Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 08 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 06:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gitzo Systematic 3542XLS centre pad extension solution needed.

777guru
97 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 08, 2018 06:34 |  #1

Hello all, this is quite a specific and unusual question, I am hoping maybe someone already came across this issue and solved it already!?

I am using a Gitzo 3542XLS. Epic tripod, years of damn good service. I have started using a Manfrotto Geared Head Pro on top of the Gitzo tripod.

The problem is that the lower adjust handles are lower than the point where the head screws on to the the tripod, because of the wide top to this particular tripod, the adjust handles hit the tripod and it stops the panning motion.

A small gripe I know but I am wondering if anyone knows of a super sturdy head extension which could raise the head by a few inches?

You attention and advice is thanked and appreciated in advance.

777guru.

sponsored links
SailingAway
319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by SailingAway.

Mar 08, 2018 10:24 |  #2

I’ve faced similar problems with controls for this or that running into the tripod.

So far I’ve been happy with this:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …0_RB_100_Riser_​Block.html (external link)

It seems to me your tripod top plate must be around 3.75” diameter or so? (I’m not in the office at the moment). This riser is only 2” in diameter, it would be nice to find one of larger diameter. But, as with all things Wimberley, it’s very sturdy, cleanly executed, and I’ve never had a stability problem with it.

The specs don’t include the height, from memory I’d say about 1” or maybe 1-1/8”. Would that get your head high enough?

***edit***
Poking around, I just found this:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …r235_3_5_riser_​block.html (external link)

3.5” high, but also a bit small in diameter. I don’t think this was available when I purchased the Wimberley a few years ago.

If you do find something of similar design do post back!

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 08, 2018 17:24 |  #3

I had the same issue with my Manfrotto 410 geared head on my Gitzo 3530 LS and now 4542LS - they both have the same size top plate as your Gitzo tripod.

I ended up with two solutions. The expensive solution was to pick up a used (looked new to me) g1318 center column which was £35 from FleaBay.

The cheaper solution was to pick up an old Top Plate from FleaBay (£13) and put a longer 3/8 bolt through it. Note this requires a lot of brute force and a bit of ignorance helps too! I didn't realize that the thread is pinned to stop you doing this = OOPS! Still a nice BIG wrench got it sorted;-)a I actually made this to solve a problem with a different head but found that, if I dropped a 10mm+ spacer on top, the knobs on my 410 cleared the top plate and there was still plenty of thread left to engage the head.

That Wimberley RB-100 Riser Block that Sailing Away mentions looks like a great solution.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2018 22:35 |  #4

Something like this?

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …2e9QGzEAQYASABE​gILB_D_BwE (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

777guru
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 09, 2018 02:45 |  #5

Absolutely perfect, thanks guys very much, you absolutely nailed it!

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,866 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 14, 2018 02:39 |  #6

Now you tell me!
I made this on my drill press (bush lathe)

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4772/40801511801_d94d77352c_o.jpg

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,761 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 14, 2018 08:56 |  #7

Choderboy wrote in post #18585163 (external link)
Now you tell me!
QUOTED IMAGE

wow, that is nice looking! Looks better than the store bought options!

Found this thread since it was shown as the most recent on front page...I have the same issue with my RRS tripod and RRS head...the big knob sometimes causes a pinch point with the tripod top plate...some good solutions in here...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

777guru
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 14, 2018 10:08 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #8

That is REALLY beautiful!! Are you taking orders!?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 17, 2018 18:36 |  #9

Choderboy wrote in post #18585163 (external link)
Now you tell me!
QUOTED IMAGE

777guru wrote in post #18585400 (external link)

As nice as Choder Boy's spacer is, I don't think it would be of any use to you, because you ask for something that will raise the head by a few inches, which is many times more than the one inch of additional clearance that his spacer appears to provide.

777guru wrote in post #18580222 (external link)
I am wondering if anyone knows of a super sturdy head extension which could raise the head by a few inches?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,866 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 18, 2018 05:03 |  #10

777guru wrote in post #18585400 (external link)

Thanks. I have been meaning to get around to making another one and sending it to the anodizers.
Quite a bit of work though, I start with a piece of square plate.
Hacksaw the corners off. Then use cordless drill and a belt sander to get it roughly round and tapered.
Then finish off on the drill press. Full days work.

Dave
Image editing OK

SailingAway
319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by SailingAway.

Mar 18, 2018 09:59 |  #11

Getting the rough shape looks to be the big task.

With skills like that you deserve a metal lathe! Of course that’s the start of a slippery slope, that might mean no time for photos...

BTW, that’s a very sweet and subtle curve! Very nice profile - it doesn’t just happen that way.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,866 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 18, 2018 10:47 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18588107 (external link)

As nice as Choder Boy's spacer is, I don't think it would be of any use to you, because you ask for something that will raise the head by a few inches, which is many times more than the one inch of additional clearance that his spacer appears to provide.

Spot on. 25mm thick plate.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,866 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 18, 2018 10:53 |  #13

SailingAway wrote in post #18588457 (external link)

With skills like that you deserve a metal lathe! Of course that’s the start of a slippery slope, that might mean no time for photos...

BTW, that’s a very sweet and subtle curve! Very nice profile - it doesn’t just happen that way.

The fun bit is when I put it in my cordless drill and then drop it, spinning, onto the belt sander.
I have toyed with the idea of a lathe, but as you say, slippery slope.

Dave
Image editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2018 11:11 |  #14

Choderboy wrote in post #18588350 (external link)
Quite a bit of work though, I start with a piece of square plate. . Hacksaw the corners off. . Then use cordless drill and a belt sander to get it roughly round and tapered. . Then finish off on the drill press. . Full days work.

SailingAway wrote in post #18588457 (external link)

Would it help to put a metal-cutting blade on a bandsaw, and cut out the round shape that way?

That may save a lot of the cordless drill / belt sander time.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,866 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 18, 2018 11:17 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #15

I don't have a bandsaw.
Don't really have room for one.
Workbench, drill press and a belt/disc sander in a corner of my garage.

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

819 views & 6 likes for this thread
Gitzo Systematic 3542XLS centre pad extension solution needed.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.