Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 15 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seriously thinking about moving to nikon

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 28, 2017 01:37 |  #151

TheNewLegend wrote in post #18301813 (external link)
Hi,
I currently have a canon 6d and I want to make an upgrade.
I was thinking about the canon 5d mark iv but it is really expensive.
I really want a camera with far better DR, auto focus system, more FPS and MP will be nice too.
Since the 5d mark iv costs so much I was thinking about moving to Nikon, the only problem with that is changing my whole canon lens collection, and I'm not sure if theres a Nikon equivalent lens for every canon lens i have.
Canon 16-35mm f\4 IS - this is the best lens I own, I just love it and I'm not familiar with a Nikon equivalent ( - 14-24mm doesn't take filters)
Tamron 24-70 2.8 is (I'm not pleased with this lens anyway)
Canon 50mm 1.8 (wanted to upgrade to sigma 50mm art 1.4 anyway)
canon 100mm f2.8 macro
Samyang 85mm 1.4
canon 70-200mm f4

I was thinking about Nikon D750 or d810.

Any advice?

The idea of this kind of post is a amusing. At first I thought is this someone from Nikon posting anonymous, then spotted over 100 posts by your user name. If you were starting from scratch, it would sound less funny. But I can't see why Canon or Nikon owners would switch to the other side if they were invested in a lot of gear. The question you asked, could be asked in reverse ... "does Canon have an equivalent for every Nikon lens?" ... and the bodies aren't too far apart.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
EricJrSax
186 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 28, 2017 09:58 |  #152

mdvaden wrote in post #18505652 (external link)
The idea of this kind of post is a amusing. At first I thought is this someone from Nikon posting anonymous, then spotted over 100 posts by your user name. If you were starting from scratch, it would sound less funny. But I can't see why Canon or Nikon owners would switch to the other side if they were invested in a lot of gear. The question you asked, could be asked in reverse ... "does Canon have an equivalent for every Nikon lens?" ... and the bodies aren't too far apart.

There are enough differences between the two where a switch would reasonable IF those differences are important to the owner. There are a lot of shooters switching from Canon and Nikon to go over to Sony as well, are you saying those decisions are unwarranted as well? I mean in the end, few photogs are unable to tell the difference in SOOC images,... especially JPEGs. However, there are quite a bit who can,... Nikons tend to shoot a little cooler than Canons, Sony tends to favor magenta more than both Nikon and Canon. Then there's the way the camera falls into the hand and the approach to capturing the image, which is very important to some. There are some photogs who love the way Sony approaches taking pictures with the 'eye AF', EVF, and silence,... but absolutely hate the way it falls into the hands. Point is, there are more reasons to consider moving from one platform to another other than Dynamic Range.

I started with Canon, as most people did in the past. But as I began to understand more about photography, and the fact that my school is stocked exclusively with Nikon, it didn't take me long to recognize the advantages Nikon had over the Canon I owned. Luckily for me, I wasn't heavily invested into any ecosystem,... I was still borrowing lenses from friends and mentors, and Nikon bodies and glass from school. I thought I was doing something when my parents helped me upgrade from a hand-me-down Canon T5 to the new Canon 70D,... whew! Then high school happened, and I was introduced to the world of Nikon, and medium format and 35mm film,...whoa! The rest ain't hard to figure out,... Nikon!

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 28, 2017 12:11 |  #153

EricJrSax wrote in post #18505813 (external link)
There are enough differences between the two where a switch would reasonable IF those differences are important to the owner. There are a lot of shooters switching from Canon and Nikon to go over to Sony as well, are you saying those decisions are unwarranted as well?

If I were starting from scratch ... I view Nikon and Canon, and partly Sony, as each having so much available, that any "system" would seem more than adequate. Unless there was a specific niche or need. So I can imagine choosing any from scratch. But with so much available for all of them, switching brands seems pointless and expensive. Assuming there's no special need.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 21, 2017 22:54 |  #154

craig_k wrote in post #18487321 (external link)
The best reason I can think of is that with Nikon you actually receive printed versions of the full operational manuals.....

I disagree.

