Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Feb 2018 (Friday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Order $5,500 Canon camera from Amazon, get rocks. Return and the next package you get... bricks.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 24, 2018 08:02 |  #16

Total BS. He wants youtube followers for his videos? He'll eventually lose more than he gains because he's a lying piece of s--t.

I hope Bezos hunts him down and sues his ass.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,262 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Feb 24, 2018 10:26 |  #17

Bassat wrote in post #18570863 (external link)
I don't buy it; not for a second. I'm not sure what this guy is up to, but I'm as sure as I can be the he is full of BS.

Thief put the plastic back on?

Well, Amazon does not always serve as the retailer, but passes on sales to agents.

For example a 1DXII deal including Amazon Prime shipping is clearly identified as "Sold by Wholesale Photo"
Another 1DXII with Amazon Prime is clearly identified as "Sold by Adorama Camera".
A third 1DXII with Amazon Prime is clearly identified as "Sold by eDigitalUSA"

Secondly, cameras do not come from Canon in shrink wrap, that is perhaps something applied by some retailers in dealing with goods purchased and returned for refund.
So the guy in the video could have applied the shrink wrap himself, and the video is totally a fraud initiated in the interests of having 'good fun' (or whatever other motivation)
As for cutting open the Amazon package tape to get at the shrink-wrapped Canon box, we do not see proof that the LOWER Amazon seal tape is still intact, but he have to assume it is.

If the video is intentionally defaming, I hope the perpetrator discovers what 'libel' means.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,069 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by Perfectly Frank with reason 'Edit'.

Feb 24, 2018 13:13 |  #18

Choderboy wrote in post #18571008 (external link)
What seems unbelievable to me is spending 5 minutes rambling on leading up to opening the box.
If I had received a box of rocks or a brick for the first delivery, I'd be opening the 2nd box a lot faster.
I think almost anyone would. Way too theatrical.

Some attempted viral experiment, disgruntled Amazon customer, whatever. Not buying it.

Well said, my opinion also.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

itshotinhereimonfire
139 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Feb 26, 2018 07:36 |  #19

Didn't somebody do this exact thing years ago with the 5D Mark III?

Seems like a good way to get free cameras.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,392 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 26, 2018 11:04 |  #20

Amazon does have many items sold not by Amazon, but by completely different companies.
https://www.forbes.com …-profit-big/#769356523ea6 (external link)
They also have misleading way of showing product. It will show by Sony, for example, but seller is not Sony.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 26, 2018 11:52 |  #21

I like the way the Amazon statement says 'Customers' implying more than one customer has complained. Do we have any construction experts on the forum? Do those bricks look like USA bricks, or foreign (ie Japanese) ones. Must admit I think it's total BS, but I am wondering if someone sent amazon a pile of dodgy boxes full of bricks, rocks, sand, soil or otherwise, hence the dirty boxes.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 26, 2018 12:10 |  #22

He's been overcharged lol. https://www.amazon.com …lp?ie=UTF8&cond​ition=used (external link)
The $850.00 one sounds a scam too. Actually, on the Amazon product page, there's loads of questions asked about rocks, and nothing about not being sold by Amazon, just that you can't buy it from them. Now all I need is a friend in the states to buy it for me and I'll sort out payment asap ;-)a

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

drdiesel1
Goldmember
3,874 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 11 months ago by drdiesel1. (6 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2018 12:26 |  #23

I had this happen @ Fry's Electronics. I built a PC and spent 500 bucks
on the latest video card available. I opened the box and it had an old
IBM video card in it. I took it back to the store and the guy called me a
thief.

I got a little pissed off and the managers all came running over to
see what was going on. They sent the sales guy away and we tried to
resolve the issue. I was told to go get another one off the shelf.

I did and requested to open the box in the store with a manager present.
Well guess what......... Same thing in this box. They were floored. I went
back and got the last one on the shelf and opened it in the store too.
It was a good one, finally. They were just amazed and apologized up and
down and all over the place. They actually believed I was scamming them.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge this as a scam from the buyer. People get
crap pay at Amazon and work long hours. IMO, the thief is in the warehouse.
This is were they can re-wrap boxes very easily without being easily detected.

I have purchased at least 6 brand name cameras from Amazon.
The last two were my 5DMKIII and my D810. I had no problems.
None of my camera boxes were sealed with cellophane like his were.

The PC video card was sealed up like his box was and the one that
was good was not. Must be the same guy... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

904canon
136 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 26, 2018 15:34 |  #24

For entertainment purposes only.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 27, 2018 03:54 |  #25

Many years ago we were fulfilling an order for laptops with a large corporation, when we started having the contents of our double-boxed shipments wind up being substituted with bricks. We weren't using tamper-evident tape at that time (though quickly addressed that issue). Eventually, the shipping company determined that the driver picking up our packages was stealing the laptops and making the switch between pick-up and the shipper's warehouse, and stashed the laptops at another scheduled pick-up location.

That doesn't mean this guy isn't stealing the cameras himself. I won't make any guesses, but I wouldn't be surprised if he switch out the cameras himself.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Bcaps
THREAD ­ STARTER
I was a little buzzed when I took this
803 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 28, 2018 22:29 |  #26

He made a follow-up video (external link) (language, NSFW) and said that Amazon has determined that a 3rd party seller was responsible and they are pursuing legal action against the seller. They gave the guy a $1,000 Amazon gift card for his troubles.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 01, 2018 06:57 |  #27

Amazing. Must apologize for thinking it was a scam. Well it was, but not by the buyer. Sorry.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 01, 2018 08:42 |  #28

jptsr1 wrote in post #18571001 (external link)
I call BS.

Ab-so-freaking-lutley.

I'm right there with you, jp.

This is a complete mock up. YouTube click bait. Gimme a break.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,156 views & 14 likes for this thread
Order $5,500 Canon camera from Amazon, get rocks. Return and the next package you get... bricks.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.