Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 29 Feb 2016 (Monday) 20:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

'Famous' photographer lashes out in comments

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,721 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 05, 2018 16:51 |  #91

LisaJH wrote in post #18578390 (external link)
I've seen this, many many times, and this sounds exactly like something Jake would say. Those who do not know him would not understand his sense of humor. I'm not even remotely offended - I find it amusing. Thanks for trying though!

So does Jake suggesting someone commit suicide also amuse you? I'm interested in hearing your response on his entire conversation, not just selective snippets saying "that's just Jake being Jake".

I'm from Nebraska and know several very good photographers on here from Nebraska and not a single one of them has ever said anything to me in private that Jake said in public.

Perhaps Jake has learned a lesson since his poorly narrated tutorials are practically being given away, but I doubt it since you state his persona, is what it is, which is unfortunate if he would ever hope to mature as a human being and learn how to treat people accordingly instead of the manner in which he "humorously" chooses to do so.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentacon 645D I SMC FA 645 75 f2.8
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,334 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 05, 2018 17:05 |  #92

I've seen this, many many times, and this sounds exactly like something Jake would say. Those who do not know him would not understand his sense of humor. I'm not even remotely offended - I find it amusing. Thanks for trying though!

This has nothing to do with our "understanding" anything about this person. There is no humor to be found in his remarks.

Something about a gay bashing homophobe who has more than once suggested someone consider suicide makes me want to vomit. It is literally everything that is wrong with our modern society. It is especially disturbing when others find it humorous and "amusing". Normalizing this kind of behavior is almost as bad as actually being the one spewing this garbage.

The reality is it's f'ing pathetic. In fact, if you actually read this thread, plenty of us were hopeful he would get help. I'm pretty sure no one wished harm on him, and no one labeled him with slurs unless they were suggesting he got help. If it is true that this story and his behavior didn't represent some mental break, then maybe he should get help in some other form to better understand societal norms and compassion for other human beings.

Again, nothing about his behavior should be considered normal, and to be clear, you and others who brush off this crap as normal only serve to empower them to continue their anti-social, hurtful behavior.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2018 21:46 |  #93

Lisa,

With all due respect, it doesn't matter at all if you are offended or not, because the scourging remarks were not directed at you.

What matters is the people who he bullied, and whether they were hurt by his words. . If those people don't understand his humor, and his humor comes off as horrifically hurtful and damaging to those who do not "understand him", then he must refrain from using such humor, because it can do so much damage to others.

Some people think that they can get away with mean or critical comments if they act like they are "just kidding" - like it's just a joke ...... but way deep down, they aren't just kidding, and they really did mean to get a dig in. . I bet we all have someone in our lives who has done this very thing to us at some point. . It is cowardice in it's most pathetic form.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Jotto123
110 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Jotto123.

Mar 06, 2018 05:23 |  #94

Honestly, that person's comment on why the price was mentioned was annoying. People like that who just have to criticize irrelevant stuff irk me too. Jake just took it way too far.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 35Art

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by chris_holtmeier. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 08:07 as a reply to  @ post 18576072 |  #95

I live in the same state as Jake. That's my real name in the upper left corner of this post.

His actions have damaged the profession that I love, and use to provide for my family, in a very real way. All because he decided to go on another drug-fueled bender? I'm sure he's a "wonderful friend" when he's sober though.

I make photographs because I want to capture beauty, and truth. Jake seems to espouse hate and ignorance.

To defend his actions is despicable, Lisa.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,880 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 06, 2018 09:19 |  #96

Ok, I'll go hang my head in shame. :lol: Sorry, when I see a friend being bashed on a forum I frequent, I will stick up for him. Don't really care what any of you think about it either. I've been called worse than despicable before - I'll survive. :lol:

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,688 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by David Arbogast. (3 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 09:47 |  #97

This forum needs a fresh new drama thread:

‘Famous’ photographer lashes out in comments defending ‘Famous’ photographer who also lashed out in comments

:p

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 35mm F1.4, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

mcoren
431 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 06, 2018 10:06 |  #98

LisaJH wrote in post #18578822 (external link)
Ok, I'll go hang my head in shame. :lol: Sorry, when I see a friend being bashed on a forum I frequent, I will stick up for him. Don't really care what any of you think about it either. I've been called worse than despicable before - I'll survive. :lol:

Lisa, the fact that you're defending Jake so vigorously for something that so many people find indefensible speaks volumes about the kind of loyal friend and person you are. Everybody should have at least one friend like you.

But as a loyal friend, consider that maybe the best thing you can do for Jake is to help him understand where he crossed the line (or lines) and why so many people are offended by his words. That's not trying to change the person he is, but making him aware of the effects that his actions have on others.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 10:08 |  #99

As a minority kid growing up in the 80's/90's, I got called all sorts of stuff that then was socially accepted as humor. In hindsight, that crap can really affect the psyche of a person and I'm glad my 9 year old son can be his brown-self without being ashamed of it because society thinks its OK to call him out for being different. I don't find telling someone to commit suicide to be any different. Depression and teen/adult suicide are real issues in the United States.

It really irks me when someone passes the kind of stuff that Jake Olsen says off as humor and tells people to stop being so sensitive. People have a right to be offended when someone says something offensive...regardless of what their intentions were. There's a thing called social empathy that he seems to lack.

Don't get me wrong...I live in a very diverse city and poke fun at my friends and their cultural/sexual/religi​ous/etc quirks to their faces and there's beauty in the ability to laugh at ourselves and do that. But on the internet and a public forum you need to be especially careful with how you say things because 'humor' doesn't always translate well in text.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
258 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 3 months ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 10:10 |  #100

David Arbogast wrote in post #18578838 (external link)
This forum needs a fresh new drama thread:

‘Famous’ photographer lashes out in comments defending ‘Famous’ photographer who also lashed out in comments

:p

Now Infamous  :p

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,334 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 06, 2018 10:47 |  #101

LisaJH wrote in post #18578822 (external link)
Ok, I'll go hang my head in shame. :lol: Sorry, when I see a friend being bashed on a forum I frequent, I will stick up for him.

it's one thing to stick up for a friend who is having a hard time, it is something else to excuse his bad behavior. Incidentally, i have this kind of conversation with my young children. Just because someone else acts badly, or you are having a bad day, that doesn't excuse any bad behavior of your own. Luckily kids these days are being taught to recognize bullying behavior and not accept it as normal.

but the rest of us who can see how pitiful his bad behavior has, also probably understand that there are others who can't recognize behavior that is harmful to society.

I suspect that those who can't recognize bullying are to some degree probably bullies themselves, or at least less capable of feeling empathy for others.

we can only hope that more people lean toward compassion and understanding and less toward marginalizing individuals and entire segments of the population.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 06, 2018 14:16 |  #102

I am going to close this thread now.

- Some of it's content has gone into specifics that = thread closure on POTN.

- The dust up has spread beyond the original source to include well respected members of this forum that I would prefer not be chased off due to this conflict that had nothing to do with POTN.

Please be kind to each other out there.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

22,572 views & 146 likes for this thread
'Famous' photographer lashes out in comments
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.