Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 06 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 11:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Returning to Photography: I would like to upgrade my 40D - Suggestions?

Loxley
263 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited 9 months ago by Loxley. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 11:17 |  #1

Hello POTN!

It's been a long time since I've visited here but I'm excited at the thought of being a part of the community again. After a bout of financial issues and depression which forced me to sell all my gear (except my 40D which no one wanted because of a small issue with the shutter button), things are looking up and I'm ready to jump back in!

I've always been a bit frugal with camera gear and never minded older/used equipment. Before I sold my gear I owned an original 5D and the 40D. A Canon 35/2 non-is was pretty much permanently attached to the 5D and a 400/5.6 to the 40D (a lot of times with a 1.4x). I still believe the 5D and 40D are gems and produce beautiful images, but I'm looking now to move out of the stone age and take advantage of the newer sensors etc.

I'm going to try to make this as short as possible while providing as much details about my needs/wants. I see a lot of "which camera? X, Y or Z" threads and then a bunch of follow-up questions from the members so I'll try to cover all of that.

Budget:
~$1,000

Brand:
Canon please

New/Used/Refurb?
Prefer New but open to low mileage Used/Refurb

What I'll be doing with it:
Mostly birds, backyard wildlife, zoos, motorsports, adventure sports and shooting competitions. Some nature/trail. 95% outdoors and natural light. 5% in-door lower-light family stuff (my parents house is very dimly lit with a bunch of lamps and that's where all out family events are held). I'll probably get a second FF body and fast prime for the family stuff so this isn't holding a lot of weight in my decision at the moment.

I will be pairing the new body with my new S150-600C and that will be on the body 99% of the time for now.

Main requirements:
Good low light performance
I'd say between 1600-3200 (maybe up to 6400) since I will be shooting mostly f8, and will be limited to f6.3 on the long end. Lots of overcast days here and the zoos around me are usually covered by tree tops etc. I managed okay with the 40D's max 1600 ISO but was really only satisfied with shots taken in great lighting conditions (800 ISO and below). I was able to capture some good shots at higher iso/poor lighting, but they were often too "muddy" or soft for me to be satisfied. Since I will have IS now, I should be able to get away with a little more, but would still like the performance to be there if I need it.

Better than average AF system
I got pretty good at using the 40D's dated AF system but was missing a lot of BIF shots because of it. I don't need the best of the best, but something quick and accurate that's able to track well and gives me the option to select different points on the fly. I don't really need the super fancy features they have now - I'm a simple man. I'm sure anything will be better than what I had!

That little joy stick thing on the back of the body to select AF points
I really liked this on the 40D. I've seen a lot of the newer bodies that don't have it. I'm sure I could live without it, but would really prefer it.

APS-C/FF?

APS-C unless there is a FF option with an AF system that meets my needs.

Video?
Not necessary but a plus - will probably never use it if I had it

GPS/WiFi?
Preferred but not necessary - okay with add-on compatibility

Weather sealing?
Preferred but not necessary

Dual slots?
Would be cool but I don't think I really need it.

Articulating screen?
Not necessary - don't care

Weight/size preference?

I don't care how heavy/big it is. I'm going to have a grip on it 100% of the time anyway if it's not a full size to begin with. I prefer a heavier/bigger body over a lighter/smaller body because I have big hands and the lighter ones tend to feel cheap and make me nervous about damage.

MFA?
I hope so

Other fancy features?
I really don't care about having a million fancy features. If I can have a little bit of customization with the AF system and controls, that's all I really need.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read. I look forward to shooting my new S150-600C on the 40D this weekend while I finalize my decision on a new body!

Patrick
7D II | S150-600 C | C24 STM | Flashpoint R2 TTL | Benro COM48C + GH2

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,945 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 11:24 |  #2

The nnD lost the joystick as of the 60D, and now you have to buy the 7Dnn or the 5Dnn oir 1Dn to retain joyustick control. Even the 6Dn is missing it.

The 7DII should satisfy you and be in your price range. I went from 40D to 7DII myself, as I was put off by the defeatured nnD which is no longer 'prosumer' in Canon's design.

Absolutely content with AF of 7DII...just his past weekend I shot a lacrosse game and it has not failed me in its speed, ability to track, etc.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Loxley
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 06, 2018 12:29 |  #3

Thanks Wilt! The 7D II is at the top of the list followed by the 80D and 1D IV. It looks like I can find the 7D II new for around $900-$950.

