Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 22 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Venice, Italy

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,863 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 22, 2018 21:42 |  #1

Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Architecture/Venice/i-xwwpskN/0/278dab3d/XL/Venice%20Island%2002-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …land%2002-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Crimzon
Cream of the Crop
5,222 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 24, 2018 14:24 |  #2

Very nice

My Flikr (external link)
My Imagekind gallery (external link)

Always feel free to provide constructive criticism to any of my pics.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,962 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 27, 2018 10:08 |  #3

Very nice indeed RP.
When were you in Venice?

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

mjcarson
252 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 27, 2018 17:32 |  #4

What a great place to shoot. My bucket list is to get there during carnival (probably will regret being there as I can't imagine millions of people crowding around!) Like the boats counterweighing the building. Wish the image went a little further to the right, the building sorta is cut off a tiny bit and maybe a touch less saturation for my tastes, but these are quibbles of preference only.

Matt
Stellarvue 90mm Fluorite, AstroTech 111mm and 72mm, Celestron CPS 1100, Losmandy GM-8, Olympus EM1.2, Modified Olympus EM5.2 and Olympus Pen F. Obviously more gear than talent.

thijs
70 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 06, 2018 05:43 |  #5

Looks good! I'd love to go to Venice one day, but all the stories of it being occupied by tourists only hold me a bit back.

The few (very small) remarks I have are about editing and timing.

It seems to be leaning a bit to the right, but I struggle with leveling my own images so this might not be the case. Aside from that the image looks a bit oversaturated and the contrast doesn't seem fitting to the lightning conditions. Could it be that this images taken around midday and that you tried to recreate a softer more contrasty lightning condition? Last note is about the two longer boats in the frame. As it is they are sailing out of the frame, maybe it would be nicer to have them more to the left and have them sailing into the scene.

Please don't take this as a lot of criticism, because your image looks already good the way it is. I am just trying to give some valuable feedback along with my compliment ;-)a

www.thijsvanluijk.nl (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,949 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 06:18 |  #6

Nice picture, brings back a lot of memories!

Venice and crowds can be a challenge. I have been there on about six occasions and found two things of benefit related to photography. Find out when sunrise is and get out on the walkways and bridges about 1/2 hour before. The lighting on many a building as the sun rises is beautiful. Position yourself appropriately, like at the end of a canal facing east, and the long shadows can do stunning things to the buildings. At mid-day, when the crowrds begin to peak, head over to the Venetian Ghetto, the Jewish quarter. It is far from being a ghetto except in name only. The crowds are far smaller but there is a proliferation of interesting photo ops and restaurants and coffee shops should they be needed.

A nice photo op is to stand at St. Marks facing the water, basiclly what the OP has provided, then turn left and walk along the waterfront for about 200 to 300 yards. You will find a small white church, certainly not significant from the outside; it would not normally draw your aattention. But this is the church where Vivaldi was a priest and wrote much of his music. The interior is beautiful. Be there when a group does a Four Seasons concert, and you'll discover beautiful acoustics as well!

Venice can be expensive for food but it doesn't have to be. Many years ago I learned the trick of asking the housekeeping staff for dinner reservations and found many a reasonable restaurant where locals go, not tourists. The last time we were there we ate at one place for three or four nights since the food was so good (and comparitively inexpensive). It was tucked away at a point where two "streets" met and well away from crowds.

Need something refreshing on a hot day...seek out a place that has a cold bottle of fragolino. It is a low alcohol slightly sparkling white wine made from a grape that yields a very definite strawberry taste, hence fragolino which means "little strawberry". Bars are not likely to have it, they would rather sell you prosecco at $10 a glass but ask at small grocery stores that might also have a few tables out front.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,962 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 12, 2018 10:54 |  #7

We went to Venice and Florence two years ago in February for my wife's birthday. We beat the heat and the crowds. While crowded, it was nothing like the summer can can be.
If she says lets go back in the heat of the summer, this Greek is ready to roll.
I don't let the heat or the crowds bother me.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

mphicks
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 24, 2018 07:08 |  #8

Love Venice and that's a nice pic

Commercial Gallery (external link)
Conference Gallery (external link)

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,863 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2018 13:02 |  #9

I was in Venice in 2013 (it seems like yesterday).

Here is a shot of the above image cropped more loosely. The image was shot from a window in the Dodge's Palace which overlooks the water...

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Architecture/Venice/i-bSKCvZf/0/21ff3b7a/X3/Venice%20Island%2001a-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …and%2001a-X3.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Here is a shot from the Rialto Bridge in later afternoon-early evening. I converted it into a painting and did a 16x20 canvas print which I have hanging in my bedroom. I like the positioning of the two gondolas (or is it gondoli?) :p

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Architecture/Venice/i-HNh6KR2/0/26b2f19f/X3/Grand%20Canal%20oill%2001-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …oill%2001-X3.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Here is a link to my Venice smugmug gallery:
https://rpcrowe.smugmu​g.com …itecture/Venice​/i-tgxzk8z (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Yaryman
153 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2018 10:00 |  #10

Just a note about Venice during the tourist season. There can be morning prices and afternoon prices for touristy items.
Small shops that cater to tourists sometimes raise the price of trinkets/crystal/glass in the afternoon as it gets more crowded.

Napa Valley Wedding Photography (external link)
ProPhoto Blog Discount (external link)

sponsored links

908 views & 3 likes for this thread
Venice, Italy
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.