Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Talley.

Feb 28, 2018 11:16 as a reply to  @ post 18574440 |  #1276

I'm sorry... I'm a one body type of guy lol.

Canon or nikon or sony or fuji. Not both.

I've slowly transitioned to where I really like DPAF and find myself using DPAF alot for shooting more so when I video I'll flip over to live view for photos and then move back to video for a few more clips.

This was my biggest attraction toward sony. For me it was a progression. I need an all in one video/stills camera. Sony offers the best solution at this moment with the IBIS since I shoot handheld alot. I'm not a pro video guy w/ a gimbal rig... just need one camera.

I'd say the A9, A7RIII or A7III now offer better all in one capabilities over the 5D4. Ever since the battery became larger, grip became a bit thicker and the joystick I could no longer argue ergonomics. When the 5D4 was released... sony didn't have it. Now Sony does. Time to jump ship.

I'll probably be listing the 5D4 up for sale before end of March. I sure will miss that tactile mirror slapper though.

Oh... my other issue was lens selection but I think sony has done a good stride to get us the core. They are missing a few things. I"ll adapt my fisheye since I don't want to get rid of it and I'll adapt my 200/2 for now. Now that the Sigma Art's are going to be E mount and sony releasing a 400 2.8 they are doing well.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2018 11:25 as a reply to  @ post 18574387 |  #1277

I think I did say "I could definately see this being a 10yr body".

From henceforth I declare myself NULL AND VOID

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 28, 2018 11:26 |  #1278

Did Talley get plastic surgery? Quite different now, in his photo. He keeps no body for 10 years, that I am aware of, including this one  :p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2018 11:44 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #1279

I think his avatar has been sporting that photo for quite some months now.

He finally looks like an electrician :-D

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 02, 2018 12:05 |  #1280

Talley wrote in post #18574383 (external link)
I'm buying that lens.

It looks alot smaller than the canon version. To me looks like it'll be around 7.5-8lbs.

Gonna save up now: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ny_fe_400mm_f_2​_8_gm.html (external link)

Canon V-II is just over 8 lbs. The old one was about 13 pounds!!!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2018 19:00 |  #1281

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18575954 (external link)
Canon V-II is just over 8 lbs. The old one was about 13 pounds!!!

Yeah, tell me about it! .(I don't mean that literally)

I have that 13 pound lens, and carry it all over the place.

People who complain that a 70-200mm or a 1 series body are "too heavy" really just don't get it. . Another pound or three is meaningless when you are used to carrying a big lens around ..... and no, 3 or 4 pound lenses are not at all big.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

james.bond
81 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, Virginia orginally from Battersea Park, London, England and Jamaica
Post edited 3 months ago by james.bond.

Mar 04, 2018 01:23 |  #1282

Personally, I have the Canon 5D MIII and 40D, now I added the SONY A6300 and A7RIII to my arsenal. They are much better than the Canon in features. I am not going to sell my Canon equipment or lens, however, will be using my SONY AR7RIII virtually all the time from this point onwards.

5D Mark III/40D/ SONY AR7 R3 /A6300/ 24-105 F4L/100 f/2.8 Macro/ 50 F1.8 / 70-200L IS F4.0 / Kenko PRO Ext tubes 300/ & Pro 300 DG 1.4X / Monfrotto Tripod 785B/ Speedlite 430EX flash/ CB Rc Camera-Flash Platform / Manfortto Monopod 390 MM394 with 23RC/ 400mm f/5.6L
Inger Stevens, Swedish Actress of the 1950s- 1960s (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 10, 2018 17:26 |  #1283

I think the A9 is doomed *LOL*

A9 killer = Sony a7 III BOOM!!!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 10, 2018 18:02 |  #1284

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18576196 (external link)
Yeah, tell me about it! .(I don't mean that literally)

I have that 13 pound lens, and carry it all over the place.

People who complain that a 70-200mm or a 1 series body are "too heavy" really just don't get it. . Another pound or three is meaningless when you are used to carrying a big lens around ..... and no, 3 or 4 pound lenses are not at all big.

Me strong! me eat meat.

:p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

elitejp
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 10, 2018 19:22 |  #1285

scorpio_e wrote in post #18582178 (external link)
I think the A9 is doomed *LOL*

A9 killer = Sony a7 III BOOM!!!!

