Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about 3rd party lenses (Tamron)

jdnan
386 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 06, 2018 10:32 |  #1

The recent reviews on the new Tamron lenses are quite good and I've seen them finally being recommended as quality, lower cost alternatives to OEM lenses. I'm specifically interested in two: the Tamron 100-400 & the 150-600 G2 for Canon.

The biggest knock I've received about buying these lenses is that they may be good for a few years but they won't hold up and they won't work with a new camera body in 5-7 years from now. I'd be curious to get opinions on these claims & I'm wondering if the ability to update lenses with the tap-in console renders the second knock a moot point? All thoughts & opinions are welcome.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback

sponsored links
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,720 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 06, 2018 10:52 |  #2

sorry but those people who say they wont be good are probably brand fanboys trying to steer you to the brand they love.
I have had many 3rd party lenses for YEARS and there has been no issues. I have older sigma lenses that work just fine with the newer 7DII. I dont go throwing them down hills or anything. So take those things you hear as useless information and if there is a big issue with compatibility most likely if they are much older that do not use the docks the manufacture usually will perform a firmware upgrade if they have it out to fix the issue with newer bodies.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,828 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 11:01 |  #3

It used to be that Sigma lenses needed to be rechipped, but I had not heard of that issue with Tamron. Now Sigma no longer rechips at their service center, but offers an optional docking station for the user to download firmware updates.

I still have Tamron lens from the film days and its construction is very solid. I have no complaint about construction of Tamron or Tokina lenses that I purchased back in the days of my Canon 20D or 30D.

Be aware that the focus direction and the zoom direction of third party products may or may not be same as your Canon brand lenses...there is no universal 'standard' among camera brands in this regard. So you may or may not be put off by lack of consistency in direction.

the Tamron convention for directionality vs. Canon:

• Canon: FL max right side of scale; infinity distance at right side of scale
  • Tarmon: FL max left side of scale; infinity distance at right side of scale

LENS DIRECTIONALITY: I just took inventory of different lenses which I have for different format cameras, and have color coded same-behavior lens brands:

Canon 17-->55, 0-->Infinity
Tamron 75<--28, Infinity<--0
Tokina 16<--11, 0-->Infinity
Bronica 45-->90, Infinity<--0
Olympus 35-->70, 0-->Infinity

and supplementing my lenses with those seen in lens tests...
Nikon 35<--16, Infinity<--0
Sony 200<--70, 0-->Infinity
Sigma 24-->70, 0-->Infinity
Pentax 70<--24, Infinity<--0

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MrWasabi
40 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 06, 2018 12:20 |  #4

I thought the Sigma and Tamron lenses were similar but with a lean on quality towards the Tamron?

Canon EOS 100D / EOS Rebel SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,319 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 06, 2018 13:42 |  #5

jdnan wrote in post #18578884 (external link)
The recent reviews on the new Tamron lenses are quite good and I've seen them finally being recommended as quality, lower cost alternatives to OEM lenses. I'm specifically interested in two: the Tamron 100-400 & the 150-600 G2 for Canon.

The biggest knock I've received about buying these lenses is that they may be good for a few years but they won't hold up and they won't work with a new camera body in 5-7 years from now. I'd be curious to get opinions on these claims & I'm wondering if the ability to update lenses with the tap-in console renders the second knock a moot point? All thoughts & opinions are welcome.

The 5-7 years thing is based on older lenses than the recent model lines. I've never actually heard of a Tamron needing to be rechipped, only Sigma. Yes, the newer ability for both to be updated via firmware through their respective docks takes a lot of the bite out of the claims regarding the older lenses. As an added bonus for Sigma, their newer lenses can have their mounts swapped for a nominal fee, so if you change brands down the road (Nikon, Sigma and *maybe* Sony E or A mount) you can keep the lens and just have them swap out the mount bayonet for you.

Either of the two lenses you have called out there ought to be fine lenses that you shouldn't worry about past performances on.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,720 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 06, 2018 13:59 |  #6

the old Tamrom 70-200 2.8VC actually needed a firmware update to work I think it was on the 5DIV but it was only in live view I think. It was some specific situation but didnt seem to make any difference with regular still shooting.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 06, 2018 16:06 |  #7

I've used Sigma, Rokinon, Tamron, and Tokina lenses on my Canon DSLRs. I've never had any problems with any of them. I've also used my different C/Y-mount lenses (requires adapter) on Canon DSLRs, again without issues.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,301 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 06, 2018 16:45 |  #8

Snydremark wrote in post #18579060 (external link)
The 5-7 years thing is based on older lenses than the recent model lines. I've never actually heard of a Tamron needing to be rechipped

Some do...see http://www.tamron.eu/s​ervice/service-news/ (external link)

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,720 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 06, 2018 17:03 |  #9

I mentioned that above but that was only AF in live view. So if you never used live view it wouldnt really be a huge issue.

