Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 03 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BH-55 LR Ballhead plate compatibility

neophyte52
603 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 03, 2018 17:48 |  #1

Was just about to pull the trigger on a new tripod w/ a BH-55 head when I noticed on the RRS site a warning about the quick-release style not being compatible w/ all Arca style plates. I have a wide variety of "off brand" plates on my bodies & lenses (have never had a problem w/ them), and don't want to have to replace them w/ incredibly expensive RRS plates. They claim that the screw-style mount will work, but I really prefer the QR type, as I shoot in cold weather frequently.

Has anyone actually had a problem w/ this, or is this simply an RRS attempt at CYA or to pressure us to all buy their plates?

Thanks!

Mark
Trying to compensate for lack of talent with lots of gear :lol:
My Gear

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,684 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by Nogo.

Jan 03, 2018 17:58 |  #2

If you read much on the web, the size of Arca Swiss plates has quite a bit of variation between brands. The screw type clamps have enough tolerance to pretty much adapt to any of the different brands. The quick releases just have a small amount of tolerance. There are plates from several brands that are compatible with those clamps but there are more that are not.

If you have many old Arca Swiss style plates, it would be best to get a screw type clamp. Otherwise just plan to buy new plates.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

sawsedge
752 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2018 21:26 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #3

That's a yes/no. The latest (since 2012) RRS lever clamps are self-adjusting and hold various widths of plates very firmly.

For example, when I started looking at lever clamps, I rented a Markins Q20 with a lever clamp. When it was adjusted for my widest old plate, my narrowest plate could by pushed out of the clamp with thumb pressure. When I adjusted it for the narrowest plate, it was unable to close the clamp on the widest plate.

In contrast to that, my RRS LR II clamp holds all of the same plates tightly (I cannot push them out of the clamp with any force I can muster). http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/B2-LR-II-Lever-release-clamp (external link).

In more recent years, Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, and some others (I think Hejnar) have all standardized on a single width, so this is not as much of a problem anymore. There are still brands that don't follow the same specs as RRS et al. Novoflex does not conform to this standard, for example.

It is still true that screw knob clamps will have a wider range of tolerance.

- John

peter_n
Goldmember
2,388 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 05, 2018 11:10 |  #4

^ +1. I too have had reliable clamping with the RRS self-adjusting clamps with a wide range of plates/brackets. There is no official dimensional standard for the Arca-Swiss type dovetail. A couple of years ago, I think it was Jobu who had an article comparing clamp/plate specs. They found that the products made in Asia were very slightly different to those manufactured in the US. My own experience confirms this, as in particular the dovetail angle on Markins and Benro plates was very slightly different to the RRS angle.

I use RRS and Acratech lever clamps and oddly enough the best fit to those clamps is from ProMediaGear, who also make other high quality camera support equipment.

~Peter

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,966 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 02, 2018 03:21 |  #5

peter_n wrote in post #18534031 (external link)
I use RRS and Acratech lever clamps and oddly enough the best fit to those clamps is from ProMediaGear, who also make other high quality camera support equipment.

I'm about to order RRS BH-55 Ball Head with Lever Clamp, and I'm thinking of getting the plate for it from ProMediaGear. Can you tell me which plate from them that fits the clamp the best?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,966 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 02, 2018 16:46 |  #6

Well, never mind. Instead of getting a PMG plate, I decided to order their L-bracket for my Canon 5DIII, instead. I've been falling in love with their products lately, and I like their modular L-bracket concept a lot (you can simply take off the vertical portion of the L when not needed and use only the plate). I also received the confirmation that the bracket fits the RRS 55-H Ball Head with Lever Clamp.

For my Gitzo monopod that I just received, I'm ordering the PMG Tomahawk Gimbal and PX4 4.5" Arca-Type Double Dovetail Plate that's going on my Sigma 150-600 C. I'll report back with how all these work out once I receive them.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

656 views & 0 likes for this thread
BH-55 LR Ballhead plate compatibility
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.