Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2018 (Monday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is entering contests worth it???

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2018 08:49 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I have been seeing many photo contests propping up here and there. These aren't internationally known contests. Is regional and very local. They all have entry fees from $25 to $50+. The prizes are ok. Are these contests really good in helping you to get ahead in the photography industry??? I don't care about the whole ego thing since that won't get you paying clients. Some of these contests are open to everyone around the world...is like playing the lottery you know.... I hate betting and gambling. The photo pool is so large that.....I can't see them judging these shots correctly and fairly....

If you enter one in thinking that it would help you in your photography, you will continue to enter more....is like playing the lottery here.... Except that even if you won, you don't necessary becoming rich either.....overnight..​... :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,295 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 12, 2018 09:38 |  #2

You never know until you'll try it. Just avoid those with votes on FB. It is bogus, not real voting.
I have tried, won and big time once, but now I prefer online photo club where I belong to contests.
I won and loose, send and receive bets, prizes. I even organized one as well.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,443 posts
Gallery: 214 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 12, 2018 09:49 |  #3

I know a guy who is an amazing photographer. He enters contests and routinely wins them. He does it for the prizes - trips for two, cash, etc. I don't know how he does it. He could make way more by publishing books, but he refuses to do that, won't even consider it. Heh, we all have our ways.

I used to participate in International Salons. It was fun. I had my share of victories. If you keep at it, you will make a reputation. Now WHY you would do it that way, I don't know. But the salons were fun. Not doing it any more, though.

Do whatever is your thing. Try it, maybe you will like it.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,268 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2018 10:40 |  #4

I've entered a few......lost a few, but won too.

I just recently won $330 in a local one.

It's fun, give it a go.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2018 10:44 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

saea501 wrote in post #18583587 (external link)
I've entered a few......lost a few, but won too.

I just recently won $330 in a local one.

It's fun, give it a go.

Cool...but how much you "invested" in these contests before landing your $330 win??? I am thinking about it from the economic perspectives. Assuming if the award isn't doing anything for your photography later on and in the future??? If it does, that's great. The investment is worth it.

Facebook (external link)

archfotos
108 posts
Joined May 2016

Mar 12, 2018 11:07 |  #6

The winner is the person/org hosting the contest. They not only get your entry fee, they also get all rights to your submitted image. (every contest TCs I've read through)

Normally what I've seen if they would of licensed your image from Getty, for their usage, they would have had to pay more than they are even offering as an award. Smithsonian mag, Nat Geo, Post, Canon etc... they all hold contests I've never heard of one single case of a past winner getting a paid assignment afterwards.

I can understand the entry fee (although lately even that is over priced) but the ridiculous rights grab - if they can't respect a photographer's licensing then there is NO reason to respect the contest or the organization putting on the contest. scammers!

my 2ยข

DC Photographer (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,777 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 12, 2018 11:09 |  #7

I've won a couple. Spent more in "gifts" to the judges than I received in prizes.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 12, 2018 11:15 |  #8

I actually watched a video on this very subject yesterday. I'm not sure if these are the type of contests that the OP is thinking of entering but there's some interesting reflections (as usual from Ted) and I think it's worth sharing.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,529 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 12, 2018 11:28 |  #9

I would imagine many people simply do it because they enjoy it. I would bet that for most, it's not really about the money, prizes or fame, it's simply something they like to do. I enter contests where I pay, often times, a fairly large entry fee knowing that I have absolutely no chance of winning but I do it because of the personal satisfaction and fun that I have. It's not photography contests but running road races that I enjoy.

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2018 11:54 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18583619 (external link)
I actually watched a video on this very subject yesterday. I'm not sure if these are the type of contests that the OP is thinking of entering but there's some interesting reflections (as usual from Ted) and I think it's worth sharing.

Yeah, yeah it makes sense to me in a way. You can get plenty of exposures as long as you have a large pool of following in your social media accounts. And companies would pay you because of your social media connections and the ability to reach out to your audience...using your photography.

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2018 11:55 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Chet wrote in post #18583611 (external link)
I've won a couple. Spent more in "gifts" to the judges than I received in prizes.

"Gifts??" Did you bribe them??? LOLOLOLOL

Facebook (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,777 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 12, 2018 12:02 |  #12

TooManyShots wrote in post #18583656 (external link)
"Gifts??" Did you bribe them??? LOLOLOLOL

They prefer you not use that language.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,200 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 12, 2018 14:50 |  #13

By take is contests, yes but contest fees no.

I've judged contests in photo journalism, organized a regional effort, and also entered a few. Contests that charge entry fees and provide winner prizes leave me completely cold. The granting of use rights is itself a hefty fee even when the organizer does not monetize them.

Contests, in general, force shooters to make choices about our work. That, in itself, is a good reward. A wins feel good and can help some with reputation.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links

1,035 views & 4 likes for this thread
Is entering contests worth it???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.