Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2018 (Monday) 09:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wife Camera: A7III vs A6500

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Talley.

Mar 05, 2018 09:44 |  #1

So while I'm going to try the A7R3 and while I continue to debate if that is the right camera for me vs the A73 my idea was to get the wife the A73 regardless. But while I'm telling her some of the features she disputes some of the missing items. Flash for one. Size/weight is another. She shoots the XT20. The fuji glass is great but it's face detect focusing system is not in par for us. I thought about the a6500 because she will still gain the IBIS/EyeAF but keep the size/weight she so desires.

I'm trying to tell her that with a FF A73 she wouldn't use the flash most of the time anyway and for those times she wants flash I'll have that TT350 for her anyway. One factor I really like about the a6500 is the ability to have the 18-105 PZ lens which would be PERFECT for her video needs. She does 50/50 stills/video. This is a big push for me to switch her from fuji to sony is the IBIS. She will video with the primes and it's just very bad handheld. She needs all the help she can get (lens OS + IBIS).

What do you guys think?

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
rantercsr
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by rantercsr.

Mar 05, 2018 10:16 |  #2

The 18-105 is a nice all around lens ..stabilized.. very nice for video.
Not at all sonys sharpest lens though.. but again good general porpuse.it made a very good match to the a6500 while I had it

I hated the ergos on the a6500.. and rear screen is difficult to use especially during video when under bright sun... but it is small and light if thats what your wife prefers .

.. you could still use the 18-105 on the a73 for videos in crop mode.

I've been using some crop lenses my a7r3 and works fine for video atleast .. stills too , but in the a73 how small would the files be ? And do you (your wife)care ?... I mean maybeend up with 12mp files . I guess it's fine if cropping isnt necessary

Thought its worth mentioning since you said your wife wants to stay fuji.. fujis new xh1 has fantastic ibis (in my opinion better than the 6500 and 7r3)..im very impressed with it.they say face detect has improved .. I haven't really gotten around to testing though.

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 07, 2018 00:28 |  #3

Somewhat alternative would be A7mk3 with kit lens.

While focal length is way different in photos, in video, it closes the gap somewhat, due to the fact that it does video in both FF and Crop mode.

The combo's are only 60g apart. Both cameras should be able to do video up to 12800 with pretty good IQ. Even @ f5.6, 1/30, 12800 is pretty low light.

The A6500 *may* have the advantage in video, but not completely sure.

A7mk3 has advantage on the wide end low light, while A6500 has more reach.

Kit lens does ok for 24mp.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,768 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by FarmerTed1971.

Mar 07, 2018 00:32 |  #4

Be honest... which one do you want for a backup? ;)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 07, 2018 07:42 |  #5

lol true.

Thanks for the input guys... gives me something to consider.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
258 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Mar 07, 2018 09:22 |  #6

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18579478 (external link)
Be honest... which one do you want for a backup? ߘ

A9  :p

The feature i like on the A6000 flash is it's +90 degree backwards tilt ability though that feature cost power -> higher ISO. I selvom use it but it can be nice for (bounce) fill or through disposable plastic plate diffused flash for macro

sponsored links

1,957 views & 4 likes for this thread
Wife Camera: A7III vs A6500
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.