Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 11 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 04:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
6,706 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 23, 2018 17:22 |  #361

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/MjjCZNL.jpg

sponsored links
KT29
Goldmember
2,546 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 23, 2018 19:14 |  #362

A little whitetail from a couple of days ago. These little guys always look happy.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Terry

KT29
Goldmember
2,546 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 02, 2018 18:40 |  #363

Another whitetail doe from this long winter.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO

Terry

mkkaczy
313 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 04, 2018 14:46 |  #364

IMAGE: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/QyhKTi.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://imageshack.com​/i/poQyhKTij  (external link)

http://500px.com/mkkac​zy (external link)

Lame-Duck
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 04, 2018 17:45 |  #365

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5683/22899054361_89323cc3fb_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ATvD​56  (external link)

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,888 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2018 18:32 |  #366

Walked out of the river right towards me

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Sounds
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Mar 06, 2018 15:22 |  #367

I have no idea how to judge what is best but here is a fairly recent young,probably yearling Roe,from blighty one of our true native's. He caught me off guard by coming to see the tree, I was trying to be,inside min focus distance long end less than 8M.Gutted one doesn't get that type of chance often,but hey even though the light went seconds before this,at least I got something,:-)

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4598/38367681085_1203bacf06_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21sq​oSR  (external link) _70F4296 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

stu

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,868 posts
Gallery: 1971 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 06, 2018 16:03 as a reply to  @ Sounds's post |  #368

Making the best of the worst is wildlife shooting... Great stuff

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Sounds
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Mar 07, 2018 15:20 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #369

You good sir, have inspired me longer and in greater ways than you will ever know !!
cheers Jeff ,he he mate he did me completely, I didn't think I made that good a tree,but maybe I do LMAO:lol: So close Jeff I guess some things are just for the individual,a shame when one is trying to make an image,but an encounter to drive one forwards wanting more

thank you

stu

Pondrader
13,868 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2018 19:22 |  #370

Thanks Stu, I'm lucky enough to have deer that think I'm cool. Makes me look good.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 07, 2018 22:30 |  #371

Sounds wrote in post #18579145 (external link)
. . . but hey even though the light went seconds before this,at least I got something,:-)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21sq​oSR  (external link) _70F4296 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

stu

I actually think it's really good light - nice and soft and even throughout the frame. . I love to shoot in that kind of light.

I also really like the fact that you were able to put the sky behind him; that's always a nice compositional choice to be able to make.

Great job!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Sounds
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Mar 08, 2018 13:49 |  #372

Jeff you are just too cool,but no amount of kiddery will make me believe a deer will make you look good,what you do is a craft mate learnt by hours spent in the field watching and observing....I'm not lying am I;-)a I might say the same about my hares though:lol:

Love the raised head jeff,sniff sniff oh it's jeff he's cool lol and frankly I'd kill for a chance in snow !!

Tom,I do hope you see this,i'm not very good with all this PC malarky,I spent an hour on a multii quote else where,last night, which went very very wrong,so I'm kinda hoping I'll get by here. Tom as with Jeff huge admiration and much you have taught me. I've read so many of your words mate ,thank you.

Buddy the light, let me be more specific for you because I understand your comment and mine is somewhat vague ,i'm right on the last rays of sun for the day,when a big ol' black cloud rolls in and nails all those golden rays,leaving me with the above. These clouds that clobber a sunset happen so oft here we have nicknamed them the cloud of death,I know a bit extreme but I am slightly mad(frankly I think most of us are:-) ) So although yes it is lovely soft marginal light,it's not quite that special dappled magical orangy stuff dancing on my subject I had just seconds earlier . This left me scrabbling a bit on techs ,but I'm trilled with the experience and how close he came.

Our Roe are tricky subjects,but true natives here,we also have red,very simiialr to your elk,is it wapiti is that correct? as our other native. With our history on this tiny isle we then have fallow, bought in probably by the normans eons back, and more recently sikka,chinese water deer and reeves muntjac have come here.

I also stalk fallow and muntjac as local populations exist, along with the roe,as wild subjects. We can access parkland deer here,which are not really the same for me,not being really wild but I occassionally practice with a small local red herd very captive.

i'll see if I can find some of what I stalk to share...............

first up a roe doe in the moult,it's amazing to see how this deer changes from the winter coat above a sort of grey to the vibrant red orange of summer

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4181/34447168672_dd3663b938_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UtYK​8f  (external link) _70F1202 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

This is a fallow fawn she's a tiny thing,I tripped over her and mum on a footpath while hoping to bag a hare,mum went one way baby straight at me,I left the spot immediately after firing of a few frames,it bothered me I'd split them-? .

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://farm9.staticfl​ickr.com …80497523_aa0143​ce95_o.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.
_70F6149 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

Here's a group of female fallow we call then does

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5770/30275475272_b0bb832153_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/N8kJ​1Y  (external link) _70F8327 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

and a buck,not a stag, deer nomenclature here is quite specific in some cases,I'm no expert at all !! wonderful palamate antlers on fallow bucks !!

