Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 23 Feb 2018 (Friday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does anyone use a tripod for shooting models?

driving35mm
218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by driving35mm.

Feb 23, 2018 15:55 |  #1

I've tried a few times, but I always wind up taking the camera off the tripod, and I can't seem to remember to put it back on. If anyone has experience using one while shooting a model, I would welcome any stories you might have. Tips are always appreciated too.

If you could see your life through my eyes. http://www.instagram.c​om/sicfotos (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,302 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 23, 2018 16:57 |  #2

I start with the camera on a tripod & get the shot that I set up. Then I might take it off & do some more. It's easy when you have a quick release on the camera.
I've had a quick release plate on every camera I've owned for decades, so I can avoid putting the camera down & stepping on it.
Replacement Quick Release Plates?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

driving35mm
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2018 17:11 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

I have a QR plate that stays on the camera. I setup a shot and take it on the tripod, I just can't seem to remember to put it back on. Do you reset yourself to setup another shot and start the process over?

If you could see your life through my eyes. http://www.instagram.c​om/sicfotos (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Feb 23, 2018 17:33 |  #4

In conjunction with a radio remote, I find that the tripod has allowed me to separate myself from the camera so that my interaction with the subjectis more me-and-the-subject and less subject-and-the-camera. I feel that comes thru in what is captured.

Even professional models are not all that comfortable working in front of a camera one and one, whereas when you are capturing them on a runway is more them interacting with the audience.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
75,302 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 23, 2018 18:50 |  #5

driving35mm wrote in post #18570673 (external link)
I have a QR plate that stays on the camera. I setup a shot and take it on the tripod, I just can't seem to remember to put it back on. Do you reset yourself to setup another shot and start the process over?

Yes/no/maybe? Sometimes I don't start with the camera on a tripod & just shoot loose to help the "model" feel more comfortable with the process.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,443 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 23, 2018 19:42 |  #6

Never. I want to interact with the subject, move around, come in close and step back. A tripod is a noose.

ThreeHounds
719 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 23, 2018 22:30 |  #7

I usually start the session with the camera on a tripod, on a dolly, tethered, following my shot plan. As the session goes by, I will remove the camera from the QR clamp and just riff on what happens.
Pausing often with the model/client to review the raw captures on the live monitor and make adjustments or decide on a new idea...

When shooting product or still life, always on tripod.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,619 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 23, 2018 22:42 |  #8

Only when exposure time requires it, for the most part.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,838 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.

Feb 26, 2018 22:53 |  #9

I am going to try but only for class situation where I want to show what the camera is capturing. Otherwise just camera in hand. Now I wouldn't mind a nice camera stand in the studio but those are way more $$$ than tripods.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

NDAPhoto
160 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Mar 04, 2018 16:29 |  #10

Primarily for technical reasons. Any combination of: Low light. Slow shutter. Precise focus and depth of field. Repeatability. Composite backgrounds.

sponsored links

603 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does anyone use a tripod for shooting models?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.