Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Mar 2018 (Wednesday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color issue help or advice

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,528 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by kirkt.

Mar 07, 2018 12:48 |  #16

Does your video card support dual displays? What interface is each one using (DVI, HDMI, Display Port, etc.) - the cable/port may be affecting the output.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 07, 2018 14:01 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #17

Yes, it is a 1080GTX both of the monitors are display port.

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)
smugmug (external link)

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 07, 2018 19:10 |  #18

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18579596 (external link)
How/why do you expect the source files (online paint swatches) to be correct?

Big mistake.

One other thought on this, I did consider that I was not getting a true color from the website so I did open photoshop and put in the Hex# for the color, if everything was correct that should match the swatch correct? I did go ahead and ordered a xrite i1display pro today. I talked to the tech support and she said that the had a team work together with BenQ on the Master Palette software so even though it is compatible with Datacolor Xrite is preferred.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,700 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 07, 2018 19:24 |  #19

cigargreg wrote in post #18579957 (external link)
One other thought on this, I did consider that I was not getting a true color from the website so I did open photoshop and put in the Hex# for the color, if everything was correct that should match the swatch correct? I did go ahead and ordered a xrite i1display pro today. I talked to the tech support and she said that the had a team work together with BenQ on the Master Palette software so even though it is compatible with Datacolor Xrite is preferred.

The problem may well lie with the source files used to create these colour swatches that you are getting online. The simple answer may be that the files simply don't accurately portray the colours to start with. Depending on the actual colour involved you also may find that if the image is in sRGB that the paint colour is out of gamut, and will never be able to be an accurate match to the swatch.

The last time I looked at a printed paint colour chart even that had a big disclaimer that the swatch may not accurately represent the colour of the paint, due to the different processes involved. Really the only accurate way to know what colour you are going to get, once the paint has been used, is to have a sample of the actual paint on some similar surface. Anything less and all bets are off.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,346 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2018 19:29 |  #20

I'm not giving any credit, or credence, to some unknown corporate chain of command deciding what hex number should represent a paint color.

Get a bunch of execs looking at the latest version of the high dollar website someone was lucky enough to sell them, and who knows where they end up.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,079 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 10, 2018 09:58 |  #21

I had a spyder that wreaked havoc on my NEC and did not play nice on my iMac. I got the dedicated NEC unit called Spectravision that made by XRite for NEC. Later I got an XRite i1 Display Pro for my iMac. Works great.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 10, 2018 16:06 |  #22

The data color was the issues, profile is completely different. It was way faster to perform, the data color took close to an hour and 1displaypro took about 15 minutes.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

1,542 views & 3 likes for this thread
Color issue help or advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.