Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 27 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You don't need a telescope

Davenn
946 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by Davenn.

Nov 26, 2017 01:04 |  #2161

Pagman wrote in post #18504025 (external link)
Hi dave, I just have the one lens - my 300mm that has to do my different subjects - Bif, Planes and DSO. ...............

P.

you should have kept the 55-300mm ;-)a
would have given you much more versatility

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links
TCampbell
441 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 01, 2018 13:15 |  #2162

This is an image I shot about 2 years ago, but hadn't integrated all the data... I've finally re-processed it to get a better result. Specifically the core of M42 was a bit too blown out. I had captured a mix of 2 minute, 1 minute, 30 second, and 3 second exposures and tweaked the HDR a bit to reduce the brightness on the core.

This was shot using a 135mm f/2 lens.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4716/24856906857_625a177d3b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DSw9​pB  (external link) Orion Region HDR (external link) by Tim Campbell (external link), on Flickr

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by Madweasel.

Mar 03, 2018 02:36 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #2163

That's a lovely image, and I'm impressed how sharp the stars are in the 135L at f/2. I might have to get one! The Horsehead has come out well with the extra red sensitivity of the 60Da, and I guess you'd spotted M78 in the bottom left too.

Mark.

Davenn
946 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 04, 2018 02:19 |  #2164

TCampbell wrote in post #18575232 (external link)
This is an image I shot about 2 years ago, but hadn't integrated all the data... I've finally re-processed it to get a better result. Specifically the core of M42 was a bit too blown out. I had captured a mix of 2 minute, 1 minute, 30 second, and 3 second exposures and tweaked the HDR a bit to reduce the brightness on the core.

This was shot using a 135mm f/2 lens.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DSw9​pB  (external link) Orion Region HDR (external link) by Tim Campbell (external link), on Flickr

lovely shot TC, awesome processing

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

Pepster
104 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 14, 2018 01:25 as a reply to  @ post 18503448 |  #2165

Excellent image

nero_design
104 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 14, 2018 07:04 |  #2166

These three images were taken with two completely different lenses on two different cameras ... two shots were from my longest lens (which was handheld and even had Extenders attached) and the other was my cheapest lens (which was placed on a tripod). I still want to obtain a proper telescope this year. Or at least a tripod with EQ mount with tracking ability.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from nero_design's gallery.

[ABOVE] Taken from the porch of my front doorstep... I had to 'drag' Jupiter a little closer to the moon to squeeze it into this frame and the image is a 100% crop but it hasn't been enlarged in any way. I focused on the moon and used this focus-lock for Jupiter (my camera wasn't able to focus properly on Jupiter by itself). EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II + EF 2x III + EF 12 + EF 1.4x III (total focal length was 1803.2mm equiv). Handheld at 1/100 second (Jupiter at 1/125sec) ... due to the excellent optical image stabilizer on this lens. Technically this is three shots since I had to expose for The Moon, Jupiter and the Jovian moons separately. There was a fair bit of thermal flutter in the air at the time. I'd like to try this again in cooler months. I not bother to correct the CA in this shot because I liked the slight color tone on the horizon of the moon. Taken in JPEG, not RAW.

HOSTED PHOTO

[ABOVE] I'm fairly certain that this counts as an astro-shot... I climbed a lookout in the bitterly cold morning (in a t-shirt) to capture the sun rising over the Pacific ocean. I do NOT recommend using the OVF for this sort of shot due to the dangers of looking at the sun via magnification. EVF/Live-View only. EOS 6D + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II lens (handheld) with CPL filter. It was interesting to see the sun like this as it was braced with a cloud bank above it and the ocean below it. Taken in JPEG, not RAW.

