nice boots, I'd like to see what's going on there. Changing the pose to seated would let you capture more of the clothing detail while still blowing out the background. Same thing for 2. My preference is to have the entire model from hands and tip of nose to back of head in focus. This one could have been shot at f/4 or 5.6 without dramatically altering the quality of the image. OOF wall is fine, but it's also an interesting background that may be worth preserving. Well designed light can be more effective than a blurry background. I think you captured the subject's assertive edge really well. The background works nicely for the attitude she is projecting.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I can see all the valid points you make. For both shots I'm using a 60" octabox. In the first shot it was about 4-5 feet away. On the second shot it was about 3 feet away.

All the things you mentioned are things that I honestly didn't even think about during the posing. Something I'll have to learn to be better at as I progress. I think that maybe I declared victory mentally because I was happy with the lighting?

Thanks again!

aezoss
412 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 22, 2018 03:08 |  #6

hnicpena wrote in post #18568852 (external link)
I think that maybe I declared victory mentally because I was happy with the lighting?

It's a great start. Looks like you interact with subjects well. The expressions appear genuine which makes it easy to look past minor technical issues. Master OCF plus natural light applications and you've got it made.

Lee

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,903 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 22, 2018 07:36 |  #7

Nicely done.

And what he said.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

hnicpena
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 22, 2018 18:46 |  #8

aezoss wrote in post #18569553 (external link)
It's a great start. Looks like you interact with subjects well. The expressions appear genuine which makes it easy to look past minor technical issues. Master OCF plus natural light applications and you've got it made.

Lee

Thanks!

hnicpena
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 22, 2018 18:47 |  #9

olafs osh wrote in post #18569633 (external link)
Nicely done.

And what he said.

Thank you!

Marc ­ Bergreen
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 02, 2018 17:47 |  #10

The light looks well balanced and natural. I do agree that the boots are a little distracting. I think they are enough out of focus that it was a bit distracting.

Marc Bergreen
Colorado Adventure Wedding Photographer (external link)
Colorado Mountain Wedding Photographer (external link)

hnicpena
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 02, 2018 23:13 |  #11

Marc Bergreen wrote in post #18576155 (external link)
The light looks well balanced and natural. I do agree that the boots are a little distracting. I think they are enough out of focus that it was a bit distracting.

Thank you for the feedback!

sponsored links

1,009 views & 7 likes for this thread
First OCF portraits - Please be harsh so I can improve my work
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.