Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,762 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 04, 2018 17:02 |  #12991

xpfloyd wrote in post #18577567 (external link)
Thanks, I’ll have a look.

When shooting indoors do you just generally pop on a Nissin i40 type flash?

Yeah when I'm out with the fam I usually have the godox 350 in my bag. I pop it on real fast as needed. FYI the i40 is a lot better than the godox and I want to get another one.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links
TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,829 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 04, 2018 18:39 |  #12992

so, usually when I am starting to edit a set of photos from an outing...I am pretty good at deciding which ones I like and which ones I will edit...every now and then I can't decide...I have settled on two images from my trip to the Lake on Tuesday morning, I have one of them almost done and one of them...I can't decide between the LE and the standard...

on one hand, the standard has good texture in the water that is unique to that morning, it was so windy that there were waves on a normally calm fresh water lake, the clouds are frozen in time and present well. I am not thrilled about the position of the clouds right behind the tree...

On the other hand...the LE has an ethereal feel to it, just a little texture in the water, the color was already fading by the time I got it setup, and I didn't go long enough and the clouds are just a little bit streaked...

shot with the 70-200 GM at 135MM...more than plenty sharp! And the tree was off center in the frame, its cropped a good bit to be square.

Neither are my favorite image from the outing...I might not even finish the edit...I am trying to be much more selective about what I edit...I really wish I had some better locations to work with...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by David Arbogast.

Mar 04, 2018 18:52 |  #12993

TRhoads wrote in post #18577644 (external link)
so, usually when I am starting to edit a set of photos from an outing...I am pretty good at deciding which ones I like and which ones I will edit...every now and then I can't decide...I have settled on two images from my trip to the Lake on Tuesday morning, I have one of them almost done and one of them...I can't decide between the LE and the standard...

on one hand, the standard has good texture in the water that is unique to that morning, it was so windy that there were waves on a normally calm fresh water lake, the clouds are frozen in time and present well. I am not thrilled about the position of the clouds right behind the tree...

On the other hand...the LE has an ethereal feel to it, just a little texture in the water, the color was already fading by the time I got it setup, and I didn't go long enough and the clouds are just a little bit streaked...

shot with the 70-200 GM at 135MM...more than plenty sharp! And the tree was off center in the frame, its cropped a good bit to be square.

Neither are my favorite image from the outing...I might not even finish the edit...I am trying to be much more selective about what I edit...I really wish I had some better locations to work with...
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=185​77644&i=i183837508
forum: Sony Cameras

Prefer the one of the left. Love the rich warm color and waves are interesting. The LE version doesn't have anything going for me.

If you don't like the clouds behind the tree, remove them them. They're just clouds (transitive elements) so there's nothing inauthentic about removing them.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,352 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 04, 2018 18:54 |  #12994

ccp900 wrote in post #18577288 (external link)
rent the 100 - 400 hehehhe. it might swing you over sooner.

note : if you're new here - this thread is a GAS thread. we push each other to buy more stuff hehehe. you need justification for that new lens? we can provide that to you. need some company when the misis kicks you out of the bedroom and into the dog house for that new 85GM? we will accompany you - WE LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND!!!!!

Yeah, I have to avoid the siren song and not accelerate my plan.

My plan is this. Use the Sony with 28/2, 55/1.8 and adapted Canon through 2018. I'll continue to use the 5D Mark III for action work. The idea is to play with the Sony A7rIII and make sure I really like it - EVF, form, controls, ergonomics and all. If I do, then I will move over wholesale.

The cautious approach obviously has it's advantages. Also, I have a pretty big kayak adventure planned this summer and the idea of two bodies is appealing in case i manage to kill one, which is always more likely when kayaking than anything else I do.

The problem with my approach is that I'm not really going to get a chance to test the Sony for action unless I get a native telephoto. I'm already realizing that nothing I do with the 28 and 55 lenses tell me anything about how the Sony does with action. I think I'm going to have to grab an FE 100-400 at some point just to see how that compares to my Canon 5D3 + 100-400/IS II.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 04, 2018 18:55 |  #12995

Kinda grumpy right now. Was just about to reserve a campsite at St. George Island State Park (FL) - the only one left available in the campground for the next two months - and just as I was clicking to reserve someone else snatched it.

Really makes me feel crappy.vmad

Now to look for somewhere else. Any suggestions?

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,352 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by JeffreyG. (2 edits in all)

Mar 04, 2018 19:04 |  #12996

David Arbogast wrote in post #18577664 (external link)
Kinda grumpy right now. Was just about to reserve a campsite at St. George Island State Park (FL) - the only one left available in the campground for the next two months - and just as I was clicking to reserve someone else snatched it.

Sure - Lake Superior Provincial Park, just 85km north of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. One of my favorite places anywhere and just 7.5 hours drive from my house.

Or did you mean now, this time of year? :oops:

But really....this place:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 04, 2018 19:07 |  #12997

JeffreyG wrote in post #18577673 (external link)
Sure - Lake Superior Provincial Park, just 85km north of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. One of my favorite places anywhere and just 7.5 hours drive from my house.

Or did you mean now, this time of year? :oops:

Sounds like an awesome place to be in the summer! It would be a looooooong drive from West Point, GA though. :)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
2,944 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 04, 2018 19:10 |  #12998

Finally something I can share. I've been stuck with a bunch of shots I need to edit. I know I've got a way to go on learning how to edit on the scale you guys do.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4723/38813903580_2c1a7b3099_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …8813903580/in/d​ateposted/  (external link)
Light Rays (external link) by Randy Smith (external link) on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | Loxia 21/2.8 + FE 35/2.8 ZA + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,158 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by vinmunoz.

