Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 18 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity

Meanie
114 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Meanie.

Feb 18, 2018 14:27 |  #1

I have the 60D which most probably know, isn't WiFi compatible. My objective is to connect to my iPhone in order to save the pictures to it and possibly send them via text, email, etc. when out in the field. I'm contemplating a newer camera with WiFi but haven't done any serious comparisons yet to conclude if it's worth it based on features I would use other than the WiFi. Thus, adding connectivity to my phone is top priority. I'm aware of some products such as the CamRanger and the WE-1 SD card (which I'm uncertain would work in my camera), but wanted advice mainly from those with personal use, though, all other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated as well.

Thank you

sponsored links
chrisa
972 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 18, 2018 19:52 |  #2

I have one of these.
https://www.amazon.com …age_o07_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

I just checked and you can copy files from a sd card onto your phone. Worked flawlessly.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,348 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 18, 2018 20:07 |  #3

This thing is either about ready to take off, or be a spectacular failure.

https://witharsenal.co​m (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Meanie
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 18, 2018 21:06 |  #4

chrisa wrote in post #18567041 (external link)
I have one of these.
https://www.amazon.com …age_o07_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

I just checked and you can copy files from a sd card onto your phone. Worked flawlessly.

It requires internet connection. This won't work if I'm in the field, where I snap photos, want to send to my phone then text to someone, unless I'm missing something.

Meanie
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 18, 2018 21:07 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18567049 (external link)
This thing is either about ready to take off, or be a spectacular failure.

https://witharsenal.co​m (external link)

Looks very promising. I agree....could be huge or a bomb.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,284 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2018 06:09 |  #6

1) I have used the dslrcontroller app and a $50 MR3040 router to do wifi transfer and even remote control with bodies without WiFi. That works pretty well, the router has a built in battery which is good for an hour or two of shooting, maybe a bit longer. The arsenal above just seems to be a revamp of this design, I fail to see what it brings to the table over $50 of hardware and a bit of your time to flash the firmware.

2) With the wifi enabled cameras that have web services on them, you can tether to your phone to get to the internet, and the camera itself will transfer selected photos to Google Drive, Facebook, or whatever you want. I do this during basketball games for the media table. The only thing you use the phone for is for the internet connection, or if you shoot in an environment that has a router, you can just have the phone connect to that, but the signal loss might cause issues.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

chrisa
972 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 19, 2018 08:32 as a reply to  @ Meanie's post |  #7

No internet needed. It creates its own wireless network.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,284 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2018 10:34 |  #8

How will the pictures make it to email/social media/online storage without internet? I am not sure taking out an SD card, popping it into this ravpower, making copies, then using the phone to pull those files to the phone to transmit out is very efficient. The extra step is the sd card/copy function over other options that won't require that. You would have that device plus the cost of a USB drive too.

I like the looks of this device for offline storage while on the field though!

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 19, 2018 10:58 |  #9

Camranger, qDslrDashboard, dslrcontroller all use a t-link travel router. Your phone, tablet or laptop connect to that router via wifi.

You can transfer an image to your device and then send out via sms or whatever you are wanting. The problem you are going to run into is going to be storage. Phones especially don't have an abundance. If you shoot RAW you will need to do RAW+JPG.

These devices can be setup to only download thumbnails as well.

I personally own Camranger and qDslrDashboard. Camranger is rock solid. qDslrDashboard can be a bit flaky but I like it better.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

chrisa
972 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by chrisa.

Feb 19, 2018 13:32 |  #10

I'm using it to transfer files to an SSD in the field.

tbsteph
105 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 19, 2018 14:14 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #11

It uses your phone's cellular connection. The camera only talks to your phone via the Canon Connection app.

Canon EOS 100D / EOS Rebel SL1 EOS Rebel SL2 | Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,284 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 19, 2018 21:02 |  #12

tbsteph wrote in post #18567579 (external link)
It uses your phone's cellular connection. The camera only talks to your phone via the Canon Connection app.

My reply was about the ravpower device. I know how the camera uses the phone. ;)

Meanie
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 22, 2018 11:25 |  #13

Thank you all. I’ll look into all devices.

chrisa
972 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 06, 2018 14:18 |  #14

I’m shooting raw plus jpg right now and copying the jpg’s to my iPhone using the rav power. It’s working out great

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon ­ Amateur
249 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 20, 2018 14:57 |  #15

chrisa wrote in post #18567544 (external link)
I'm using it to transfer files to an SSD in the field.

I have the RavPower too, model RP-WD03, but never thought about this option. Thank you.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

sponsored links

1,383 views & 1 like for this thread
Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.