My gear
Sony RX100 II

jdnan
THREAD ­ STARTER
386 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 06, 2018 17:55 |  #10

This is the type of compatibility issues that I think concern some professionals. It's not a big deal to me because I seldom use live view but I can see how this can be a real annoyance.

The way I look at it is that if the image quality is as good as the reviews claim, I can just buy a newer Tamron lens in 5-7 years if I need to & still spend less than a Canon lens.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,720 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 06, 2018 18:02 |  #11

I wouldnt worry much about it with the lenses that use the docks. Since they can be upgraded with new firmware at home..I will say the Tamron 70-200 G2 is a fantastic piece of glass

My gear
Sony RX100 II

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,718 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 06, 2018 18:32 |  #12

I have only used Canon glass except for a Lensbaby and feel that aside from some savings in cash there are no improvements in image quality.

I accept that some lenses have narrowed the gap but overall I have been happy.

I am sure there are exceptions, but as a zoom guy, they are hard to beat.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Brattina1221
36 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 06, 2018 20:25 |  #13

Pretty great insight as I have noticed more of Tamron running through the classifieds.

jdnan
THREAD ­ STARTER
386 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 06, 2018 22:54 as a reply to  @ Brattina1221's post |  #14

I guess the obvious follow up question is do those of you who have used both the Tamron & the Canon 1st gen 100-400 think the Tamron is superior? I have a local guy with a pristine 1st gen Canon asking $650.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,893 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 07, 2018 05:32 |  #15

jdnan wrote in post #18579444 (external link)
I guess the obvious follow up question is do those of you who have used both the Tamron & the Canon 1st gen 100-400 think the Tamron is superior? I have a local guy with a pristine 1st gen Canon asking $650.

The first gen Canon 100-400 was a step above even the best of the consumer tele-zooms of the time that it was launched, and even until three or four years ago. But it was long in service, and standards improved. It always had some failings, it never played well with either filters or teleconverters, and by current standards was quite soft at the long end. Still it was a good lens, or Canon wouldn't have been selling them in the numbers they did, for as long as they did. They only upgraded it after all when they actually had some competition.

The competition initially came in the form of the 150-600's from first Tamron, then Sigma. I never owned the Canon 100-400, but did rent it quite a few times, so have some experience with it. Optically it and the Tamron G1 were very close at 400mm although most seem to give the Canon the edge. The real disappointment for me with the G1, and the reason I don't own one was the VC.

There is no panning mode for the Tamron VC. The shorter lenses, the 70-200 and 70-300's have auto switching to a propper panning mode. I mostly need to shoot at shutter speeds less than 1/200, and often still need to add a 1.5× crop even at 600mm and panning. So for me optical image stabilisation is important in this situation. I rented the Tamron to try out, and the feedback vibration caused by leaving the VC switched on ruined a vast majority of the photos I took that day. It was really only the shots where the pan hadn't started yet, or shots at over 1/500s that worked. Tamron was unable to fix this, although they did add a firmware update that detected panning, and turned the VC off for you.

The other option became the Sigma 150-600's, I went with the C version. I could not afford the extra for the S, nor could I really mange the extra weight. IMO the Sigma is much better optically than either the Tamron 150-600 G1 or the Canon 100-400. It has very effective OS, with both mode 1 and 2, so allows panning. It also has the dock option for both firmware updates and to set custom MFA settings for multiple focal lengths, and focal distances, with a total of 16 values. There are some marginal optical quality gains with the Sigma S, but most of the improvements over the C are in build quality, with a full brass chassis and mount. AS I said I now shoot the Sigma 150-600 C.

The second gen Canon then came along and is better optically than any of the other new competing lenses, but of course has the price tag to go with that status. Of that batch of lenses I would rate them in order from best to worse: Canon 100-400 II, Sigma 150-600 S, Sigma C, Canon 100-400 I, Tamron 150-600 G1. Tamron's release of the G2 version fixed most of the things that made the G1 not so good. Better optically, VC with panning mode, and of course the dock option for upgrades, although I don't think you get the MFA and other lens setup adjustments you get from the Sigma dock. The Tamron seems to come closest to the Sigma S in performance and also price, but I haven't tried one.

With the experience gained from the 150-600 lenses both Tamron and Sigma have gone ahead and produced direct competitors for the Canon 100-400 I, and based on my experiences with the big brothers, combined with the reports that I have read, I would have to say that at the same price given the choice I would take one of the new Tamrons or Sigmas over a second hand Canon gen one any day. Personally I would want any second hand Canon 100-400 L I to be at least £/$100 cheaper than one of the new Sigmas or Tamrons before I would even think of looking at it.

Oh and to add to Wilt's post about the directionality of zoom and focus rings, I have, or have tried/used, Sigma lenses with rings that work in all four possible different directional combinations. Sometimes different versions of the same lens are even different. I looked at the 50-150 ƒ/2.8, it came in straight, HSM and OS HSM versions, and all three are different in ring directions.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

14,952 views & 23 likes for this thread
Question about 3rd party lenses (Tamron)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.