Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jun 2017 (Monday) 23:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thoughts on Arsenal, Intelligent Camera Assistant (KickStarter)

WebDevGuy
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by WebDevGuy. (3 edits in all)

Jun 05, 2017 23:32 |  #1

Just curious what your thoughts are on this product?

https://www.kickstarte​r.com …a-assistant-0?ref=popular (external link)

From dpreview (external link)...

Photographers are given a live preview of the scene through the mobile app, as well as manual control over aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. You can focus by tapping on your phone's touchscreen as well, or tap multiple points and Arsenal will ensure they're all focused. Arsenal also supports advanced camera functions, like automated photo stacking for HDR images, focus stacking, long exposures without the need for ND filters, and time lapse creation. The resulting Raw files are saved directly to the camera.

Interesting concept, especially for beginning photographers.

7D Mark ii, T1i/500D, 17-55 2.8, 100-400L mk II - More Gear
flickr (external link)
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickr (external link)
5 out of 4 people can't do fractions.

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,826 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 06, 2017 01:16 |  #2

WebDevGuy wrote in post #18372036 (external link)
Just curious what your thoughts are on this product?

https://www.kickstarte​r.com …a-assistant-0?ref=popular (external link)

Being able to use your smartphone to take the shot and zoom in to preview the pic, etc... might be a useful feature, even for advanced photographers. Interesting concept nonetheless.

being able to use your smartphone to take a shot and review is available on anything with wifi...it seems like an improved auto mode

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,612 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 06, 2017 01:39 |  #3

"Set camera controls from your smart phone!" Whaaa??? I've never found setting camera controls from my CAMERA all that challenging. Seems pointless to me. The only thing it allows me to do is something I can just as (more) easily do without it. Rube Goldberg at its finest.

Tom

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,700 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 06, 2017 05:17 |  #4

Looks to me like they have repackaged the TPLink Wifi device, and added their own remote control software. Not the first time that this has been done. I think it's the Camlink that has already done this, it is only the software that seems "different". For the cheapskate who wants the wifi wireless remote on the cheap, then just get the TPLink device, do the firmware update, and use the control software of your choice.

I can see plenty of reasons to have a fully functional wireless remote control system that incorporates streaming the LV feed. Much easier if you need to place a camera in a relatively remote inaccessible location, then physically accessing the camera to adjust the settings. What I'm really not sure about is the AI aspect of it. Those are the skills a photographer should be developing, how to use their tools to the optimum effect to achieve the best result. Not just rely on an AI to do it for them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 07, 2017 14:14 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18372144 (external link)
What I'm really not sure about is the AI aspect of it. Those are the skills a photographer should be developing, how to use their tools to the optimum effect to achieve the best result. Not just rely on an AI to do it for them.

Alan

Say you wanted to set up a half dozen cameras around an event/show location, with changing light conditions, and manually trip them from a remote location.

How would you suggest you manually adjust your settings on a camera on the fly to address something like a spot light moving back and forth across the scene and still be able to get multiple angles (which may have different lighting) captured at the touch of a single button?

Just because a tool isn't always the best for every task does not make it a useless tool. Not much use for a chainsaw in a kitchen, but I would sure hate to try taking down an old oak tree with my butcher's knife.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

philodelphi
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 07, 2017 14:17 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #6

Dag nabit!

Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300 DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,056 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 08, 2017 07:46 |  #7

I wish the developer, and all entrepreneurs, the best of luck.

However, as stated in the OP is does seem best suited for beginning photographers... i.e., simplistic.

It helps people conquer such demons as:

subject motion (shorten the shutter speed)
high depth of field (increase aperture)
waves (water motion - lengthen shutter)
wind shake (shorten shutter)

and so forth.

Demons? Hard? Not really. Stuff that even a slightly experienced photog does automatically and doesn't even have to think about. So, yea - not for experienced photogs but I'm sure there is a niche. Just not for me.

Website (external link) |

Nascar ­ Nut
382 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 07, 2018 10:01 |  #8

So has anybody ordered one of these things yet? Just wondering what your thoughts are. Maybe it hasn't shipped any yet. I thought I read somewhere it would ship first quarter of this year.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,283 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined May 2002

Mar 07, 2018 10:30 |  #9

Why not just get a TPLink MR3040, flash the custom rom onto it (very easy) and just use DSLRController app?

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,346 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2018 10:43 |  #10

Nascar Nut wrote in post #18579674 (external link)
So has anybody ordered one of these things yet? Just wondering what your thoughts are. Maybe it hasn't shipped any yet. I thought I read somewhere it would ship first quarter of this year.

https://witharsenal.co​m/ (external link)

look at the pricing, it suggests an april ship date.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18579687 (external link)
Why not just get a TPLink MR3040, flash the custom rom onto it (very easy) and just use DSLRController app?

last time i looked at dslr controller (a while back) it was android only.

it also wasn't as full featured or with such a clean interface.

have those things changed?

The Arsenal, looks pretty slick, lots of features, and I suspect full support too. Doesn't seem like a beginner tool to me.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,283 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 07, 2018 14:36 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #11

I think there are other apps (like dslrdashboard) or ways to use the TPLink router to see photos and remote control it. In any case, $50 will get a pretty good Android tablet just to run this app. For less than $100, you could have the router and the app on a tablet (or Android phone even).

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,826 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 08, 2018 18:55 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18579692 (external link)
The Arsenal, looks pretty slick, lots of features, and I suspect full support too. Doesn't seem like a beginner tool to me.

i think it's being marketed directly towards beginners...the whole idea is that you let the app do all the work, and you just sit back and get great photos...the app is supposed to analyze the scene, and decide when to take the best photo...what settings to use, all kinds of b.s...people that have been taking photos for a while, probably know what settings to use for different shots, so what benefit would it be for someone that already knows the ins and outs of photography?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,284 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 08, 2018 21:48 |  #13

For some of us Arsenal in photography means Kiev.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Nascar ­ Nut
382 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 14, 2018 08:12 |  #14

Well when it comes out I will be watching for some reviews on it. I am not a beginner but not a pro either and I think this has some useful features.

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 14, 2018 10:07 |  #15

Since I can only rely on what is described on the website I'll take a shot.

First, I own both Camrangers and and generic TP-links running qDslrDashboard.

The Arsenal is coming in at the same price point as the Camranger. Since the Arsenal runs only with Android and a promise of IOS in the future. The big sales pitch is that you can use a larger smart phone screen to control your camera and add some basic HDR and focus stacking features. Nothing about doing wireless tether to windows or mac. The prime feature of the other two choices.

The TP-Links are getting a bit long in the tooth. Newer, faster hardware would be nice. I don't know if the hardware is something they designed or if is re-purposed like the TP-Link.

Camrangers software is much more mature but is designed primarily for wireless tether. qDslrDashboard (and others) offer most of the features Arsenal is touting at a much lower price point and more platforms.

I think Arsenal is positioned poorly in the market and is late to the game. If they don't expand the software to all platforms with full tethering it will fail. It will just be an expensive phone accessory.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

sponsored links

4,546 views & 3 likes for this thread
Thoughts on Arsenal, Intelligent Camera Assistant (KickStarter)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.