I have no use for a printed manual. . I couldn't be bothered with actually looking something up in such a fashion. . Looking through the huge index to find what page something is on, then turning the pages to find the right one. . That is so antiquated!

If the manual - or user guide - is online, then I can just do a quick search for the thing I want to look up - and presto! - there it is, popping up as my first search result. . A quick tap of the thumb and I have the page I want right there in front of me.

But I usually don't even bother to do that, because then I would have to read the text. . It's a lot better to just look for help on YouTube, where someone will have made a step-by-step video about how to set up such and such a custom function, or whatnot. . Following a YouTube video is much easier than forcing my eyes to read all of that fine print.

I'm glad Canon doesn't waste paper and ink on printed manuals.

craig_k wrote in post #18487321 (external link)
For canon to have the galactically stupid, 100% arrogant attitude that a fully operational printed version manual is cost prohibitive and "just not environmental friendly" is ludicrous and totally off base insane hogwash . . . . But to pay multi-thousands for a complex machine without any printed version of a full instructional manual because "everyone has a smart phone" is off the planet completely out of touch with reality, mindset for corporate mandate and to exhibit.

Ha ha! . It's funny that you have such strong feelings about something that doesn't even matter.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,666 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 24, 2017 20:44 |  #155

Since moving to Nikon very recently, my inventory is currently -

Nikon D850
Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G
Nikkor AF-S Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8E ED VR
NikKor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR

Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED is on order and I might add a prime or two, not sure whether to go for Nikon flash system or give the cheap Chinese knockoffs a try.

Cheers,
Bear Dale
Some of my photos featured Bear Dale (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 24, 2017 21:00 |  #156

The grass is definitely always greener, or so they say, but man that Nikon 105 f1. 4 really puts out the goods from what I've seen. Slap that on any recent FF Nikon and that is a tempting way to spend some some money.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Mathmans
227 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 26, 2017 02:43 |  #157

About flashes....
I have SB-700 Nikon flash and must say it's doing great job for me.
TTL, TTL-BL just works. If I bounce flash from the wall or something, TTL also works fine.
I wonder if cheaper flashes have so good algorithm to calculate bounce TTL and TTL-BL.

EricJrSax
186 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 14, 2018 22:03 |  #158

fotoworx wrote in post #18525713 (external link)
Since moving to Nikon very recently, my inventory is currently -

Nikon D850
Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G
Nikkor AF-S Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8E ED VR
NikKor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR

Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED is on order and I might add a prime or two, not sure whether to go for Nikon flash system or give the cheap Chinese knockoffs a try.

If it ain't too late,... put a cancellation on that 14-24 order and re-direct those funds towards a Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC. You'll be happy you did. And Tamron's 45mm f/1.8 is a whole lot more interesting and sharper than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4. Still,... impressive setup,... any look-sees over your shoulder back at Canonville?

Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by Cham_001.

Feb 16, 2018 03:45 |  #159

Threads like these are always interesting, as no real advice or guidance can be imparted.

It is a totally subjective opinion and decision to 'switch' brands. -?

The truth is, that Canon cannot maintain dominance in this increasingly competitive Camera market until it is able to launch a Phenomenally-featured camera. :rolleyes:
Other brands are clearly being far more inventive with the camera-body feature-set and capabilities that Canon are lagging behind in. :-(

Perhaps at Canon they should review the Camera-Body Number-Designations, to help in introducing newer high-tech features into the range. ?
A problem at Canon for Canon to address. It is very likely the actual know-how and technology exists to produce newer remarkable cameras. :!:

"In my opinion, a 5-DR/5-DRS image quality married with the 1DX capabilities on steroids" might help stem the 'Exodus' :idea:

Yes of course there are incredible Canon Prime L-series lenses that we all know, love and yearn after. CHECK
The Zoom L-series lenses also produce staggering results that we all anticipate to comment upon in this Forum. CHECK
The Canon Accessory Range is probably the most extensive and comprehensive collection as of today. CHECK

Indeed, Nikon are continually increasing their own lens collection and are producing equivalent and superior glass.
Nikon, continuously launch camera-bodies that seemingly outperform Canon (at least to my mind over the past 8 years or so).

