Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 11:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100mm Macro as "normal" lens

Alveric
Goldmember
4,426 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 23, 2018 01:05 |  #16

The 100L is my go-to lens for headshots and portraiture. I don't find f/2.8 slow at all, and I tend to shoot said images @ f/8 or f/11 anyway.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Dillan_K
960 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 25, 2018 11:27 |  #17

The 100mm f/2.8 Macro does a fine job for 'normal' photography, but it does tend to have rather slow focusing speed. For me, that is its greatest drawback. I do use it mostly for general photography, since I don't do very much macro photography. When I bought it, I was still learning about what I wanted to do with my photography. Live and learn.

Gear: Canon 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 300mm f/4L IS, 5D, Elan 7, 420EX, Metz 52 AF-1
flickr (external link)

Moncho
154 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 02, 2018 09:34 |  #18

For a couple years the 100f2.8 non L was my portrait lens, on my 7D it was my second fastest lens after my nifty fifty, and my second longest after my 70-200f4.
Some days I would head out with it as my only lens, and I did get some nice images. But for some people the equivalent 160mm is understandably too long.

If you don't mind the focal length it is a very sharp lens. And one big advantage of working with macro lenses for portraits, is that you never hit the minimum focusing distance. Get as tight as you want.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Carpe Diem
(Seize the carp!)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 02, 2018 09:40 |  #19

if you want to try a true very versatile macro, play with a 50mm macro. While it doesnt do well shooting bugs, the focal length is way more useful more most other things.

I no longer even own a 100mm macro as the 50 is just much more versatile. I've got 85/135 for portraits.

Bugs are hideous, I avoid.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 02, 2018 10:08 |  #20

Moncho wrote in post #18575872 (external link)
If you don't mind the focal length it is a very sharp lens. And one big advantage of working with macro lenses for portraits, is that you never hit the minimum focusing distance. Get as tight as you want.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Moncho in
./showthread.php?p=185​75872&i=i139710559
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

For decades before digital, the 135 format cameras had about 100mm FL (assortment of lenses all in the 85-105mm FL range) as studio 'portrait' lens.
It gives facial perspective that others are accustomed to seeing in the subject, in everyday life, and captures it into a photo for the bookshelf/wall
It gives sufficient proximity to the subject that it is not 'a hike' to approach them and adjust pose and go back to camera position to make a shot
It permits an easily found and reasonable-sized room to be used for portrait shooting

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,193 views & 12 likes for this thread
100mm Macro as "normal" lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.