Wilt wrote in post #18578935 (external link)
The nnD lost the joystick as of the 60D, and now you have to buy the 7Dnn or the 5Dnn oir 1Dn to retain joyustick control. Even the 6Dn is missing it.

The 7DII should satisfy you and be in your price range. I went from 40D to 7DII myself, as I was put off by the defeatured nnD which is no longer 'prosumer' in Canon's design.

Absolutely content with AF of 7DII...just his past weekend I shot a lacrosse game and it has not failed me in its speed, ability to track, etc.

Patrick

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,339 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 06, 2018 16:14 |  #4

It is outdated thinking. :) DoF is achievable without f8, but with crop factor of the sensor. Or by focal length if for the opposite.
ISO 3200 is not low light ISO anymore.
And grips are available for many cameras if you need it to be balanced and big.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

RhodyPhotos
825 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 06, 2018 16:23 |  #5

Loxley wrote in post #18578994 (external link)
Thanks Wilt! The 7D II is at the top of the list followed by the 80D and 1D IV. It looks like I can find the 7D II new for around $900-$950.

The 7D2 might cost a bit more than that new, but 900-950 is definitely in the ballpark for a low mileage used one. Not sure when the 7D3 is coming out, but that might drop down the prices for the 7D2.

CC always welcome.

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Mar 08, 2018 10:10 |  #6

I upgraded from my 40D to a 7D Mk 1, and I've been very happy with it. It is a great camera for shooting birds and action with the autofocus tracking. Controls are very similar to the old 40D, and I do love the joystick. The 7D Mk II is supposed to be a vastly improved camera over the 7D Mk I. You would be happy with the 7D Mark II.

I have a friend who was also shooting with the 40D as his first camera, and upgraded to the 5D Mk IV. Of course, that is a $3,000 camera. :lol:

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,965 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by johnf3f.

Mar 08, 2018 17:02 |  #7

Another vote for the 7D2, it is a significant improvement over the Mk1 and a huge improvement over the 40D.

The extra speed, much better and more flexible AF will make you smile. The newer sensor etc doesn't do any harm either!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,726 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2002

Mar 08, 2018 17:21 |  #8

80d or 7d2, and I suggest the former just to give you flexibility to get glass.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Loxley
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 08, 2018 17:48 |  #9

Thanks for all of your input everyone!

I came across a great deal on a NIB 7D II priced at $889 and couldn't pass it up!

Should arrive saturday. Can't wait to shoot this weekend!

Patrick

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,945 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2018 18:42 |  #10

Loxley wrote in post #18580631 (external link)
Thanks for all of your input everyone!

I came across a great deal on a NIB 7D II priced at $889 and couldn't pass it up!

Should arrive saturday. Can't wait to shoot this weekend!

Where, I want another one!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Loxley
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 08, 2018 20:01 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #11

There was a seller on eBay with 2 for $889 and then more for $1,050. The 2 sold extremely fast as you would imagine. After I was done submitting my payment it said no more in stock! Not sure why so cheap, I guess I'll find out Saturday if it is too good to be true.

Patrick

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,995 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 12, 2018 22:43 |  #12

I have a 7D and a 7DII... IMO, the 7D2 is lots more camera. I like being able to auto focus at f/8 meaning that I can use my 100-400,, f/4.6-5.6L IS II alonh with a 1.4x TC. Of course, you can also do that with the 80D....

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,405 posts
Gallery: 294 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 12, 2018 22:50 |  #13

Loxley wrote in post #18580709 (external link)
There was a seller on eBay with 2 for $889 and then more for $1,050. The 2 sold extremely fast as you would imagine. After I was done submitting my payment it said no more in stock! Not sure why so cheap, I guess I'll find out Saturday if it is too good to be true.

Was it too good to be true?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,042 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 13, 2018 06:09 |  #14

Welcome back! Hope the camera purchase works out and you get to enjoy your photography again. Best wishes.

| New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Loxley
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 13, 2018 09:17 |  #15

Archibald wrote in post #18584179 (external link)
Was it too good to be true?

Nope! Brand new in the box with full warranty.

What a steal.

Patrick

sponsored links

1,497 views & 6 likes for this thread
Returning to Photography: I would like to upgrade my 40D - Suggestions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.