Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone made the switch to a mirrorless?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,346 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (15 edits in all)

Feb 25, 2018 11:04 |  #46

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18571665 (external link)
120Hz mode on your TV is not the same thing as in an EVF. An original OM-D is also a whole different animal to any camera released in the past couple of years. Even going from my X-E2 to the X-Pro2 there was an obvious and clear difference. With my X-Pro2 however, I can't detect any difference in lag between the EVF or the OVF, both work great for sports (in fact, I prefer to use the EVF for it because I can see exactly where the focus is and what the meter is doing to the exposure).

Am well aware that 120Hz TV is not the same as 120Hz EVF, but I merely used the parallel to represent my own eye's inability to detect 60Hz vs. 120Hz, not to represent myself as someone with super keen sensitivity to the issue. I evaluated the EVF on Olympus within the past few years (I know, a 'lifetime' in terms of camera techology changes), to get a feel for EVF; more bothersome for me than viewfinder lag was the 'shimmer' I could see clearly in the store lighting.

The A9 is certainly a spectacular camera, one I wish I could afford to buy, to get me in a compact lighter kit more akin to the Olympus OM system I have had for 40 years, that was a joy to travel with. But even DPReview mentions the characteristic of lag in the A9, albeit tremendously reduced from prior generations of EVF

"The Sony Alpha 9 is the company's first camera aimed at professional wedding, action and sports photographers. It's a 24MP, full-frame mirrorless camera that can shoot at 20 frames per second with full autofocus. And, just as importantly, with very low viewfinder lag and absolutely no blackout during continuous shooting."

The YouTube videos show how well the AF tracking works, following a pole vaulter running at top speed toward camera position and not ever missing focus.

I did just watch Tony Northrup's own evallation of the A9 (pre-launch) and he did mention that with 4 runners on a track the camera would move AF point from one runner to another, in an undesired manner...hopefully Sony modified the behavior before the A9 was released.

A June 2017 review of the A9 is on the web: https://biglensfastshu​tter.com …by-a-sports-photographer/ (external link)

"EVF
Evil view finder was underwhelming. Apparently this EVF does 120fps, but there is a noticeable lag when moving the camera vigorously. In sports where vigorous camera movement is a must, this is a deal breaker. "

Olympus themselves talk about the OM-D EM1-II:

"Olympus's press release contains the following statement:

"With high-speed operation that includes a maximum frame rate of 120 fps and a minimum six-millisecond display time lag during shooting, users will never lose track of fast-moving subjects."

With something moving 90mph, 6 ms equates to being 'behind' the object's actual position by 9.5". While that certainly will not affect most folks, it can be problematic for others in the right set of circumstances. Track a jet travelling a slow (for a jet) 300 mph, and .006 sec. means you are aiming behind the jet's actual position by 32". There are some compensatory features that help in that circumstance (continuous shooting so shutter lag not an issue, no viewfinder blackout) but focus speed drops from 20 fps to 10 fps during continuous focus tracking.

Fuji themselves say this:

"Existing cameras display the image after the whole frame has been read from the processor, but on the X-T1, the image starts to display before the processor has completed developing the whole image, which reduces lag time and means the sensor and display are synchronized. Display lag time has also been reduced by increasing the frame rate compared to the X-E2.

The improvements mean the X-T1's EVF has a world's shortest delay of just 0.005 second. You may perceive almost no delay on the view finder compared to the real image."

NOT bashing, merely understanding where the limitations of the product lies, so you can try to work around some of them (when I finally can afford to buy one).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,456 posts
Gallery: 275 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 25, 2018 11:28 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #47

When I’m shooting sports or other fast moving subjects I pan the camera at the pace of the subject and let the camera do its thing. A tiny bit of lag won’t effect that.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 25, 2018 12:48 |  #48

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18571926 (external link)
When I’m shooting sports or other fast moving subjects I pan the camera at the pace of the subject and let the camera do its thing. A tiny bit of lag won’t effect that.

That doesn't sound at all satisfactory to me.

We are still at the point where mirrorless isn't quite there for action shooting imho. But I'm sure that it is not going to take very long for it to make up the ground. It's very clear which way the wind is blowing.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,356 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2018 12:49 |  #49

Wilt wrote in post #18569985 (external link)
Size and weight are not the real benefits of changing, after all. You better give more thought to the issue, and find if the OTHER benefits to mirrorless are indeed what you want (vs. whatever trade-offs there are for you)

I know I'm dragging this thread back over a week, but now having used the Sony for a while I think I have a better handle on how to explain why people will say that MILCs offer smaller and lighter.

