Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 04 Dec 2017 (Monday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Peak Design: Slide or Slide Lite

bluemoons
25 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2017

Dec 04, 2017 16:17 |  #1

Hey all. There's literally a camera strap advice thread three posts down from this one (presently), but I was hoping to get some specific advice. I have a 7d2 and am in the market for a new strap. I'm pretyt sold on Peak Design, but I'm torn between the Slide or the Slide Lite. I'd prefer to go less bulky with the Slide Lite, but I'm not sure if it's enough strap. In most situations where I'm using a strap, I have either a 70-200 2.8 or a 24-70 2.8 on the body. Anyway, does anyone here use the Slide Lite for a full sized DSLR with a long lens? Thoughts?

Thanks!

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 04, 2017 16:34 |  #2

I use both DSLR and mirrorless and have both straps. With DSLR I prefer the slide. The weight is distributed over a larger surface area making it more comfortable, particularly during extended use. The difference between the two in terms of ‘bulk’ is negligible.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 04, 2017 18:45 |  #3

For a DSLR with those f2.8 zooms I'd suggest the slide. As nqjudo said, the size difference between the slide and lite is negligible but the slide will be more comfortable for longer with a DSLR.

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Dec 04, 2017 19:25 |  #4

Peak Design markets the Slide Lite for "mirrorless". Usually when something is marketed for mirrorless, I take that to mean it's for fuji or leica sized gear. I'm a Sony shooter and I buy full sized straps, bags, etc. because (despite what most Sony shooters would try to convince you) the size and weight really isn't that different. That's why I just bought the brand new Slide (not publicly released yet) instead of going with the Slide Light.

For a 7D with those large lenses I would FOR SURE go with the Slide.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

bluemoons
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2017

Dec 05, 2017 09:04 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #5

Great, thanks. That's what I needed to hear.

Islandphoneman
32 posts
Joined Jun 2017

Dec 06, 2017 16:37 |  #6

Another vote for Slide, I use it with two different DSLR setups and carry them for hours without irritation or neck fatigue from the heavier setups.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 20, 2017 11:45 |  #7

for a DSLR and decently sized lens, Slide is the best option to go. Slide Lite is best suited for lighter and smaller cameras. The Slide Lite would work fine with your set up but you'd want the added width for additional comfort

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

MrWasabi
40 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 06, 2018 12:27 |  #8

I'm interested in the Slide Lite for my SL1 but have read that you need to be careful with the metal adjusters on the newest version. Anyone have scratching issues with it?

Canon EOS 100D / EOS Rebel SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 13, 2018 10:21 |  #9

MrWasabi wrote in post #18578993 (external link)
I'm interested in the Slide Lite for my SL1 but have read that you need to be careful with the metal adjusters on the newest version. Anyone have scratching issues with it?

I've used the original SlideLite and the new version and never had an issue. I also used the original Slide and newer Slide. The sliding mechanism on the strap is plastic. The only portion I think is the silver handle. But when you place it in a bag, you would move the strap away from the screen anyways.

I've heard people of having the the metal on the Cuff wrist strap scratching the screen but not the Slide straps.

https://youtu.be/U4qjS​UZ9FO8 (external link)

FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,226 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 13, 2018 10:51 |  #10

I don't think I'd be hanging my camera from those tiny little threads. Those look scary.

Looks like the same kind of string that comes with a point and shoot.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 13, 2018 12:38 |  #11

saea501 wrote in post #18584486 (external link)
I don't think I'd be hanging my camera from those tiny little threads. Those look scary.

Nope. Completely different type. The anchor links are: Glass-reinforced nylon Links with stainless steel springs, 2-layer anti-abrasion woven thermoplastic Anchor cord, thermoplastic Anchor overmolding.

It can hold up to 200lbs. As a company, they would not risk damaging buyers camera gear. Bad rep if anything happened. I've held a 5D Mark IV and a 70-200 with no problem and ran with it too.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 14, 2018 15:26 |  #12

saea501 wrote in post #18584486 (external link)

Look can be deceiving. There is a reason a lot of people are using peak design straps now a days and “those tins little threads” are part of the reason why. I have an original set of anchor link that are still going strong and it’s been 4 or 5 years since I first go them.

The newer anchor links have working treads built into them as well. So if they do get worn you can easily see and replace them.

Super strong “little threads” lol

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 14, 2018 15:42 |  #13

gremlin75 wrote in post #18585605 (external link)
Look can be deceiving. There is a reason a lot of people are using peak design straps now a days and “those tins little threads” are part of the reason why. I have an original set of anchor link that are still going strong and it’s been 4 or 5 years since I first go them.

The newer anchor links have working treads built into them as well. So if they do get worn you can easily see and replace them.

Super strong “little threads” lol

Not to mention, the new anchor links are also thinner and still hold the same weight as the older versions.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 14, 2018 16:40 |  #14

Islandphoneman wrote in post #18512230 (external link)
Another vote for Slide, I use it with two different DSLR setups and carry them for hours without irritation or neck fatigue from the heavier setups.

My experience differs slightly. I have Slide and was using it for one of my bodies until I went with Black Rapid. After a full day of 5DIII with 70-200mm f/2.8 it was quite irritating. I resolved by purchasing this pad:

https://www.amazon.com​/gp/product/B004R2U52K (external link)

It's increased in price! I think I paid $12. Anyway, it's a good add on if you feel the slide has too little padding.

sponsored links

1,276 views & 3 likes for this thread
Peak Design: Slide or Slide Lite
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.