Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

ccp900
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by ccp900.

Mar 04, 2018 10:21 |  #12961

JeffreyG wrote in post #18576961 (external link)
I do have to say, as adapted lenses go, this is not a permanent solution. In fact, if Canon really shows no FF MILC interest I might start moving to the GM 24-70, 70-200, 100-400 sooner than previously planned.

The thing is, when they hit focus, the adapted lenses are absolutely perfect. I mean, better than how they do on their own systems. If my Canon lenses appear to be on focus with my Sony, they are perfect.

But when they don't want to focus, they are stubborn mules. Today I was asking the EF 70-200 to focus very close to MFD. It would focus for a second, but just as I would go to stab the shutter, it would abandon focus and rack to infinity. It did this multiple times.

On the bright side, I gave up and just manually focused with the EF 70-200 and it worked perfectly. So the EVF still stepped up to allow me to get the shot. I'm moving faster towards Sony.

Softball varsity season is now the only thing holding me to Canon.

rent the 100 - 400 hehehhe. it might swing you over sooner.

note : if you're new here - this thread is a GAS thread. we push each other to buy more stuff hehehe. you need justification for that new lens? we can provide that to you. need some company when the misis kicks you out of the bedroom and into the dog house for that new 85GM? we will accompany you - WE LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND!!!!!

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

sponsored links
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,150 posts
Gallery: 1711 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 04, 2018 10:36 |  #12962

ccp900 wrote in post #18577282 (external link)
I'm sorry if this isn't available in the UK but I tried aeroclipse and it didn't remove the tough stain even with multiple cleanings. I ordered smear away from amazon and that did it in 1 swab. smear away is made by visible dust I think it's made in Canada.

there is a cheap alternative but mixed reviews on yhe solution but people seem happy with the swabs. Chinese made I think named VSGO

Agreed that Aero Clipse struggles with the hard to get off goobs BUT it is recommended by B.Smith Sony which implies he knows it is safe for the Sony sensor. He
does have extensive Sony contacts/gets big monies from Sony, so for Smear Away I'd like to hear that it is good for Sony. Don't want a sensor tragedy.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,749 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by navydoc.

Mar 04, 2018 11:10 |  #12963

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18577275 (external link)
Lot's of fun Gene and any 3'x3' space inside will work----so looking forward to yours!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=185​77275&i=i229391808
forum: Sony Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=185​77275&i=i75123835

Thanks for the detailed info Robert. I'll have to look into that trigger along with the table stands.

EDIT: The SplashArt2 kit I found on eBay says it only supports Canon and Nikon cameras, not mirrorless. Am I looking for the wrong item?

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

ccp900
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 04, 2018 11:30 |  #12964

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18577299 (external link)
Agreed that Aero Clipse struggles with the hard to get off goobs BUT it is recommended by B.Smith Sony which implies he knows it is safe for the Sony sensor. He
does have extensive Sony contacts/gets big monies from Sony, so for Smear Away I'd like to hear that it is good for Sony. Don't want a sensor tragedy.

smear away is water based - i was thinking it would be safer than the methanol based solvents - im no chem eng though so i was using common sense which i hope is correct hehehe. smear away can be brought on the plane as well.

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

ccp900
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 04, 2018 11:35 |  #12965

just saw this - dont usually pay attention to this spec but it can be useful

A9 goes up to 1/32000 shutter speed, A7R3 AND A73 go up to 1/8000 only

very useful if you shoot a lot during the day and you really need to use a big aperture

i actually saw it in Jason Lanier's video

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,585 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by xpfloyd.

Mar 04, 2018 11:37 |  #12966

LeeRatters wrote in post #18576793 (external link)
Guys, what make of (wet) sensor cleaning swabs do we all use? Preferably something that is available in the UK & not just over there ;-)a :lol:

Lee, here is the stuff I use (as recommended by Charlie). I bought it all from Amazon in september 2016 (Didnt realise it was so long ago!). Prices have went up slightly since I purchased.

