Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 80D and Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Chromatic Abberation

derekb007
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 04, 2018 21:10 |  #1

Picked up the 80D in November and also this lens. Both new. As you can see in the sample images serious issues with some kind of abberation(bright green) in photos. I can correct in lightroom with the proper profile but concerned that the lens is faulty. No issues with the new canon lenses I purchased with the camera. Have a 1000+ images from my Hawaii Vacation i just took and alljpegs show the problem. Luckily I shot all in Jpeg + Raw. Any suggestions appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,699 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 06, 2018 10:20 |  #2

Unfortunately a rather extreme example of the sort of CA you can get when using a superzoom and are dealing with very high contrast scenes. If I had bought the lens new and it showed that much CA I would be inclined to send it to the manufacturer under warranty, and ask them to do a propper check and alignment on the thing. This may actually be one of those situations where a repair, if possible, would be better than simple replacement. Since you would at least know the lens had been properly set up. Do you know anyone else with a Canon body that you can try the lens on, to see if it is a particular combination of lens/body, or just the lens?

If you bought the lens as a nearly new second hand item, then I guess you now know why they unloaded the lens on you. I would again suggest checking performance on another Canon body, just to confirm how bad it really is. If you bought second hand and have no real easy recourse to the seller, I would try talking to Tamron and see if they will help you out. If you ask nicely they might be willing to help you out, at least partially, with the cost of a repair. Many companies are willing to try to maintain good will.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,704 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by mwsilver.

Mar 06, 2018 12:09 |  #3

derekb007 wrote in post #18577777 (external link)
Picked up the 80D in November and also this lens. Both new. As you can see in the sample images serious issues with some kind of abberation(bright green) in photos. I can correct in lightroom with the proper profile but concerned that the lens is faulty. No issues with the new canon lenses I purchased with the camera. Have a 1000+ images from my Hawaii Vacation i just took and alljpegs show the problem. Luckily I shot all in Jpeg + Raw. Any suggestions appreciated.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by derekb007 in
./showthread.php?p=185​77777&i=i244404263
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​77777&i=i225987493

Do you see the purple fringing on all of your photographs or is it just on more of them than you were hoping it would be? While there's always the possibility this may be specific to your copy of the lens, a quick search of the internet turned up a number of comments about the large amount of chromatic aberration especially in high contrast shots, and in the 200mm to 300mm range. And if you're cropping the images of course, any chromatic aberration present will become much more apparent. Even review tests show chromatic aberration on this lens is a mixed bag. In some respects it's very good for a super zoom lens, but in some other respects it's quite high. As I said, it's possible that it's your copy, or it's possible what you're seeing is what is normal for this lens. If it is in fact normal for this lens, perhaps you've outgrown the general level of IQ that these lenses are capable of providing. Frankly, most people who use superzoom lenses regularly usually don't even seem to notice the chromatic aberration, barrel distortion, or lens softness inherent in most of them

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

russbecker
172 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 06, 2018 16:03 |  #4

I rented this lens as a one-size-fits-all travel lens paired with a 7D2 a couple of years ago. Going through my cataloged photos with this lens, I don't see any having this much CA at focal lengths above 200mm in high contrast situations; this suggests the CA the OP shows is more specific to his copy. I would definitely contact Tamron and see if there is some servicing they can do for the lens.

I have a Sigma 50-150 which is a serious CA producer at 150mm in these kinds of scenes.

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

sidknee
783 posts
Gallery: 451 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 06, 2018 17:15 |  #5

derekb007 wrote in post #18577777 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​77777&i=i244404263

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​77777&i=i225987493

It's something to do with the aberration correction in camera clashing with the lens, or something, just saw this in another thread

http://www.tamron.eu/s​ervice/service-news/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,710 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 80D and Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Chromatic Abberation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.