Wilt is correct in one aspect, that all in all the lenses in both systems are about the same size. The big, fast zooms are all big and heavy. Look at FE 24-70/2.8 vs. Canon 24-70/2.8, or look at the 70-200/2.8's or the 100-400's. But - There are also some small and light lenses available in both systems; Lenses like Sony's 28/2 and 55/1.8, or Canon's 35/2 or 40/2.8.

The thing is, if you put small primes on a Canon FF dSLR, you have a small lens on a huge camera. It's still big.

But if you put a small lens on a Sony A7rIII, you have small lens on a small camera.

So while the Sony with a huge 100-400 or 24-70 isn't small by any view, that isn't really what people are talking about when they say the Sony can be a small FF setup.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Wilt
40,346 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 25, 2018 12:58 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #50

A good understanding, Jeff.

To harken back to 'the old days',

• with the Olympus OM system, both the body AND lenses were smaller and lighter.
  • with other vendors (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta) there was a compact and light body, but the lenses were the same size and weight as fit on the non-compact traditional sized bodies.
...and with the Olympus Pen the smaller format allowed both body and lenses to be even smaller and lighter than the OM

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,356 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2018 13:05 |  #51

Wilt wrote in post #18571991 (external link)
A good understanding, Jeff.

To harken back to 'the old days',

• with the Olympus OM system, both the body AND lenses were smaller and lighter.
  • with other vendors (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta) there was a compact and light body, but the lenses were the same size and weight as fit on the non-compact traditional sized bodies.
...and with the Olympus Pen the smaller format allowed both body and lenses to be even smaller and lighter than the OM

You'd think the short register on the Sony would allow for very small and light wide angle lenses, but it doesn't because the sensor doesn't work well with light coming at a steep angle. So Leica style primes are not good on Sony bodies.

So a lot of Sony wide angles wind up being the same gigantic retrofocus designs used on dSLRs, like the 35/1.4.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Wilt
40,346 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 25, 2018 13:10 |  #52

JeffreyG wrote in post #18571998 (external link)
You'd think the short register on the Sony would allow for very small and light wide angle lenses, but it doesn't because the sensor doesn't work well with light coming at a steep angle. So Leica style primes are not good on Sony bodies.

So a lot of Sony wide angles wind up being the same gigantic retrofocus designs used on dSLRs, like the 35/1.4.

Interesting observation. But I wonder how much of the 'not shorter' barrel is due to reliance upon Schneider designs with more traditional parameters. What about native Sony lenses, not made by Schneider? After all, the Canon EF-S lenses were designed to emit light more perpendicular to the sensor, with shorter back dimensions (that had to be prevented from mounting on FF bodies via the EF-S mount). One would think the same degree of perpendicular light rays could be designed into lenses meant for the A mount.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2018 14:24 |  #53

Wilt wrote in post #18571919 (external link)
Am well aware that 120Hz TV is not the same as 120Hz EVF, but I merely used the parallel to represent my own eye's inability to detect 60Hz vs. 120Hz, not to represent myself as someone with super keen sensitivity to the issue. I evaluated the EVF on Olympus within the past few years (I know, a 'lifetime' in terms of camera techology changes), to get a feel for EVF; more bothersome for me than viewfinder lag was the 'shimmer' I could see clearly in the store lighting.

The A9 is certainly a spectacular camera, one I wish I could afford to buy, to get me in a compact lighter kit more akin to the Olympus OM system I have had for 40 years, that was a joy to travel with. But even DPReview mentions the characteristic of lag in the A9, albeit tremendously reduced from prior generations of EVF

"The Sony Alpha 9 is the company's first camera aimed at professional wedding, action and sports photographers. It's a 24MP, full-frame mirrorless camera that can shoot at 20 frames per second with full autofocus. And, just as importantly, with very low viewfinder lag and absolutely no blackout during continuous shooting."

The YouTube videos show how well the AF tracking works, following a pole vaulter running at top speed toward camera position and not ever missing focus.

I did just watch Tony Northrup's own evallation of the A9 (pre-launch) and he did mention that with 4 runners on a track the camera would move AF point from one runner to another, in an undesired manner...hopefully Sony modified the behavior before the A9 was released.