Mar 04, 2018 19:12 |  #12999

TRhoads wrote in post #18577644 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=185​77644&i=i183837508
forum: Sony Cameras

i love long exposures but this time i think i like the one on the left. Like David said. it has more character.

VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE50F1.8 | FE35F1.4ZA | FE1635F4 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro | FOR SALE: LAOWA 15MM F2 ZERO-D
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,829 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 04, 2018 19:17 |  #13000

David Arbogast wrote in post #18577660 (external link)
Prefer the one of the left. Love the rich warm color and waves are interesting. The LE version doesn't have anything going for me.

If you don't like the clouds behind the tree, remove them them. They're just clouds (transitive elements) so there's nothing inauthentic about removing them.

Kinda what I was thinking too...the LE doesn't have the appeal in this case.

JeffreyG wrote in post #18577662 (external link)
Yeah, I have to avoid the siren song and not accelerate my plan.

My plan is this. Use the Sony with 28/2, 55/1.8 and adapted Canon through 2018. I'll continue to use the 5D Mark III for action work. The idea is to play with the Sony A7rIII and make sure I really like it - EVF, form, controls, ergonomics and all. If I do, then I will move over wholesale.

The cautious approach obviously has it's advantages. Also, I have a pretty big kayak adventure planned this summer and the idea of two bodies is appealing in case i manage to kill one, which is always more likely when kayaking than anything else I do.

The problem with my approach is that I'm not really going to get a chance to test the Sony for action unless I get a native telephoto. I'm already realizing that nothing I do with the 28 and 55 lenses tell me anything about how the Sony does with action. I think I'm going to have to grab an FE 100-400 at some point just to see how that compares to my Canon 5D3 + 100-400/IS II.

You could always rent the lenses to try them out...

vinmunoz wrote in post #18577683 (external link)
i love long exposures but this time i think i like the one the left. Like David said. it has more character.

Yeah, kinda the way I felt about it to.

Thanks to the both of you for your input, it is appreciated!

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 04, 2018 19:38 |  #13001

Cross posting from the a7 III thread just to pass on this helpful video on adapters for the new Sony owners here...............

The Camera Store has a new video showing the AF performance of the adapters (Sigma, Metabones, and Comlite).
They show that the Sigma MC-11 adapter works better than Metabones on Sigma lenses, but worse on Canon lenses.
I'm blown away by the Comlite Nikon-to-Sony adapter. Being able to get AF on a Nikon lens has been impossible till now. Sure, it's not as quick as Canon-mount adapters, but they're seriously opening up the range of Nikon lenses to Sony users now.

One final note. As I've mentioned before, I've owned Metabones IV and Sigma MC-11 adapters. And I have to tell you that when I tested both on my Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS, the extreme corners went really soft. The Metabones IV adapter, though, gave me pretty much identical sharpness as when the lens was on my 5DS R. Interestingly Tony Northrup details the exact same sharpness issue with the MC-11 on his channel. So, keep in mind that this video only reviews AF performance and they aren't looking at the sharpness performance.

If your name is Talley and you're bringing a bag full of Sigma lenses to the a7R III, then a Sigma MC-11 adapter makes a lot of sense. Talley probably should buy both MC-11 - to use with his Sigmas and - and the Metabones V to get the most from his 200L.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,762 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 04, 2018 19:43 |  #13002

I wonder if the a7III will play as well with adapted glass as the a9 does. a7rIII is really good, but it's super solid on the a9. Shot wedding receptions with adapted glass on it and everything.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,158 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 04, 2018 20:03 |  #13003

i think the AF system of the 7III is more identical to the A9 so my guess is positive.

VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE50F1.8 | FE35F1.4ZA | FE1635F4 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro | FOR SALE: LAOWA 15MM F2 ZERO-D
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Mar 04, 2018 20:06 |  #13004

Lately I've been delving into comparing LR and C1 and it's sort of frustrating. I was hoping to try to process a raw that came out looking the same from both applications, but I failed. I could get kind of close, but colors are difference. Tones are different. Highlight/shadow recovery is different.As you can see below, C1 does a better job at highlight recovery, however LR seems to lift shadows a little more (see lower right corner).

Another way that C1 excels over LR is how it handles highlight/shadow recovery. Look at the sky in the LR image. See the large halo between the sky and trees and awning? C1 handles it more evenly - I'm not seeing halos there. That haloing in LR will be amplified if you touch the clarity slider.

Don't get me wrong. I think both apps are superb. And there are aspects of the LR render I prefer. For instance I really like the diaphanous look of the filtered light through the green leaves in LR better - the C1 image looks flat there. And LR's toolset for removing the purple green fringing from the FE 35mm @ 1.4 is much better. But, then look at that extra detail that C1 is resolving in the paving - LR is just throwing that away. No amount of pushing sliders around in LR could get me the detail that C1 was providing. This really feels like a pick-your-favorite-poison. However, I do think I can supplement the C1 image with regional edits to offset it's shortcomings, but I can't recover the detail that LR is throwing away. So, C1 seems like it's the best choice for me.

This was with the Sony Distagon 35mm 1.4 ZA btw:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4765/38814461060_75144a7f4e_o.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4602/38814463840_5ddfe80276_o.jpg

Zoomed to lower left corner at 100% shows a lot of aberrant color from the lens. ;)
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4659/38814459220_5172d8c483_b.jpg

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,486 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 04, 2018 20:09 |  #13005

David Arbogast wrote in post #18577664 (external link)

That sucks David. I don’t know the region well enough to recommend a location.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2 α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Loxia 85mm F2.4 Batis 18mm F2.8 Distagon T* 35mm f/2 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro

sponsored links

901,735 views & 36,610 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.