Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Feb 2018 (Monday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50%, 100%, 75% crop

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,860 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Choderboy.

Mar 04, 2018 01:13 |  #181

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18577035 (external link)
Because some of us use photos - croped and uncropped alike - to gain information about how close we can get to different animals at different places.

If I am only interested in shooting Greater Sage-grouse at frame-filling distances, and am looking for a new place to shoot them, and I use flickr to search out new places, and see a frame filling closeup of a Sage Grouse that another photographer posted, then I will want to know if the image was cropped, and if so how much it was cropped. . This information will tell me what I need to know about the distance that I can get to the subjects at that one particular place where the photographer shot that image at.

Many of us look at images on the internet as a way of doing research for future photoshoot locations. It's not just about looking at a picture for enjoyment. It's hard-core research and the attempt to garner as much information from every single photo we come across as we possibly can.

By the way, this need is not sudden. . At all.

Those of us who have used photo viewing for research, as I have described above, have always wanted to know how much images have been cropped. . This dates back even to the days of film and prints. . I remember asking Leonard Lee Rue how much one of his deer photos was cropped, and that was a photo I saw in a magazine way back in the 1980s.

Macro photography. Particularly with an MP-E 65. Specifying uncropped allows a size reference of the subject if magnification and camera type are included. With other macro lenses, 'at 1:1, or close to" also achieves this. In both cases if crop amount is described in a way that can be understood, again, size reference is achieved.
Landmark photos. Sydney Opera House is well known. I can say 35mm full frame with an 85mm lens will frame it with enough room to allow some horizon levelling from thr International Terminal. Or just post a photo saying 'uncropped' or 'slight crop' and convey the same info. For someone that English is not first language, they only need to undertand 1 word: crop.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,773 views & 113 likes for this thread
50%, 100%, 75% crop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.