Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem printing skintones on Pro-10

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 04, 2018 12:29 |  #1

I have a Pro-10 printer and have printed sports photos, auto racing, cityscapes, etc and have ZERO problems when printing. The colors that I develop to on the screen in Lightroom or in DPP print exactly as I see them. Even a cheer competition that I took photos of a month back seemed to print out fine. But photos I took yesterday and developed show a heavy red tint when I do a print preview. It is as if the girls have the worst sunburn imaginable. I haven't changed a thing and do the same adjustments as always. At first I thought maybe Lightroom was fubar so I opened the files un in DPP and the same thing happened. Converted and output to JPEG and went to print with the exact same results.

Also, her glasses are a teal color and appear teal when developing, and looking at the photos I've converted and am viewing on my cell phone, yet in the print preview they turn green. So somehow everything is getting a red saturation added. If I try to remove the red saturation in the develop module the photo goes to hell and all the colors go off in the print preview, except for the "sunburn"!!

What am I missing or what can I do to change the red skin color back to a more neutral flesh color?

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary

sponsored links
McNeese72
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Gallery: 886 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 05, 2018 14:15 |  #2

mikeinctown wrote in post #18577392 (external link)
I have a Pro-10 printer and have printed sports photos, auto racing, cityscapes, etc and have ZERO problems when printing. The colors that I develop to on the screen in Lightroom or in DPP print exactly as I see them. Even a cheer competition that I took photos of a month back seemed to print out fine. But photos I took yesterday and developed show a heavy red tint when I do a print preview. It is as if the girls have the worst sunburn imaginable. I haven't changed a thing and do the same adjustments as always. At first I thought maybe Lightroom was fubar so I opened the files un in DPP and the same thing happened. Converted and output to JPEG and went to print with the exact same results.

Also, her glasses are a teal color and appear teal when developing, and looking at the photos I've converted and am viewing on my cell phone, yet in the print preview they turn green. So somehow everything is getting a red saturation added. If I try to remove the red saturation in the develop module the photo goes to hell and all the colors go off in the print preview, except for the "sunburn"!!

What am I missing or what can I do to change the red skin color back to a more neutral flesh color?

Have you run a nozzle check to make sure you haven't developed a clogged nozzle in the print head??

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 06, 2018 07:49 as a reply to  @ McNeese72's post |  #3

The problem is not with the prints as it is printing EXACTLY how it is showing on the computer screen.

So what is happening, I am editing in LR and in this case even DPP4. I get everything perfect on screen but when I click print and the print preview pops up, suddenly there is a ton of red/magenta added. I'm not even getting to the point where I print. (I did print just to test and it prints exactly how the preview showed.) This only seems to be a problem with skin colors as every other photo I've taken has the prints looking exactly how they look when I edit and then print. It is usually what you see is what you get but not in this case and I'm super frustrated.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 06, 2018 07:58 |  #4

mikeinctown wrote in post #18578764 (external link)
The problem is not with the prints as it is printing EXACTLY how it is showing on the computer screen.

So what is happening, I am editing in LR and in this case even DPP4. I get everything perfect on screen but when I click print and the print preview pops up, suddenly there is a ton of red/magenta added. I'm not even getting to the point where I print. (I did print just to test and it prints exactly how the preview showed.) This only seems to be a problem with skin colors as every other photo I've taken has the prints looking exactly how they look when I edit and then print. It is usually what you see is what you get but not in this case and I'm super frustrated.

My bad! I didn't completely comprehend what you were saying.

What computer system are you using to process your photos?

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by McNeese72. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 08:13 |  #5

The reason I was asking about computer is that I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop with a 4K screen that I got this past year. There was a program on called Dell Premier Color that was screwing up the saturation in different views in Lightroom and it was overriding my custom monitor profiles. I would do a custom monitor callibration, make a profile, and make it the default. But everytime I restarted the laptop, the Dell Premier Color profile would revert back to the default profile and I would start having the saturation changes in the different views in Lightroom.

I finally disabled the Dell program and eventually deleted it and have never had those problems since then.

Probably not your problem but such things can happen.

Doc

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 06, 2018 09:56 |  #6

No, this is a custom built PC. (not from Dell, HP, etc)

Tonight i will probably re-edit the photos from scratch and send them to Costco for printing to see how they come out. If perfect then I will know that they are printing how they appear on my monitor and that somehow the printer color profiles need to be adjusted. (no idea how)

sponsored links

753 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem printing skintones on Pro-10
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.