A June 2017 review of the A9 is on the web: https://biglensfastshu​tter.com …by-a-sports-photographer/ (external link)

"EVF
Evil view finder was underwhelming. Apparently this EVF does 120fps, but there is a noticeable lag when moving the camera vigorously. In sports where vigorous camera movement is a must, this is a deal breaker. "

Olympus themselves talk about the OM-D EM1-II:

"Olympus's press release contains the following statement:

"With high-speed operation that includes a maximum frame rate of 120 fps and a minimum six-millisecond display time lag during shooting, users will never lose track of fast-moving subjects."

With something moving 90mph, 6 ms equates to being 'behind' the object's actual position by 9.5". While that certainly will not affect most folks, it can be problematic for others in the right set of circumstances. Track a jet travelling a slow (for a jet) 300 mph, and .006 sec. means you are aiming behind the jet's actual position by 32". There are some compensatory features that help in that circumstance (continuous shooting so shutter lag not an issue, no viewfinder blackout) but focus speed drops from 20 fps to 10 fps during continuous focus tracking.

Fuji themselves say this:

"Existing cameras display the image after the whole frame has been read from the processor, but on the X-T1, the image starts to display before the processor has completed developing the whole image, which reduces lag time and means the sensor and display are synchronized. Display lag time has also been reduced by increasing the frame rate compared to the X-E2.

The improvements mean the X-T1's EVF has a world's shortest delay of just 0.005 second. You may perceive almost no delay on the view finder compared to the real image."

NOT bashing, merely understanding where the limitations of the product lies, so you can try to work around some of them (when I finally can afford to buy one).

Rather than reading, it’s much better to rent and try for yourself. Everyone out there had an opinion...they are free and many use their opinions to drive traffic. Best to check things out for yourself.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2018 14:26 |  #54

DaviSto wrote in post #18571981 (external link)
That doesn't sound at all satisfactory to me.

We are still at the point where mirrorless isn't quite there for action shooting imho. But I'm sure that it is not going to take very long for it to make up the ground. It's very clear which way the wind is blowing.

Have you tried out the A9 for yourself. I’ve seen enough differing reviews to tell me not to trust anyone’s reviews but to only trust what’s in your hands.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2018 14:29 |  #55

JeffreyG wrote in post #18571998 (external link)

There are many Leica lenses that work beautifully on the Sony cameras using the TAP adapter to achieve AF.

Your statement is not true.

Wilt
40,346 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 25, 2018 14:35 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #56

You apparently skip over when I comment that my budget does not permit me to buy one. I won't rent a Canon 1DXII for the same reason.
Why create dissatisfaction and frustration in myself, if there is no resolution but the pain of departing from 3X more money than I can afford?!

deronsizemore
THREAD ­ STARTER
450 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2018 14:55 |  #57

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18571182 (external link)
The 5D2 doesn't have an EVF. It has an OVF, thus why you may not appreciate what it is and its advantages or disadvantages.

https://www.adorama.co​m/alc/what-is-an-evf (external link)

Ah. That makes sense. Now I feel dumb. ;)

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18571186 (external link)
When you hold your eye up to the viewfinder there is a screen (a high-resolution 2.36million dot OLED display).

More here on Fuji site (external link)

Ted sums it up well here in his video too

Thanks, I'll give that a watch when I have time.

MalVeauX wrote in post #18571270 (external link)
That particular photo was natural light actually. I lifted shadows and mean a little bit, with some dodge/burn.

It's not hard at all to use manual lenses on systems that are designed to support manual focus. I'm frankly better with manual lenses because I can freely compose and not worry about an autofocus point being on the subject, etc, when shooting shallow DOF. It's not for everyone, but it's very easy on Fuji to shoot manual. It allowed me to get a lot of very fast (F1.2, F1.4) lesnes that normally would have cost a ton, just to have AF, which I don't need for what I shoot. I don't own any AF lenses for Fuji. But if you get AF lenses by Fuji, they're very good, sharp, accurate and fast to focus. Very nice lenses Fuji makes!

Here's a similar shot, but with fill light using a R2 Zoom TTL LiON speedlite in a 28" beauty dish with a sock diffuser (employed camera EV -0.67, TTL -1/3rd EV, HSS to sync):

Thanks. Looks like there's a lot of nice options for manual focus lenses. I'll probably get one nice auto focus Fuji lens to keep on the camera and then buy a manual one to play around with since they are so cheap. I can always return it to Amazon if I don't like it. :)

Thanks for the setup shot and equipment used. I need to get me some decent wireless transmitters to play around with lighting setups like this.

rantercsr wrote in post #18571361 (external link)
the advantages for me..

what you see is what you get.. your adjustments to exposure are seen in real time..
so if something is happening right now and you bring the camera up to take a photo ,,, you will immeditatly see that you are not exposed properly .. many times with an ovf i' v taken a photo or two then i realize i'm way over or under exposed ..

histogram, level , focus peaking , zebras ..

