Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Changing the date created of a photo

Nascar ­ Nut
379 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 11, 2018 14:05 |  #1

I am using Adobe Bridge to edit my photos metadata. On the metadata tab under file properties and camera data (exif) I change the date created and save the changes. Now when I upload the file to my gallery, the photo shows the original date taken. I have a photo I took last year that I want to add to this year's gallery and I want the date to be today's date because the sort order on my gallery is by date taken. This way the photo will show up in the order I want it to. I check the date taken of the photo on my pc by using file properties and it shows today's date. My gallery is on a WordPress website that I made. Is there no way around this?

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2018 15:11 |  #2

Nascar Nut wrote in post #18582855 (external link)
I am using Adobe Bridge to edit my photos metadata. On the metadata tab under file properties and camera data (exif) I change the date created and save the changes. Now when I upload the file to my gallery, the photo shows the original date taken. I have a photo I took last year that I want to add to this year's gallery and I want the date to be today's date because the sort order on my gallery is by date taken. This way the photo will show up in the order I want it to. I check the date taken of the photo on my pc by using file properties and it shows today's date. My gallery is on a WordPress website that I made. Is there no way around this?

I, too, am interested in this. . I have been wondering if there is a way to change the date in the EXIF info and beyond, to such a thorough extent that there is no original date info at all left anywhere in the file.

I think that for the purposes that you mention above, what would accomplish your objectives would be to take a screen capture of the photo and then that is a whole new file with a creation date of today (or whatever day you do the screen capture). . Of course, the resolution of your new image would be limited to that of your monitor, which may or may not be sufficient.

If you'd like to do this, but don't have a high resolution monitor, then feel free to send me the full resolution image and I would be glad to do a screen capture for you on my 5K monitor, which I could then email back to you. . It would have today's date, and only today's date, in the file's info.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,943 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA.

Mar 11, 2018 15:33 |  #3

I believe Exiftool will do what you want. See https://www.sno.phy.qu​eensu.ca/~phil/exiftoo​l/ (external link). When you go to the link check "Date/Time Shift Feature" over at the right of the screen.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,217 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 11, 2018 15:45 |  #4

Exif Pilot does this.

http://www.colorpilot.​com/exif.html (external link)

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Nascar ­ Nut
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 11, 2018 17:44 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18582914 (external link)
I, too, am interested in this. . I have been wondering if there is a way to change the date in the EXIF info and beyond, to such a thorough extent that there is no original date info at all left anywhere in the file.

I think that for the purposes that you mention above, what would accomplish your objectives would be to take a screen capture of the photo and then that is a whole new file with a creation date of today (or whatever day you do the screen capture). . Of course, the resolution of your new image would be limited to that of your monitor, which may or may not be sufficient.

If you'd like to do this, but don't have a high resolution monitor, then feel free to send me the full resolution image and I would be glad to do a screen capture for you on my 5K monitor, which I could then email back to you. . It would have today's date, and only today's date, in the file's info.

Thanks a lot for the tip on screen capture. I never thought of that. My screen is 1080 and is enough for what I am doing, but thanks for the offer to do it on your 5k screen. I would like to have one of those. Nice!

Nascar ­ Nut
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 11, 2018 17:49 |  #6

John from PA wrote in post #18582936 (external link)
I believe Exiftool will do what you want. See https://www.sno.phy.qu​eensu.ca/~phil/exiftoo​l/ (external link). When you go to the link check "Date/Time Shift Feature" over at the right of the screen.

I am not sure if this one will work or not as I am no good at command line stuff. I played around with it for a little bit. I set it up to drag and drop an image to the executable to load the image. It loads it and then closes.

Nascar ­ Nut
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 11, 2018 17:50 |  #7

saea501 wrote in post #18582951 (external link)
Exif Pilot does this.

http://www.colorpilot.​com/exif.html (external link)

I gave this one a go and it seems like it was doing what I needed but after uploading the image it still shows the original date.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,183 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Archibald. (4 edits in all)

Mar 11, 2018 18:15 |  #8

There must be a simple way to change the date info in the file, but I don't happen to know what it is.

Borrowing from Tom's suggestion, you could pull the JPG into an editing program like Paint Shop Pro, copy the entire visible contents of the photo, and paste into a new photo. Then save the new file.

Edit: I just tried this with FastStone Viewer. I did ^C and then ^V and saved with a new name. The new file has the same resolution as the original but a different file size, and seems to have the current time and date

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Nascar ­ Nut
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 11, 2018 18:29 |  #9

Archibald wrote in post #18583062 (external link)
There must be a simple way to change the date info in the file, but I don't happen to know what it is.

Borrowing from Tom's suggestion, you could pull the JPG into an editing program like Paint Shop Pro, copy the entire visible contents of the photo, and paste into a new photo. Then save the new file.

Edit: I just tried this with FastStone Viewer. I did ^C and then ^V and saved with a new name. The new file has the same resolution as the original but a different file size, and seems to have the current time and date

That worked like a charm in photoshop as well. Thanks for the tip.

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
381 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Butts.

Mar 11, 2018 18:44 |  #10

Exiftool is your friend. Its got so many options.

Gave you a bum steer on the previous one.

Try this:

exiftool -wm w -time:all="yyyy:mm:dd hh:mm:ss" directory\filename

example:
exiftool -wm w -time:all="2018:03:12 00:00:01" test\*.jpg will set all jpg files in Test directory to the date and time specified on the command.

** Changing dates to before 1970 are problematic.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,183 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 11, 2018 18:47 |  #11

Butts wrote in post #18583093 (external link)
Exiftool is your friend. Its got so many options.

exiftool "-alldates<yyyy-mm-dd 00:00:00" -r DIR

But no GUI. :(

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,730 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 11, 2018 19:12 |  #12

Archibald wrote in post #18583094 (external link)
But no GUI. :(

HERE YOU GO (external link) Exiftool including GUI. Windows only.

Mark

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,183 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 11, 2018 20:11 |  #13

rrblint wrote in post #18583109 (external link)
HERE YOU GO (external link) Exiftool including GUI. Windows only.

Thanks! Will give it a try.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 12, 2018 00:47 |  #14

I have just verified the ability to change several date fields in EXIF data using Opanda PowerEXIF program.

• Image date time
  • Camera Date Time Original
  • Camera Date Time Digitized

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

820 views & 7 likes for this thread
Changing the date created of a photo
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.