Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos! (2)

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
2,796 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 27, 2018 17:55 |  #7921

saea501 wrote in post #18573838 (external link)
Killer picture there, Sibil.

Very well done.

Agreed. Cool! :)

Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

sponsored links
AngelofDepth
146 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2014

Feb 27, 2018 18:01 |  #7922

Idaho

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4761/25655541937_c1cf964767_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4699/39815483704_ba1d7bbd2d_b.jpg

flickr (external link)

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Mar 01, 2018 21:33 |  #7923

Alviso Marina County Park, San Jose CA. My friend Elizabeth is walking along the path in the second shot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Joined Apr 2017

Mar 01, 2018 21:49 |  #7924

I took these shots from San Francisco Chinatown, just before they had their Chinese New Year celebration.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Joined Apr 2017

Mar 01, 2018 21:53 |  #7925

More Chinatown shots. I loved the colors and folksy art of the MagicBusSF.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,557 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2018 06:22 |  #7926

........if I could juuuuust reach this one over here...

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4785/40590756851_0b902ab80a_b_d.jpg

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

lucky7
Goldmember
1,594 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by lucky7.

Mar 03, 2018 07:17 |  #7927

Hey, everybody! I just bought one of these cameras and I'm a little bit annoyed with how complex it is (lol) compared to the 5d I've been using. Any idea why my files are all out of order when I pull them up on LR? Also, is there a way to delete all the images off the card easily aside from reformatting things?

I have a month to figure out how to work this thing before I go to Europe for a few days and I'm looking for any tips. Any settings I should have, how many images (raw only) I can fit on cards, etc.?
I bought two cards - a 32gb and 64gb, two of those 'wasabi' batteries and a cheap strap. I probably won't bother with video, I'll never turn on the wifi, GPS or use the HDR function.

The very first thing I noticed is how awful the AWB seems to be, and the colors just look terrible off the camera compared to the old 12mp 5d. I hope it's something to do with some settings in the (oversized) menu.

Anyhow, as I go through buyer remorse, what things should I know right off the bat? I did plenty of research ahead of time and just barely decided on the 6d over 5dII - high ISO capability and sensitive center AF were the deciding factors.

Thanks.

EDIT - I figured out how to sort things the way I want them. Not sure how it ever changed to begin with, but that part I've figured out, lol.

-Dane
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/danevan/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/11028609@N05/ (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,557 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by saea501.

Mar 03, 2018 07:53 |  #7928

lucky7 wrote in post #18576436 (external link)
Hey, everybody! I just bought one of these cameras and I'm a little bit annoyed with how complex it is (lol) compared to the 5d I've been using. Any idea why my files are all out of order when I pull them up on LR? Also, is there a way to delete all the images off the card easily aside from reformatting things?

I have a month to figure out how to work this thing before I go to Europe for a few days and I'm looking for any tips. Any settings I should have, how many images (raw only) I can fit on cards, etc.?
I bought two cards - a 32gb and 64gb, two of those 'wasabi' batteries and a cheap strap. I probably won't bother with video, I'll never turn on the wifi, GPS or use the HDR function.

The very first thing I noticed is how awful the AWB seems to be, and the colors just look terrible off the camera compared to the old 12mp 5d. I hope it's something to do with some settings in the (oversized) menu.

Anyhow, as I go through buyer remorse, what things should I know right off the bat? I did plenty of research ahead of time and just barely decided on the 6d over 5dII - high ISO capability and sensitive center AF were the deciding factors.

Thanks.

I've had mine for some time and what you are saying above sounds like you're talking about something other than a 6D. At least mine doesn't have these problems.

And you describe it as being complex......really? I've not had a 5D but I can't imagine it being that much more involved. Seems pretty straight forward and I came to mine from a 600D.

You say your files are not ordered...do you mean numerically? If so, not sure why that would be. When I open mine on my computer they are in proper sequence.

With regard to the AWB........heck, I never touch mine and the WB in my pictures is pretty much right where it needs to be most every time.

So, I'm sorry I'm not of much help to you here. I will say that it took me a couple of weeks to get used to mine. It definitely shoots differently than my 600D did so I had to change some of my techniques a bit. But at this point I have no desire whatsoever to get another body.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

AngelofDepth
146 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 03, 2018 09:29 |  #7929

lucky7 wrote in post #18576436 (external link)

Thanks.

EDIT - I figured out how to sort things the way I want them. Not sure how it ever changed to begin with, but that part I've figured out, lol.

If it's complicated you need to spend time with it. Buy a book, watch youtube tutorials or whatever works. If you spend the time with it you'll soon see it isn't that hard to figure out.

flickr (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 03, 2018 10:36 |  #7930

I can assure you that there almost nothing that the 6D will do that is worse than the 5D or 5D2 or whatever. You just need to spend the time to learn how to use the camera.

