Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Feb 2018 (Friday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Uploads

Gmacs
Hatchling
5 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 23, 2018 09:30 |  #1

Hi Guys,

Im brand new to photography. I just bought a 1300D 18-55 kit, been playing about with it for a couple of weeks and these are the results. I have other pictures id like to share from the same day so please request :)

I think this forum is an excellent learning tool, please critique!:love:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Gart
426 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 23, 2018 10:44 |  #2

First - Welcome to the Forum. You are going to find it a great place to learn from. There are many people who are willing to help and there are others that can be rather rude. Pick your battles carefully.

When posting in this group, please be specific on what you want critiqued? For example - posing, lighting, composition, etc. If you only ask for critique, you will get answers regarding many things and this is hard to learn from. Target one or two items and learn from that.

What do I see:
1. Pictures are dark. The histogram is all bunched to the left 2/3rd's of useable range.
2. "If" I was shooting these, I would have opted for portrait view. The top photo, your model is small in relation to the scene - She is the subject right or is it the city and bridge or something else?. The bridge appears to be higher on the right than the left. Straight horizons on a wide shot like this is distracting to some. Try not to clip off ends of limbs (toes in top photo, fingers in second.).
3. The jacket and bag in the lower photo should not be in the shot. Pay attention to overall composition of the scene. Don't put your model/subject in a position where there are things growing out of their body.

Having said that - If you want the scene to depict your model with the city, lose the background bridge. Or vice-versa if you want the bridge. Get closer and use more of the scene to get your model into it. Normally this means you get closer and lose some of the wide background.

That is all from me.

Good luck with your journey - it never ends.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 23, 2018 10:51 |  #3

Welcome to the forum, Gee Macs!
by the way, what is your name?

Gart wrote in post #18570441 (external link)
Having said that - If you want the scene to depict your model with the city, lose the background bridge. Or vice-versa if you want the bridge. Get closer and use more of the scene to get your model into it.

Hmmmmmmm.

Isn't the whole idea behind image #1 was to have the model's body shape replicate the shape of the bridge support in the background? . The image is about repeating shapes. . If the OP were to do as you suggest - either remove the model or remove the bridge - then how would he present the very theme of the image - repeating shapes? . I guess I just don't understand the rationale behind those suggestions. . Or perhaps you did not see that the whole point of the image was to have the repeating shapes.

What do I see:
1. Pictures are dark. The histogram is all bunched to the left 2/3rd's of useable range.

I agree. If the entire photo were about 2/3 of a stop brighter, it would be more pleasing. I don't see any blown highlights, so there wouldn't appear to be any reason not to shoot this much brighter.

The bridge appears to be higher on the right than the left. Straight horizons on a wide shot like this is distracting to some.

I agree with this, too. The bridge appears to be slanted downhill. Perhaps it really is out-of-level in real life? But even if the slanted bridge/roadway is crooked in real life, it still creates a distraction in the photo because it "just doesn't look right" to have a major manmade horizontal element be out-of-level.

She is the subject right or is it the city and bridge or something else?.

A good image can have more than one subject. You don't have to determine "What is my subject?" all of the time, because it is fine to have multiple subjects. In an image like the first one, your subject would actually be the repeating shapes .... and hence your 'subject' involves two objects, the girl and the bridge.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,701 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by OhLook.

Feb 23, 2018 11:17 |  #4

For someone "brand new to photography," these images show a good feeling for composition. That doesn't come with a camera purchase. You must have brought it with you. Compositions are harder to achieve when a scene has many elements, as these do. An art background, perhaps?

On Image #1, I have a comment to add to Gart's. Be careful about juxtaposing dark and light areas when you want a feature to stand out. The immediate background for most of the model's dark sweatshirt is the dark vegetation in front of the bridge. Consequently, her upper body (maroon) gets lost in the vegetation (brown). The brightest areas on the model are hands, part of face, and legs/pants. The viewer's gaze is left to switch up and down, to and from those three areas. A change of wardrobe would have made an improvement.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

bob_r
Goldmember
2,396 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 23, 2018 13:42 |  #5

I agree with Gart about shooting this in portrait rather than landscape orientation. I hope you don't mind, but I did a rather quick edit to give you an idea of the differences. IMHO, the portrait orientation takes away some of the distracting elements on the sides of the image that really don't contribute to it's effectiveness and allow the viewer to give more attention to the subjects. I think others have commented on most of the other concerns. You have a good eye for photography and learning about it is an enjoyable never ending journey. Welcome to the forum.
If you want me to remove my edit, please let me know.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Gmacs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 23, 2018 21:51 as a reply to  @ Gart's post |  #6

Thanks Gart,

I was hoping for general feedback which you have provided. I appreciate uploading pictures and asking, "whats wrong with this?" is pretty open ended.

On your point about light:

"1. Pictures are dark. The histogram is all bunched to the left 2/3rd's of useable range."

-When shooting in these conditions if i was to take 1 shot and not stitch together multiple exposures would you aim to under/over expose and fix in post or reduce shutter speed (i think both of these were shot at min aperture) to let in more light?

Is there a disadvantage to changing in post over in-camera or vice versa?

Thank you for your time and input.

Gmacs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 23, 2018 22:20 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #7

Thank you OhLook,

No real art background. I know what i like/don't like and joined the forum to gain a more qualitative perspective of my own and others photography.

For the first picture i was trying to reflect not only the shapes but also the colours of the background in the subject. I think this may not have been obvious enough or (most likely) isnt that effective/appealing.

Thanks for your response :)

Gmacs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 23, 2018 22:25 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #8

Thank you Tom,

Yes the theme of the first picture is repeating shapes, however i think this has been lost in or confused by in the large background.

I will make sure to straighten up those lines in the future.

Gmacs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 23, 2018 22:28 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #9

Thanks for the edit Bob. I think it definitely declutters the scene.

rosh4u
136 posts
Joined Jun 2017

Feb 23, 2018 23:15 |  #10

Welcome to the forum!
Your knowledge will definitely enhance in this forum. Good beginning!
I just found that the picture is dark which you need to improve as part of the beginner. Understanding this small thing will surely help you get better pictures.

Roshni Patel Co-founder of Auto Stamper (external link)

sponsored links

565 views & 11 likes for this thread
First Uploads
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.