Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 26 Feb 2018 (Monday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Milky Way / Timelapse Lens for a Canon 6D?

johnsonjpj
40 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 26, 2018 11:27 |  #1

Hello everyone! I'm trying to figure out what my next lens should be. I mostly shoot timelapse and love shooting the milky way. I was previously shooting on a Canon T3I and have since upgraded. I used to use a Rokinon 14mm and loved it, but after leaving it out one night in Hawaii and the sprinklers turning on it has gotten some water on the inside that I can't get out -?

Anyway, i've upgraded to a 6D now and am looking for a new lens. The two things I didn't like about the Rokinon were that it clearly wasn't weatherproof and I couldn't attach a filter to it. I really wanted to experiment with an ND filter for some fun daytime timelapse, but that wasn't really possible with the 14mm. The other lens i'm looking at getting is either a 24-70 or a 24-105 for a sort of all around lens and then i'll pair it with a really wide lens for my timelapses / milky way stuff.

TCampbell
441 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 01, 2018 13:28 |  #2

What's your budget? I don't own any of the Rokinon lenses and was surprised to read it didn't have a filter thread. (Is that true of other models, or just an issue with the 14mm? Canon's 14mm doesn't have threads either because it has a permanently attached tulip lens hood.)

There are a few 24mm f/1.4 lenses on the market (which is why I asked you about budget). At f/1.4 you collect 4x more light than an f/2.8. While the 24mm is a longer focal length, it's less than double the focal length of the 14mm. When you net it out... the 24mm f/1.4 can still collect quite a bit more light than the 24mm ... even after compensating for not being able to run the exposures as long.

To keep noise under control, you'll want to be able to maximize how much "signal" you can collect. (maximize the "signal to noise ratio")

johnsonjpj
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Mar 02, 2018 11:18 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #3

The rokinon 14mm has a permanently attatched lens hood so it doesn't have a common filter thread.

I'd say my budget for a lens is somewhere under $600 is possible. That Rokinon is super affordable and can be found used for around $200, but id love to tinker with filters.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Milky Way / Timelapse Lens for a Canon 6D?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.