Shoot in RAW only. White balance can be corrected in post as long as you shoot in RAW so unless you are on a deadline and need to have the photos looking right SOOC, set it at AWB and forget about it.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

AngelofDepth
146 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 03, 2018 11:00 |  #7931

First photo from my new Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4766/26723756728_3f9deb388a_b.jpg

flickr (external link)

lucky7
Goldmember
1,594 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by lucky7.

Mar 03, 2018 12:24 |  #7932

saea501 wrote in post #18576450 (external link)
I've had mine for some time and what you are saying above sounds like you're talking about something other than a 6D. At least mine doesn't have these problems.

And you describe it as being complex......really? I've not had a 5D but I can't imagine it being that much more involved. Seems pretty straight forward and I came to mine from a 600D.

You say your files are not ordered...do you mean numerically? If so, not sure why that would be. When I open mine on my computer they are in proper sequence.

With regard to the AWB........heck, I never touch mine and the WB in my pictures is pretty much right where it needs to be most every time.

So, I'm sorry I'm not of much help to you here. I will say that it took me a couple of weeks to get used to mine. It definitely shoots differently than my 600D did so I had to change some of my techniques a bit. But at this point I have no desire whatsoever to get another body.

AngelofDepth wrote in post #18576532 (external link)
If it's complicated you need to spend time with it. Buy a book, watch youtube tutorials or whatever works. If you spend the time with it you'll soon see it isn't that hard to figure out.

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18576585 (external link)
I can assure you that there almost nothing that the 6D will do that is worse than the 5D or 5D2 or whatever. You just need to spend the time to learn how to use the camera.

Shoot in RAW only. White balance can be corrected in post as long as you shoot in RAW so unless you are on a deadline and need to have the photos looking right SOOC, set it at AWB and forget about it.

I'm starting to figure it out, but it's way different than what I'm familiar with. I bought an XTI kit from Best Buy in '07, replaced it in '16 with a 5d (which is older, lol), and here I am with a 6d. I've never owned a camera that shoots video - there's just a whole lot of stuff I don't need is all. Once I figure it out I'll be fine, but I'm not into tech so I act like I'm 100 years old when I get 'new' things. Watching my nephew today so I haven't been able to mess with it a whole lot.

I think I've figured out a few things already - the mixed up order of the photos was a setting in LR I didn't even know existed, so I assumed it was the camera doing it (never happened before).
The image setting on the camera was set to 'auto,' punching up the colors - I put it to 'neutral.' The very first thing I did when I got the camera was to flip the AF to the button the rear, change it to RAW with no Jpeg, and shut live view off.

What's the consensus on auto ISO? Do you use it, and when? If I have auto ISO turned on, in aperture-priority, is there a way I can set a higher shutter speed? I noticed yesterday that with my 50 1.8II that the shutter speed was around 1/30-1/50 or so. Maybe exposure comp will deal with that? Even with my 135mm on I'm getting 1/125 shutter speeds. I want at least 1/200 - nothing is in focus, lol.

I appreciate the responses, and apologize for the (likely) annoying first post in this thread, lol. I was a bit frustrated.

Out of 57 shots, this is one of the only ones in focus. It's also the only one I set the ISO manually (like I've always done).

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4767/40554812352_7e790fee2c_b.jpg

If I put Auto ISO on, the shutter speed goes to 1/40. That's a problem for me. Is there a way around this without going into the menu and selecting a minimum shutter speed every time I change lenses??
My 35mm f2 IS is in the shop, but that's what will almost always be on the camera. I can shoot that 1/10, no problem, however, that won't work with my other lenses.

-Dane
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/danevan/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/11028609@N05/ (external link)

lucky7
Goldmember
1,594 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 03, 2018 17:46 |  #7933

Ok, I think I have this sorted.
I set up C1 for my 85mm 1.8 - AV, Auto ISO, minimum shutter 1/125, focus on the rear.
C2 for my 135L - AV, Auto ISO, min shutter 1/200, focus on the rear.
My 35mm f2 IS doesn't need any min shutter setting, so I'll just shoot that on AV.

This 50mm usually collects dust, but again my 35mm is in the shop getting fixed. Rear focusing works fine on all my lenses but the 50 - the 50 doesn't have manual override.
My nephew took a 3hr nap, so I did some reading.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4762/39889540114_47687b13b8_b.jpg

Looks like I may want to overexpose slightly with this camera. My 5d seems best underexposed.

-Dane

AngelofDepth
146 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 04, 2018 08:06 |  #7934

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4695/39708417735_7f1e71f72e_b.jpg

flickr (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 04, 2018 08:50 |  #7935

we had a bit of weather recently and i came home from work this morning to find these had grown overnight...

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

2,289,754 views & 17,294 likes for this thread
6D Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos! (2)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.