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4510/37965946252_1efdc1b953_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZQVp​7d  (external link) _70F2950 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

A muntjac buck ( taken from a baited hide not really what I do ,mind this one was a good while back). Funny little beer barrel deer very short on leg but thick set

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1609/25821704712_b8ef55f7c3_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FkLZ​co  (external link) F70F8905 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

tom please forgive waaaay to many hours being worked I can't find you a doe I know I have them. But this gives some idea of my options deer wise

Roe Capreoulus capreolus fallow : Dama dama...Muntjac Muntiacus reevsi

Tom we have no apex predators here,everything we had is gone, so my fallow population is heavily culled making them incredibly tricky to get close too. I have tried so hard to get the fallow rut,but so far failed maybe next year. It is a truly spectacular event,when these lads fight I have seen them throw one another up into the air. Buddy I hope this is ok,I felt you might find this interesting I suspect you spend a few hours here and there with deer and as already said although my time is serevely compressed I wanted to try and give a bit back to you guys by way of thanks

take care both and cheers,I really have learnt soo sooooooo much from you two guys

stu

ps it appears my fallow fawn is too large maybe you can click a link I sadly have so little time I can't resize at this moment for you,my humble apologies

Pondrader
13,868 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 08, 2018 15:35 |  #373

[QUOTE=Sounds;18580508​]Jeff you are just too cool,but no amount of kiddery will make me believe a deer will make you look good,what you do is a craft mate learnt by hours spent in the field watching and observing....I'm not lying am I;-)a I might say the same about my hares though:lol:

Love the raised head jeff,sniff sniff oh it's jeff he's cool lol and frankly I'd kill for a chance in snow !!

lol... I do hear you Stu.. A little talent helps here and there. But ya.. Mostly they just love me.. lol

The hardest part for me right now is using a broken front wheel. Never know if I'm going to get 2 or 3 click's or none at all... and that makes it hard to change shutter speeds on the fly.

So I just rely on my charm.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2018 14:27 |  #374

Sounds wrote in post #18580508 (external link)
Tom, I do hope you see this, I'm not very good with all this PC malarky, I spent an hour on a multi quote elsewhere last night, which went very very wrong, so I'm kinda hoping I'll get by here. Tom as with Jeff huge admiration and much you have taught me. I've read so many of your words mate, thank you.

Thanks so much, Stu.

Buddy the light, let me be more specific for you because I understand your comment and mine is somewhat vague. I'm right on the last rays of sun for the day, when a big ol' black cloud rolls in and nails all those golden rays, leaving me with the above. These clouds that clobber a sunset happen so oft here we have nicknamed them the cloud of death, I know a bit extreme but I am slightly mad (frankly I think most of us are:-) ) So although yes it is lovely soft marginal light, it's not quite that special dappled magical orangey stuff dancing on my subject I had just seconds earlier. This left me scrabbling a bit on techs, but I'm trilled with the experience and how close he came.

Now I understand what you meant. . Yeah, when you have wonderful sunlight on subjects and then the sun disappears it is so disappointing ...... it often makes me not feel like shooting anymore (although that would clearly be a mistake and I'd regret it later)

Our Roe are tricky subjects, but true natives here. We also have red, very similar to your elk as our other native. Is it wapiti? Is that correct?

Yes, Wapiti are Elk. . Although I believe that Red Deer can eventually grow much larger, more complex antlers than our Elk, if they are permitted to love long enough.

I would like to go to New Zealand someday to photograph Red Deer in the rut, but I have not yet found a place that seems like it would give me the kinds of opportunities I am looking for.

With our history on this tiny isle we then have fallow, bought in probably by the normans eons back, and more recently sikka,chinese water deer and reeves muntjac have come here.

Wow! . That is a lot of different species to keep up with! . Do they all rut pretty much at the same time of year? . Or is it spread out a lot?

Our Elk rut in September, and the Whitetail and Mule Deer rut in November. . It helps that the Elk are so much earlier, but if one wants to specialize in both Whitetail and Mule Deer, that is a problem because they rut simultaneously, and you pretty much have to focus on one or the other. . They co-exist in many of the same places, but the best places to photograph Whitetails are not the same places where you can best photograph Muleys.

First up a roe doe in the moult. It's amazing to see how this deer changes from the winter coat above a sort of grey to the vibrant red orange of summer

Our Whitetail do the same thing, with an extreme difference between their summer coats and winter coats. . Muleys do also, but not to quite the same extent, as their summer coats aren't quite as red as the Whitetail's summer coats.

And a buck, not a stag. Deer nomenclature here is quite specific in some cases.

So then, what is the difference between a buck and a stag?

And also, what about the term, "hart"? . I know that is used in some parts of the world to refer to a male deer. . Do they use that term where you live?

Buddy I hope this is ok. I felt you might find this interesting. I suspect you spend a few hours here and there with deer and as already said although my time is severely compressed I wanted to try and give a bit back to you guys by way of thanks.

Of course it is okay!

I love talking about deer and learning about them and it is cool to learn about deer in other parts of the world.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Sounds
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Mar 14, 2018 15:53 |  #375

Jeff ,Tom, Tom Jeff:-) cheers on the warm replies both, second image jeff,cheers for the details Tom

I'll come back shortly,so damn busy but do bare with me, it might be a few days:oops: My work load is not good. but I want expensive toys,so ya know, head down,earn 'em:-) and of course use them. i'll be looking for some humbugs as well,
(baby wild/well feral??? ) boar kids,been trying to a few years not there yet!! Bit early but hey

To the op i'll post more pics too forgive me waffling,I'm just fascinated by deer, as well as the world really,leastways the natural one,so it's deeply interesting talking about the deer across the pond as well as the images of said beasties

speak soon, both take care

PS Jeff frankly my wheels came off a long time ago:rolleyes:,but I do hope you can fix the prob soon mate !! Nailing the exact exp I want is hard enough when every thing is working,I don't envy you,hope it works out soon

PPS some stunning images above !!

sponsored links

88,490 views & 1,411 likes for this thread
Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.