Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cactus RQ250 Wireless Monolight announced

SamFrench
840 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 25, 2018 23:23 |  #1

https://www.cactus-image.com …%20-%20Cactus%20RQ250.pdf (external link)

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 25, 2018 23:36 |  #2

Looks interesting, but unless it's really inexpensive I don't see what it offers over the Godox / Flashpoint AD200, besides 50 extra Ws. I wish they would have added more pictures. While it does look palm sized in length, based on the picture it looks about twice as wide as a normal speedlight. That personally would make it harder to store for me, as I can put my AD200 anywhere I normally put a speedlight. I could not do that with the cactus light if in fact it is much wider. Being wider would also prevent use of MagMod modifiers and typical flash brackets. The Godox also has the bare bulb and flash head option. While you have to switch the specific heads, the removable reflector on the cactus still looks much larger than the heads of the godox, which again would run into storage issues when removed.

I'd also like to see their claim on not needing modifiers put to the test. That seems pretty far fetched for such a small light source. All in all, interesting light. But I don't think it's something that will take people away from the AD200

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

SamFrench
THREAD ­ STARTER
840 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 26, 2018 08:00 |  #3

In a few days, the RQ250 will world premiere at CP+ Camera & Photo Imaging Show 2018 in Yokohama Japan on March 1-4.

SamFrench
THREAD ­ STARTER
840 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 26, 2018 12:54 |  #4

https://www.lightingru​mours.com/cactus-rq250-9644 (external link)

Additional photos / info at above link

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 26, 2018 13:43 |  #5

SamFrench wrote in post #18572741 (external link)
https://www.lightingru​mours.com/cactus-rq250-9644 (external link)

Additional photos / info at above link

The measurements are helpful. The Cactus vs. The Godox AD200 measurements are L: Cactus 194mm vs. Godox 168mm (without flash head). Approx. 206mm with flash head. W: Cactus 80mm vs. Godox 75mm. H: Cactus 80mm vs. Godox 50mm.

Like I said before, the height is the biggest one to me. The other measurements are very similar. But the Cactus being over 1 inch taller would make it hard to fit in my speedlight specific pouches on my bags.

This isn't taking into consideration the fact that I have all Godox lights so I have connectivity across the whole system.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

ClassA42
38 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by ClassA42. (4 edits in all)

Feb 28, 2018 08:52 |  #6

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18572344 (external link)
Looks interesting, but unless it's really inexpensive I don't see what it offers over the Godox / Flashpoint AD200, besides 50 extra Ws.

If you were a Pentax user, like I am, you'd be probably very excited as the RQ250 will support HSS and even automatic metering, which none of the Godox strobes do, as Godox doesn't support Pentax.

However, independently of brand support, I think that the RQ250 approach to supporting bare-bulb and regular operation is smarter. With the AD200 you always have to take care of one part (either the bare-bulb or the Fresnel part). Where do you store it safely when not in use?

If you don't use the reflector (+ diffusion disc) on the RQ250, it seems like you can just put it somewhere as I hope it won't be fragile in any way. The same applies to the Fresnel part of the AD 200, but how do you safely store the bare-bulb part when you don't want to use it? With the RQ250, the reflector (+diffusion disc) part doubles as a bare-bulb protector part. I think this is quite a clever design with less parts to worry about.

I personally also prefer the round light shape that the RQ250 should emit with the diffusion disc attached, compared to the pattern the Fresnel lens of the AD200 creates. I expect the RQ250 to be useful in throwing a basic background pattern at a portrait background cloth. The Fresnel lens of the AD200 would make more sense if the AD200 were an on-camera light, which it isn't.

The RQ250 also features a modelling light even when used in the bare-bulb mode. I understand the AD200 only supports a modelling light with the Fresnel part. The built-in fan should support higher performance, compared to the AD200 which should get into an overheating situation more quickly. Actual performance remains to be seen, but one would hope that the fan can have a positive impact on being able to utilise a longer sequence of full power shots.

The RQ250 moreover has an AF-assist light. Not sure how useful it will be but it could be a plus over the AD200.

Finally, I'm already using a V6II and find the ergonomics and richness of features of this trigger to be far superior to all but one Godox trigger. Only the Godox XPro is a decent trigger in my view. The rest of the Godox trigger models are pretty poor, some of them inadequate, I'd say (but this only concerns the really old ones which are pretty much outdated by now).

The only negatives I currently see with the RQ250 is a missing integrated umbrella holder. I realise that there are swivels that have an integrated holder, but I wonder how much off-centre an umbrella rod will be when mounted in this manner. An ability to directly mount S-mount modifiers would also have been great. Not sure how I feel about the need for an adapter yet. I'm looking forward to learning more about the native accessories and how they mount. If it is a clever system, perhaps this will justify not featuring an S-mount.

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18572344 (external link)
I wish they would have added more pictures.

I found more pictures at the Lighting Rumours article about the RQ250 (external link).

Overall, I find this to be already a very attractive monolight and I'm keen to learn more about it. Naturally, as a Pentax shooter this is really exciting as Godox doesn't support Pentax, but even independently of that I feel that the RQ250 has a lot going for it. Probably not for people who are already heavily invested in Godox and are happy with the Godox triggers.

sponsored links

1,247 views & 1 like for this thread
Cactus RQ250 Wireless Monolight announced
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.