Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 11 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Bird shooters using an X-T2?

SuperSirLink
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2017

Oct 11, 2017 18:13 |  #1

Curious to hear experiences of those who are... I am going to switch from using my 5D3 with 100-400 mkI, wondering how it will compare and any potential shortcomings ...

sponsored links
Itsed65
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 1129 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 11, 2017 20:45 |  #2

I will be taking my X-T2 with me up to Klamath next month along with all my Canon gear to give it a try.

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 Sony A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

SuperSirLink
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2017

Oct 21, 2017 07:21 |  #3

Would be interested to hear how it works out for you...

Kevin ­ Hall
115 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 03, 2018 19:08 |  #4

I picked up a X-T2 and the XF 100-400 in early February, just added a Godox XproF and a V860IIF. I haven't had much opportunity to use the camera or flash yet but
in preliminary testing of just the camera and lens, I am very satisfied with the results.

Male House Finch at a backyard feeder setup. 400mm, 1/340 sec @ F8, ISO 1600, Velvia setting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

“By reading this message you are denying its existence and implying consent.”

Kiwimochi
385 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 05, 2018 11:48 |  #5

Xt-2 focus system is not there yet. It has a hard time to track erratic movements and background separation.

Kevin ­ Hall
115 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 06, 2018 12:42 |  #6

A tool is a tool, with abilities and limitations. It is up to the craftsman to handle the tool towards the desired effect.

Is the X-T2 the best tool for all varieties of bird photography? Perhaps not for all circumstances, but much depends on the photographer.
Is it a capable tool for all varieties of bird photography? Yes it is. But once again, your mileage may vary.

What does that mean? There are areas where you may need to adapt and overcome situations, use your head and call upon your experience.
This is nothing new, it was always such. When I started my journey in 1995, people were making bird images with vastly inferior cameras. Bird
photos were made many decades before then with even worse. How is that? You know the answer, it's not the camera.

In years to come we will have even better tools to work with, it will still be the photographer that makes a great image.

For now, I couldn't be happier with the quality I'm getting out of my X-T2. I'm not missing Canon or my 1D IV at all.
Your mileage may vary.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

“By reading this message you are denying its existence and implying consent.”

ETS
689 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 14, 2018 13:22 |  #7

Looking forward to using mine whenever I can afford to get the 100 - 400. I have no doubts about this cameras suitability for shooting birds.

Fuji X-T2,5D MKII,Rebel XTi
17-40L, 70-200 F4L, 400mm F5.6L, 100mm F2.8L, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
580 EX II

Shaun ­ Liddy
177 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2016
Post edited 2 months ago by Shaun Liddy. (2 edits in all)

Mar 30, 2018 21:43 |  #8

Kevin,

While I constantly work on my abilities, I was thinking about it the other day. Birds (and other things) were photographed long before complicated AF was available.

For me it's much like anything that gets automated. It lessens a driver's abilities and wearwith all or a musicians understanding of chords and the structure. Or a photographer's ability to adjust based on circumstance.

There are many here with more experience and likely talent than I have, but I try to learn as much as I can the "old" way. Try that of your grandfather's way (so to speak) then complain about today's complex systems.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 02, 2018 20:03 |  #9

Heck yes! I sold my DSLR gear due to weight and size and never looked back. I have photographed all kinds of birds with the X-T2. Truthfully, action shots such as diving eagles or pelicans are more difficult to capture (yeah. I know. Everyone is going to post a zillion pictures to prove me wrong...) but other than that, the X-T2 can easily hold it's own.

sponsored links

3,081 views & 6 likes for this thread
Any Bird shooters using an X-T2?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.