(i know some will say you could get that years ago in a 5d mkii with magic lantern .. but you do so at your own risk .. and so its not supported by canon.. i had it on the 5d3 and t4i .. and it will lock up your camera from time to time or act glitch)

also with portraits and when using lighting .. sometimes for creative porpuses you may want your background several stops underexposed .. you can change it so that its not WYSIWYG so that you can focus or compose properly etc.

I've been with some sort of mirrorless for a while now .. wether its sony.fuji, or Panasonic..
yes batteries drain faster.. because of the displays..
shoot a dslr only using the rear display and they'll burn thru batteries pretty quickly as well..
I've done timelapses with sonys and got over 1500 shots .. evf and rear screen turned off ..
so yes those displays do need powere..
luckily with many mirrorless cameras you have the option of external powering ..

when i had my sony a7sii and was trying to get into video .. i always had a 20,000 pwer bank attached .. it ran all day..either attached to a rig.. or when run and gun power bank was in my back pocket..
it really isn't an issue for me .
just like dslr size and/or weight really isn't an issue for some .. .

you can look at it many ways , one being -- "WOW!! you get 350 shots out of that tiny battery!!??!! ,, i can easily carry 2 or 3 in my pocket and shoot all day long!!

Yeah I was confused I guess initally on what an EVF was. But sounds like it's a pretty cool feature. All the posts here are definitely making me want to make the switch. Just need to get my current equipment sold to afford it. lol.

http://www.famsnap.com (external link)
Fuji X-T1 | Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 | Fuji 35 f/1.4
500px (external link) | Flickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 25, 2018 15:12 |  #58

deronsizemore wrote in post #18572066 (external link)
All the posts here are definitely making me want to make the switch. Just need to get my current equipment sold to afford it. lol.

Don't make a switch based on comments here ... whatever you do. Get some hands-on time with a couple of good mirrorless set-ups and see how they work for you.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2018 15:32 |  #59

Wilt wrote in post #18572051 (external link)
You apparently skip over when I comment that my budget does not permit me to buy one. I won't rent a Canon 1DXII for the same reason.
Why create dissatisfaction and frustration in myself, if there is no resolution but the pain of departing from 3X more money than I can afford?!

Why then get so deep into reviews of a camera you won’t ever own? What i’m saying is making judgement about a camera from so many conflicting reviews is a waste of time and energy. I’ve learned that long ago when reviewers would say something contaversial just to drive people to their sites...making their reviews garbage. This is now occurring everywhere, basically internet at its worst.

I am lucky in that I have a very good relationship with a camera store that allows me to borrow their rental gear if it’s not signed out. Pays to be devoted to the mom & pop shop rather than the big internet stores.

Wilt
40,346 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Feb 25, 2018 15:37 |  #60

Hogloff wrote in post #18572099 (external link)
Why then get so deep into reviews of a camera you won’t ever own? What i’m saying is making judgement about a camera from so many conflicting reviews is a waste of time and energy. I’ve learned that long ago when reviewers would say something contaversial just to drive people to their sites...making their reviews garbage. This is now occurring everywhere, basically internet at its worst.

I am lucky in that I have a very good relationship with a camera store that allows me to borrow their rental gear if it’s not signed out. Pays to be devoted to the mom & pop shop rather than the big internet stores.

So is it wrong to understand what is on the market, so one might be able to stratify camera positioning beyond the surface level detail?
I report OBjective information, I am not superimposing my SUBjective judgement on whether something is bad or good, or has counterweighing features that make me overlook what I perceive as a shortcoming. Note that I quantifed manufacturer-reported lag numbers, and turned those specs into real life examples, and then others can judge whether or not those examples apply to THEM! Impartial consulting, what Popular Photography did in the old days of objective reporting of tests. Some say 'no lag', some say 'I can't stand the lag', I report objective numbers quoting sources, and let people understand "what that means to me". The truth is somewhere in between, or 'it depends upon...'.
Then folks can ascertain for themselves, "This bathwater smells like soup (and drink it)" or "This bathwater smells like soap and get themselves what they were looking to gain".

sponsored links

6,401 views & 43 likes for this thread
Anyone made the switch to a mirrorless?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.