Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 00:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jupiter - Mars close Conjunction: 7th Jan 2018 Brisbane

nardes
Goldmember
1,051 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 10, 2018 00:21 |  #1

It was a bit of a race against the brightening dawn skies, hoping that Jupiter and Mars would clear the tree-line before they were dimmed by the impending day light.

I glimpsed tantalising views of Jupiter and the 4 Galilean Moons through the thin foliage as the topmost branches swayed in the light breeze then finally, Jupiter and Mars heaved themselves clear of the tree-line and I got to work recording this close conjunction.

I took several frames at varying ISO speeds (ISO100 to ISO3200) and shutter speeds (1/8 sec to 30 secs) so I could later select frames that showed the field stars (Jupiter and Mars grossly over exposed) and the disc of Jupiter with the equatorial bands.

A little bit of Photoshop magic allowed me to combine the sets and produce this composite.

Whilst waiting, I also grabbed some shots of Messier 42 (M42) a bright nebula with its show piece Trapezium stars dazzling like diamonds in the middle of the frame.

Canon 5D Mk IV, 210mm dia F/11.5 telescope with a x1.6 Extender to give an efl of 3860mm.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,860 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 10, 2018 03:40 |  #2

Excellent. Hard to comprehend that Galileo built his own telescope to see those moons 400 years ago.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

cgmds73
49 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 20, 2018 18:38 |  #3

Beautiful !!

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/elojotorpe/ (external link)

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,737 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 22, 2018 05:04 |  #4

Lovely as usual, Dennis. Been a while since I've seen you post - but I haven't been around much or doing much astro myself lately.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Tyguy
476 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Feb 22, 2018 07:11 |  #5

Nice work!

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,051 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 22, 2018 15:08 |  #6

troypiggo wrote in post #18569583 (external link)
Lovely as usual, Dennis. Been a while since I've seen you post - but I haven't been around much or doing much astro myself lately.

Hi Troy

Great to hear from you and trust you are well.:-)

Time, weather and other commitments have kept me away from any serious astronomy for a while, but hopefully with Jupiter being well placed for us folks down under, I’ll be back!:-)

Cheers

Dennis

sponsored links

802 views & 17 likes for this thread
Jupiter - Mars close Conjunction: 7th Jan 2018 Brisbane
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.