Swabs (Cant remember it coming with fluid but it must have as this is the one from my past orders list) - https://www.amazon.co.​uk …_detailpage?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Sensor Loupe (Highly recommended!!) - https://www.amazon.co.​uk …_detailpage?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Dust Brush (Still not used this) - https://www.amazon.co.​uk …_detailpage?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85

shoshone
504 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 04, 2018 11:49 |  #12967

LeeRatters wrote in post #18576793 (external link)
Guys, what make of (wet) sensor cleaning swabs do we all use? Preferably something that is available in the UK & not just over there ;-)a :lol:

Lee I bought the Dust Patrol swabs and Gamma Optical cleaning fluid
Bought in UK from sales@crookedimaging.c​o.uk
:-)
Jamie

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony: A7rii
FE16-35ZA | FE 55 | B85

MedicineMan4040
17,150 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 04, 2018 12:06 |  #12968

navydoc wrote in post #18577327 (external link)
Thanks for the detailed info Robert. I'll have to look into that trigger along with the table stands.

EDIT: The SplashArt2 kit I found on eBay says it only supports Canon and Nikon cameras, not mirrorless. Am I looking for the wrong item?

Gene that was a fear when I left Canon that my splash'ing would be over.
But I found a cable that plugs into the SplashArt controller and into the multi interface of most of the new Sonys and it works a charm.
There SplashArt controller has a few knobs and one button you push to fire/release the camera. The Godox wireless works a charm and fires
all the Godox flashes.....all I have to do is play with the camera delay knob after the exposure parameters are set.
The other three knobs are drop size and delay between drops.
The exposure science/flash will be simple for you.
Now know the SplashArt is UK based and I had a problem with one set up, had to ship it back for repair. They did and quickly returned it. We like doing
it (when we do it) so much we have essentially two SplashArt kits---one as backup.
There are US suppliers (Cognysis, same people who make are macro rail set up) but they as I recall are more expensive.
So bottom line, I'm using the one (bought when all I was using was Canon) and here is why:
'Although it states suitable for Canon or Nikon with the selected cables, I have successfully used a cable (Sony S2) from TriggerTrap resulting in a new selection of Lenses and a Mirrorless set up. Verified purchase', because I had/have a Triggertrap and have their cable ......if memory serves.
Hope that helps.
If you do get into this PM me for suggestions on recipes or let's talk on the phone.
I did find this on a google search, surprised it was by me long ago!
Look here for a laugh! Poof was reading it and me asking who wrote it, she said me haha! I'd forgotten all about it.
So you'll see (like grooming/cleaning bugs) there is a whole world of mixtures/ratios/chemic​als/surfactants/just a darn huge list of variables.
Last night it was 3 (three!) hours into it before it started clicking. Now David Arbogast would say vodka to blame! Nope, we didn't start drinking until
over two hours in and all the set up was done :)

flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,749 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by navydoc.

Mar 04, 2018 12:19 |  #12969

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18577367 (external link)
Gene that was a fear when I left Canon that my splash'ing would be over.
But I found a cable that plugs into the SplashArt controller and into the multi interface of most of the new Sonys and it works a charm.
There SplashArt controller has a few knobs and one button you push to fire/release the camera. The Godox wireless works a charm and fires
all the Godox flashes.....all I have to do is play with the camera delay knob after the exposure parameters are set.
The other three knobs are drop size and delay between drops.
The exposure science/flash will be simple for you.
Now know the SplashArt is UK based and I had a problem with one set up, had to ship it back for repair. They did and quickly returned it. We like doing
it (when we do it) so much we have essentially two SplashArt kits---one as backup.
There are US suppliers (Cognysis, same people who make are macro rail set up) but they as I recall are more expensive.
So bottom line, I'm using the one (bought when all I was using was Canon) and here is why:
'Although it states suitable for Canon or Nikon with the selected cables, I have successfully used a cable (Sony S2) from TriggerTrap resulting in a new selection of Lenses and a Mirrorless set up. Verified purchase', because I had/have a Triggertrap and have their cable ......if memory serves.
Hope that helps.
If you do get into this PM me for suggestions on recipes or let's talk on the phone.
I did find this on a google search, surprised it was by me long ago!
Look here for a laugh! Poof was reading it and me asking who wrote it, she said me haha! I'd forgotten all about it.
So you'll see (like grooming/cleaning bugs) there is a whole world of mixtures/ratios/chemic​als/surfactants/just a darn huge list of variables.
Last night it was 3 (three!) hours into it before it started clicking. Now David Arbogast would say vodka to blame! Nope, we didn't start drinking until
over two hours in and all the set up was done :)

Thanks for the additional info, especially regarding a cable that will work with the Sony.