I have seen Olympus Digital users create absolutely astonishing images using the 4/3" format. (Take a look for yourselves in this Forum)
The Sony range of digital cameras have really shaken the 'big-two' brands of Nikon & Canon and we know many from this Forum who have gleefully 'switched'.

Of course, who wouldn't choose a 5DR/5DRS priced at $2,000 ??- :idea:
Maybe, it is time Canon seriously reviewed the pricing model across the camera range.
---

How does this help the Thread Starter ? -->
"... go with your instinct, if the competition (Nikon) offers you more of what you need and want and at a decent price-point, how could you not switch? ..."

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,666 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 21, 2018 17:02 |  #160

EricJrSax wrote in post #18564077 (external link)
If it ain't too late,... put a cancellation on that 14-24 order and re-direct those funds towards a Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC. You'll be happy you did. And Tamron's 45mm f/1.8 is a whole lot more interesting and sharper than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4. Still,... impressive setup,... any look-sees over your shoulder back at Canonville?

Nope no look back reminiscing of Canon :)

I know it doesn't seem much, but that extra millimetre of 14 compared to 15 is something I want -

http://imaging.nikon.c​om/lineup/lens/simulat​or/ (external link)

Cheers,
Bear Dale
Some of my photos featured Bear Dale (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 21, 2018 17:21 |  #161

fotoworx wrote in post #18569261 (external link)
I know it doesn't seem much, but that extra millimetre of 14 compared to 15 is something I want -

http://imaging.nikon.c​om/lineup/lens/simulat​or/ (external link)

It actually makes a huge difference in the framing of your image. . In my opinion, a 14mm lens shouldn't be compared to a 15mm lens because they produce such a different field of view.

If someone says, "they're pretty much the same",

then I think,

"hmmmmm ....... you must not be very precise about the way you frame your images."

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Mathmans
227 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 22, 2018 06:38 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #162

If we are still talking about ''Seriously thinking about moving to Nikon'' .... I would add;
Scott Kelby switched from Nikon to Canon and he seems happier then ever. I'm also tempted.
If he's happy than it should also work for me. I'm thinking about switching.
You are already at Canon so I can't understand why would you switch.

Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2018 11:38 |  #163

Mathmans wrote in post #18569615 (external link)
If we are still talking about ''Seriously thinking about moving to Nikon'' .... I would add;
Scott Kelby switched from Nikon to Canon and he seems happier then ever. I'm also tempted.

----
This is the problem with: "Freedom of Choice"

:!: I am not dictating I am just saying, that choices beyond Canon should be banned! :!:

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 22, 2018 11:54 |  #164

Mathmans wrote in post #18569615 (external link)

The post of mine that you replied to has nothing whatsoever to do with Canon or Nikon. . I was only talking about the difference between the 14mm focal length and the 15mm focal lengths. . Threads wander where they will, and there will be many posts that do not address the OP's original topic at all.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (7 edits in all)

Feb 22, 2018 12:07 |  #165

My daddy is bigger than your daddy.

My daddy's car has more options than your daddy's car.

Your daddy's company is having financial troubles than my daddy's company.

My daddy's car comes with a real owner manual that has a special space in the glovebox.

My daddy's car has a real spare tire, but your daddy's car only has a space saver spare.

Our tires are wider than your tires.

So what...we all make choices that suit each of us, for a lot of (often silly) reasons, but in the end it does not really matter. There are more important things in life to worry about.Switching brands is expensive when you consider all the things that need to be replaced...spare batteries, memory cards, remote triggers, right angle finders, vast array of lenses, quick release brackets, flash units, ad nauseum.

In the first decade Nikon owners were bellyaching low noise high ISO, or about lack of FF digital, and suffering the costs of switching brands.
In the second decade some Canon owners are bellyaching about low noise and high ISO or about not of a good mirrorless system like Sony's and thinking about suffering the cost of switching brands. They should be reminded that Sony has declared that they will not immediately offer to Nikon the same technology as in leading Sony cameras.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

17,216 views & 141 likes for this thread
Seriously thinking about moving to nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.