Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 May 2012 (Sunday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Skyport Rcvr Battery Replacement

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 20, 2012 11:32 |  #1

I've had a Elinchrom Skyport set for a good number of years and the rechargeable receiver battery appears to be getting weak and doesn't hold a charge long. I found a thread that shows the unit open, but I didn'r see any mention of where to get a replacement battery. Evidently the battery is one used in a cell phone and is a LI-ION 3.7vdc 900mah with a number 940050 and appears to have leads on it. My Google searches came up mostly empty. I did find one that was close, but it had contacts rather than leads. Any ideas for a source would be welcome.
Note: I'm in the US

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

sponsored links
dirks
161 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 19, 2014 16:24 |  #2

*bump*

Has anyone yet figured out which battery it is?

Dirk
Gear Collector Extraordinaire
http://www.500px.com/d​irksachse (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,833 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jul 2009

May 19, 2014 18:13 |  #3

if you put the model # of the battery in Google it will usually show the replacement of the exact or aftermarket replacement version and where to get it. You can just send it in for service and have elinchrom replace it for ya.

I AM SHOM

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 20, 2014 08:28 |  #4

The only search result I can find on the 940050 is from Alibaba but I/m guessing your not looking for a minimum quantity of 1000. :)

My advice, search for Li-On battery replacements for Tom-Tom and Garmin GPS units. 3.7V 900-1,000mah batteries are commonly used in these unit and they all have leads instead of contacts.

A word of caution: Batteries with red, black, and white leads do not have a charging circuit built into the battery. They depend on the device for the charging circuit. Batteries with only a red and black lead have the charging circuit built into the battery pack. It appears the Skyport has the charging circuit built into the battery. Removing the blue shrink wrap should reveal a small circuit board attached to the battery. Most GPS batteries do not have a PCB and will have three leads. You will need to remove the charging circuit and attach it to the new battery.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,833 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jul 2009

May 20, 2014 09:28 |  #5

http://igunther.com/ne​ws/ (external link)

http://www.ebay.com …%3D10%26sd%3D12​1312481180 (external link)

I AM SHOM

dirks
161 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 20, 2014 10:27 |  #6

Thanks a lot Scott & OneyedJack!

Dirk
Gear Collector Extraordinaire
http://www.500px.com/d​irksachse (external link)

Mark_48
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 15, 2015 09:28 |  #7

Thought I'd drop back here with an update. The previous post with the link to ebay was for a UK seller which I was a bit reluctant to bother with and I couldn't find a battery in the US with the same part number or equivalent at the time. I got searching around this past week again for a replacement and found that the 3.7v battery for a iPod Photo 4G was the same physical size as the original battery in the Skyport receiver. Found a battery on Amazon that was decently priced (I have Prime so shipping was free also). I got the battery installed yesterday and it charged up OK and powered the receiver on. The white wire on the battery pack goes to a thermistor which monitors the battery temperature while charging and moderates the charge rate. The Skyport does not monitor the temperature while charging, thus the white wire is not needed and I put a piece of tubing on it to keep it safe. Was going to try it with the transmitter, but the coin cell in that was dead, so had to order that up.
Probably many of you that had a set of these may have moved on to something else, but if you still have one kicking around and the lithium battery won't take a charge, this may get it working again.

http://www.amazon.com …age_o01_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Likely could be found from other sellers such as ebay as well.

The Skyport receiver case will pry apart by working a screw driver around the edges to break loose the spots of glue. When putting the case back together just spot tack it with some Super glue at a few points, so it can be taken apart again if necessary

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

eleganteye
153 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by eleganteye.

Mar 10, 2018 22:30 as a reply to  @ Mark_48's post |  #8

Did this ever work for you?

Cheers, A K
Figure Art Photography (NSFW) (external link)

Mark_48
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 14, 2018 14:25 |  #9

eleganteye wrote in post #18582394 (external link)
Did this ever work for you?

Yes. I did this back in 2015 and the batteries are still charging and operating the receiver OK.

eleganteye
153 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by eleganteye.

Apr 14, 2018 11:54 as a reply to  @ Mark_48's post |  #10

Just got one. Works great. https://www.amazon.com …age_o01_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

iPod Photo 4G battery, longer life (according to rating) and $6. Elinchrom said their only option was to buy a new receiver, so big savings.

Cheers, A K
Figure Art Photography (NSFW) (external link)

sponsored links

4,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Skyport Rcvr Battery Replacement
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.