Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 21:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some of my photos have odd patterns/distortions in Lightroom

RandallB
296 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited 4 months ago by RandallB. (2 edits in all)

Feb 15, 2018 21:12 |  #1

While editing some photos today from yesterdays shoot I found- after editing- a few of the photos had strange patterns over parts of them. It happened in the jpg exports as well. At first I was thought it was a sensor issue but the photos look fine on the camera screen. I shut down LR and restarted the comp. Went back to Lr to check the photos. By clicking between library and develop modules I was able to get the photos to export a jpg without the issues. One of the photos still shows the patterns in the library module and navigator preview window but it is fine in the develop module.

Lightroom CC. I havent updated to the new version yet (classic) as I have been in the middle of too many projects the past few months. Windows 7. 16 gigs ram.

Anyone ever have this happen? Theories, suggestions... ? Pics attached.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 17, 2018 04:34 |  #2

The files are corrupt. Exactly how they have been corrupted isn't clear as there are several possibilities...
1. The card was faulty and they were corrupted while being written to the card. - This is unlikely if they all looked fine on the back of the camera but not impossible. What you see on the camera is the JPG preview that is embedded in the RAW data but it is possible for the RAW to be corrupted while the preview appears to be OK.
2. They were corrupted during transfer (faulty cable).
3. There is a hardware problem with your HD or some other component of the computer that has caused corruption.

The fact that you were able to get some of the images to correct by turning the machine on and off again indicates that the files may not actually be corrupted but are being corrupted when read into memory or when the LR previews are created and saved to disk. That would indicate that option three is the culprit.... but it could be the disk or memory or some other component that is causing the actual corruption.

It is very unlikely that LR is the actual culprit because much of the file handling in LR is actually done by the OS. If it was, say, a corrupted LR install then the problem should occur when you open/edit other images as well.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,529 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 17, 2018 10:13 |  #3

Dan hit the nail on the head. You may want to try downloading the images from the card again and see if that corrects the problem. If not, try a different card reader or try downloading directly from the camera to see if that helps.

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 17, 2018 11:54 |  #4

I believe I have narrowed it down to the previews being corrupted. May indicate a HD issue. I will be making another BU of the drive this weekend and will reupload the images on a new drive to see if it solves them problem. It was strange that these patterns didnt occur until after I was done editing.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 26, 2018 09:59 |  #5

And the winner is... A bad stick of RAM!

BOWIE RIP!

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 10, 2018 12:09 |  #6

New cmos battery and two new Ram sticks and we are running better than ever! I think the RAM was dying a slow death. I would occassionaly over the past few months have odd pc behavior and some glitchiness that I couldn't replicate. So nice when the studio pc is happy!

BOWIE RIP!

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 10, 2018 20:27 |  #7

Glad to hear it got sorted. I was leaning more towards ram being the cause because of the intermittent/changeabl​e nature of the issue.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 10, 2018 21:09 |  #8

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18582318 (external link)
Glad to hear it got sorted. I was leaning more towards ram being the cause because of the intermittent/changeabl​e nature of the issue.

Exactly- although the initial mystery at least got me off my butt to make a third copy of my current work drive. Complacency sucks! ;)

BOWIE RIP!

Firehouse
453 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2018 23:05 |  #9

I am having this same issue. Is there a way to test the RAM to see if that is the issue? My local Apple repair shop did not know how to fix it. Thanks.

--Rich--
Instagram: whitelensphotos

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 12, 2018 10:59 |  #10

Firehouse wrote in post #18605043 (external link)
I am having this same issue. Is there a way to test the RAM to see if that is the issue? My local Apple repair shop did not know how to fix it. Thanks.

I ran memtest. I let it run through all eight levels but it was apparent after two minutes that the RAM was toast. I am on a PC.

BOWIE RIP!

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 12, 2018 18:21 |  #11

I reimported the photos once I replaced the RAM and all was well. Dont format that card just yet!

BOWIE RIP!

sponsored links

1,940 views & 7 likes for this thread
Some of my photos have odd patterns/distortions in Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.