HOSTED PHOTO

[ABOVE] Single exposure with Canon's EOS M6 mirrorless + EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens. Tripod used. A 'Tungsten' White Balance was deliberately used - which enhanced the blue hue of the night sky. Some post-processing was applied here to slowly draw out more detail. Surprisingly some very subtle details and structure were captured. I took this at f/2.2 with a 20 second exposure (hence the necessity for a tripod). No need for stacking, although stacking more images would have probably produced further detail and more nebulous material. I think that this cheap little lens (which once sold for just $149 for a while) is a very capable astro lens. Saturn appeared very bright with a teal-blue color. It has some diffraction spikes and was crossing the Milky Way at the time.

truecolors
175 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 08, 2018 21:27 as a reply to  @ post 18312355 |  #2167

Hi Tyguy, Sorry to bug you with a most likely stupid question, but what does the 3x30 subs(with dark as well)., mean? I understand the rest of it, but not that.
I'm looking to buy a tracking mount so I am wondering if that is all I will need for the time being? Thanks.

Sheron
Have some stuff, want more stuff, need a good eye.

TCampbell
441 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 09, 2018 08:50 |  #2168

truecolors wrote in post #18641788 (external link)
Hi Tyguy, Sorry to bug you with a most likely stupid question, but what does the 3x30 subs(with dark as well)., mean? I understand the rest of it, but not that.
I'm looking to buy a tracking mount so I am wondering if that is all I will need for the time being? Thanks.

It's shorthand. 3x30 means he took 3 exposures. Each exposure was 30 seconds long. They are "sub-exposures" meaning that each of these exposures is combined in software to produce the single image (via stacking software). Stacking reduces the amount of noise in an image.

Dark frames are frames taken at the exposure identical to the normal (light) exposure... but with the cap on the camera so that no light can enter. The purpose is to capture samples of how much noise will build up on the sensor in that amount of time at that same ISO (aka gain) level. When you feed dark frames to the stacking software it can use them to subtract the noise (especially pattern noise) from the light exposure.

The combination of both dark frames and stacking the light frames both combine to get clearer shots. The more data you feed it... the better the result. Some people capture data for hours and hours.

recrisp
Goldmember
2,368 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 10, 2018 07:47 |  #2169

truecolors wrote in post #18642258 (external link)
Hey Chris did you notice the lower right of your picture? What is that I wonder? Its different.
Nice star trails. I like the 2nd one.

Sheron,

If you click the "QUOTE" button on the upper right-hand area of your reply then we can all know who it is that you are responding to. In other words, even "Chris" may not know who you are talking to. :)

Just trying to help, that's all.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

truecolors
175 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 14, 2018 13:29 |  #2170

recrisp wrote in post #18642448 (external link)
Sheron,

If you click the "QUOTE" button on the upper right-hand area of your reply then we can all know who it is that you are responding to. In other words, even "Chris" may not know who you are talking to. :)

Just trying to help, that's all.

Randy

Randy, I can't thank you enough. I have been wondering how to do that very thing for a really long time now. :-)
Several times I have started to ask, but I was afraid I would post it in the wrong location,
making matters worse and looking even more ridiculous.:oops:
A big thank you.:love:;-)a

Sheron

Sheron

truecolors
175 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 14, 2018 13:53 |  #2171

TCampbell wrote in post #18641977 (external link)
It's shorthand. 3x30 means he took 3 exposures. Each exposure was 30 seconds long. They are "sub-exposures" meaning that each of these exposures is combined in software to produce the single image (via stacking software). Stacking reduces the amount of noise in an image.

Dark frames are frames taken at the exposure identical to the normal (light) exposure... but with the cap on the camera so that no light can enter. The purpose is to capture samples of how much noise will build up on the sensor in that amount of time at that same ISO (aka gain) level. When you feed dark frames to the stacking software it can use them to subtract the noise (especially pattern noise) from the light exposure.

The combination of both dark frames and stacking the light frames both combine to get clearer shots. The more data you feed it... the better the result. Some people capture data for hours and hours.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. There is so much to learn. Thank you.

Sheron

Sheron

sponsored links

609,879 views & 541 likes for this thread
You don't need a telescope
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.