After doing some searching, I'm tempted to get the Pluto Trigger even though the water valve for splash photography is back ordered at the moment. If you haven't checked it out before, here's the link. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

https://plutotrigger.c​om/products/pluto-trigger (external link)

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

MedicineMan4040
17,150 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 04, 2018 12:28 |  #12970

ccp900 wrote in post #18577339 (external link)
smear away is water based - i was thinking it would be safer than the methanol based solvents - im no chem eng though so i was using common sense which i hope is correct hehehe. smear away can be brought on the plane as well.

CCP, Visable Dust says only compatible with-
Sensor cleaning swabs
Vswabs® MXD-100 Green
12 per pack
For anyone else studying this thought I'd share.

flickr (external link)

gaabnz
804 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by gaabnz.

Mar 04, 2018 12:30 |  #12971

xpfloyd wrote in post #18576775 (external link)
We don’t get greentoe here. The guy has said it’s mine for £2300 delivered. Cheapest grey market is £2650

Weird thing though, look at the photo of the rear screen. Sony is upside down. Thoughts??

EDIT - seller says it’s the screen protector and can Be removed? Does the a7riii come with a Sony screen protector?
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by xpfloyd in
./showthread.php?p=185​76775&i=i53334514

My A7ii which I brought second hand is the same. The sony logo is upside down on the screen protector

Sony A7mkiii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / Zeiss FE35 f2.8 / EF24-105F4L / EF70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,898 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2018 12:54 |  #12972

Thanks for the sensor swab input guys.

Eddie, VSGO are the ones I used before I think.... I still have fluid left over - Dust Patrol Alpha.

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18577391 (external link)
CCP, Visable Dust says only compatible with-
Sensor cleaning swabs
Vswabs® MXD-100 Green
12 per pack
For anyone else studying this thought I'd share.

Don't they just say that so you'll buy their swabs also though....?

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

shoshone
504 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 04, 2018 13:01 |  #12973

xpfloyd wrote in post #18576604 (external link)
It is indeed 16 years old but gives a good summary of the situation and was quite a revelation to many when published. If you want something more up to date (2014) I recommend this book - https://www.amazon.co.​uk …ect?_encoding=U​TF8&btkr=1 (external link)

Alternatively check out joe rogans podcasts with dominic d'agostino who is a leading expert on the subject. He has been on the podcast numerous times

Eddie Many thanks for that. I had never heard of this before yet oddly I received an email from Apple News yesterday and one of the articles was about Keto, have to say it conveyed some scepticism about the effectiveness. Article Title "Eat fat, lose weight"? ... Everyone is talking about the keto regime, in which high-fat foods take the place of carbs. What's the science behind the diet?

Thanks Again
Jamie

Sony: A7rii
FE16-35ZA | FE 55 | B85

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,585 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 04, 2018 13:03 |  #12974

shoshone wrote in post #18577423 (external link)
Eddie Many thanks for that. I had never heard of this before yet oddly I received an email from Apple News yesterday and one of the articles was about Keto, have to say it conveyed some scepticism about the effectiveness. Article Title "Eat fat, lose weight"? ... Everyone is talking about the keto regime, in which high-fat foods take the place of carbs. What's the science behind the diet?

Thanks Again
Jamie

No probs Jamie. From my own reading most of the scepticism comes from people who are fully invested in the low fat regime. All I know is it works for me and makes weight loss and maintaining weight easy

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 04, 2018 13:20 |  #12975

ccp900 wrote in post #18577285 (external link)
WAIT! that's a beanie?? I WANT ONE!!

Yes, it's a beanie...

This is where we got it...she loves it.

PURPLE Minion Despicable Me ~ Laplander Hat https://www.amazon.com …sw_r_cp_apa_MAe​NAbCFG2DB5 (external link)

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,814,053 views & 55,435 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.