Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advertisers want images

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,602 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 08, 2018 11:16 |  #1

I am contracted to my local semi-pro hockey team to shoot games, extra events and team photos. It doesn't pay huge money but it's in line with what I made shooting AHL games...

One of the advertisers (sponsor with ads on the dashers) just reached out to see if I had any images of the players in front of his advertising...

While I DO have some, I'm curious what the appropriate price might be to charge for something like that...

I own the rights to all the images I create and the team has license to use them up to the beginning of next season, at which time, they (hopefully) will start using next seasons photos that I make...

AHL paid $40 per game, this team pays me $25 plus other considerations...

Any idea on what to ask for images? I know what I usually charge for certain sized prints but I don't yet know if they're looking for prints or digital files...

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,426 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 08, 2018 11:44 |  #2

Are the players OK with appearing on this company's marketing pieces?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by tcphoto1.

Mar 08, 2018 14:16 |  #3

How will they use the images? What is the Media Buy? One insertion or more? What does the Model Release say that the players sign look like? Your question is rather general. The book, Pricing Photography by Michal Heron and David MacTavish would be a smart purchase for all photographers.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2018 18:40 |  #4

tcphoto hit nail on the head...price is dependent upon how it is used, how much circulation of copies, how many times the same image is used in future ads, etc.

Key additional point is that any recognizable faces MUST MUST MUST have signed model releases by the Adult Parent/guardian of any Minors in the photo, for the photo to be used commercially,

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 08, 2018 20:07 |  #5

As others have already said, the main concern here is ensuring that you are cleared of all liability by having proper model releases on file for every player pictured. . If you cannot secure these releases, then licensing the images to the advertiser could come at a risk of legal action against you.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,162 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2018 14:45 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18580719 (external link)
As others have already said, the main concern here is ensuring that you are cleared of all liability by having proper model releases on file for every player pictured. If you cannot secure these releases, then licensing the images to the advertiser could come at a risk of legal action against you.

A slight variation of this excellent advice would be giving permission with the clearly stated provision that the advertiser cannot use without full legal permission of all involved. This permission may be required from more than the models. The team may, for example, want to monetize their logo and may, or may not, be happy to give the advertiser their permission.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 23, 2018 16:18 |  #7

As others have mentioned, before you talk pricing, you should make sure you have your ducks in a row as far as paperwork / legality to use the photo.

If your photos are game shots (or from warmups, practices, or some other scenario), and the team logos are clearly visible, you may need some sort of permission from the league to use those photos in advertising since most logs are trademarked. Also, if they're from a game and your photo pass is from the league, then you may want to check the fine print on any paperwork you signed to get that credential. There may be some non-commercial use guidelines in there.

As far as the model release, the players may have some sort of agreement in the contract that the team (and the sponsors of the team and the league) are allowed to use their likeness for commercial use, which may shift the responsibility of who needs to grant the 'model release' from the player to the team.

Assuming you get all of that, the next thing you need to figure out is what the client is using the image for. A single photo in the team's yearly program that has 50,000 copies printed is going to be much cheaper than having the same image used on a billboard or in multiple advertisements across multiple mediums (client's website / social media, digital ads, print ads in multiple titles, etc). There are several online calculators that can help you with pricing once you get an estimate of the number of eyeballs that will be seeing the image. Hint: I would expect the number to start at about 10x what the team pays you per game, and possibly hit 100x what the team pays you. Commercial usage is no joke!

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,602 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 23, 2018 17:21 |  #8

JacobPhoto wrote in post #18612217 (external link)
As others have mentioned, before you talk pricing, you should make sure you have your ducks in a row as far as paperwork / legality to use the photo.

If your photos are game shots (or from warmups, practices, or some other scenario), and the team logos are clearly visible, you may need some sort of permission from the league to use those photos in advertising since most logs are trademarked. Also, if they're from a game and your photo pass is from the league, then you may want to check the fine print on any paperwork you signed to get that credential. There may be some non-commercial use guidelines in there.

As far as the model release, the players may have some sort of agreement in the contract that the team (and the sponsors of the team and the league) are allowed to use their likeness for commercial use, which may shift the responsibility of who needs to grant the 'model release' from the player to the team.

Assuming you get all of that, the next thing you need to figure out is what the client is using the image for. A single photo in the team's yearly program that has 50,000 copies printed is going to be much cheaper than having the same image used on a billboard or in multiple advertisements across multiple mediums (client's website / social media, digital ads, print ads in multiple titles, etc). There are several online calculators that can help you with pricing once you get an estimate of the number of eyeballs that will be seeing the image. Hint: I would expect the number to start at about 10x what the team pays you per game, and possibly hit 100x what the team pays you. Commercial usage is no joke!

so, heres the scoop...

in my contract i granted the team license of the images i provide to them, until 31 December 18. that allows them to use them for their advertising. it is a VERY small market here and i have not seen any advertising outside of game promotional posters at the arena. im not sure anyone in the league is doing much advertising as far as billboards, vehicle wraps or the like. i honestly dont expect them to plaster the city or county with advertising. there really isnt much money in the entire league (biggest market team avg 3,000 attendance. one team had a weekend series with them. their bus was broken down so they were given the use of ANOTHER TEAM's bus so they could make the weekend. the team that loaned the bus had to cancel THEIR road games for the weekend because the average attendance for that series would only be about 900 and less revenue than the "big crowd"...

i own the rights to the images in perpetuity so im good there. as far as "model" releases, im sure the players have something in their contracts (but i will check) that allows the use of their image. i based my fees on the lower level of league from the AHL that pays (well ONE TEAM i shot for pays) $40 per game. i get $25 per game plus other considerations (parking, tickets, etc)...

thanks for the input! i have more checking to do i see...

sponsored links

874 views & 3 likes for this thread
Advertisers want images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.