So true. Fortunately you dont need to worry about canon making that mistake :)

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 10, 2018 20:24 |  #1286

elitejp wrote in post #18582274 (external link)
So true. Fortunately you dont need to worry about canon making that mistake :)

I did see this from Canon rumors "A Prototype Full Frame Mirrorless From Canon Exists... So Canon does have prototype rumored *LOL*

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,400 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 10, 2018 22:45 |  #1287

The A7iii will not kill the A9 since it has a totally different sensor compared to the new A7iii.

I will say that going to a Sony Demo today it was an eye opener. I truly feel the 5dmk4 is such a wonderful camera body.

I tested the A7iii and A9 today and it felt incredibly responsive. Shooting along side the two Sony's I was very impressed how fast the Canon 24-70 f/4 performed with the Sigma adapter. The Sony rep highly suggested buying the Sigma over the Metabone v.5 adapter.

I tested both metabone and sigma side by side and the AF with the Sigma adapter felt much more responsive than the Metabone. The rep has tested the A7iii extensively and admits his shooting style the Sigma is noticeably better. I did not believe him until I tested it myself.

Weight wise the A9 with the big G master 85mm felt very confident in my hands. Not for certain the weight but I would feel my 5dmk4 w/ 85 f/1.4IS to feel just as good in my hands.

Canon will never be doomed as people's preferences are so personal and have applications for very specific reasons.

I did put a 55 f/1.8 and 16-35 f/4 sony lenses on that A9 body and it feels smaller than my Canon setup and slightly larger than my fuji X-t2 with battery booster.

Oddly at this moment I still cannot imagine dumping my 5dmk4 but I will have fun incorporating the Sony A7iii as the sweet spot 24mp setup. A9 is a beast camera but I think a high percentage of photogs will happily save money on the A7iii acquisition.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Godox V860iiS

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 11, 2018 06:57 |  #1288

AlanU wrote in post #18582405 (external link)
The A7iii will not kill the A9 since it has a totally different sensor compared to the new A7iii.

I will say that going to a Sony Demo today it was an eye opener. I truly feel the 5dmk4 is such a wonderful camera body.

I tested the A7iii and A9 today and it felt incredibly responsive. Shooting along side the two Sony's I was very impressed how fast the Canon 24-70 f/4 performed with the Sigma adapter. The Sony rep highly suggested buying the Sigma over the Metabone v.5 adapter.

I tested both metabone and sigma side by side and the AF with the Sigma adapter felt much more responsive than the Metabone. The rep has tested the A7iii extensively and admits his shooting style the Sigma is noticeably better. I did not believe him until I tested it myself.

Weight wise the A9 with the big G master 85mm felt very confident in my hands. Not for certain the weight but I would feel my 5dmk4 w/ 85 f/1.4IS to feel just as good in my hands.

Canon will never be doomed as people's preferences are so personal and have applications for very specific reasons.

I did put a 55 f/1.8 and 16-35 f/4 sony lenses on that A9 body and it feels smaller than my Canon setup and slightly larger than my fuji X-t2 with battery booster.

Oddly at this moment I still cannot imagine dumping my 5dmk4 but I will have fun incorporating the Sony A7iii as the sweet spot 24mp setup. A9 is a beast camera but I think a high percentage of photogs will happily save money on the A7iii acquisition.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AlanU in
./showthread.php?p=185​82405&i=i69182801
forum: Changing Camera Brands

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AlanU in
./showthread.php?p=185​82405&i=i67335925
forum: Changing Camera Brands

All very good points :)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2018 20:48 |  #1289

good by canon :-(

My Gear Archive

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,344 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 24, 2018 14:20 |  #1290

Canon Full Frame Mirrorless is Definitely Coming, and The Wait Won’t Be as Long as We Thought

We have now confirmed from a couple of good sources that a full frame mirrorless camera is well into its development cycle, as the camera is being used by select Canon pro photographers. We reported back in January that a survey went out to some Explorers of Light about what they wanted to see in a “professional” mirrorless camera, and that dialogue has apparently continued.

While an announcement date is not yet set for the camera, and little is known about it specifications wise, I’m very confident we’re going to see something announced before the end of Q1 in 2019.

One source said that Canon has been quite open about the product development with professionals because they want to be sure to “get it right”, and they don’t want to fall into the trap of a first generation product not being great.

The biggest question I want answered is what will the native lens mount be? No one has provided any reliable information on that or any other specifications.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a “development” announcement at Photokina if the camera itself isn’t ready for production.
More to come…

Read more: http://www.canonrumors​.com …we-thought/#ixzz5AhAwzSIv (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

88,979 views & 706 likes for this thread
Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.