Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 11 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 21:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Northern California Coast Trip

EricTober
67 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 11, 2018 21:14 |  #1

The wife and I will be heading to Yosemite and then driving up to Redwoods National Park heading back down to San Francisco in early May. I’m looking for any must shoot stops on the way back down from Redwoods along the coast. Any suggestions?

Canon 5D mkiii . Canon 24-70 f4 . Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 . Canon 85 f1.8

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 11, 2018 22:18 |  #2

There are a number of things just to the south of Arcata. This one in particular...

"Avenue of the Giants – A Destination Vacation: This world-famous scenic drive is a 31-mile portion of old Highway 101, which parallels Freeway 101 with its 51,222 acres of redwood groves. It is by far the most outstanding display of these giant trees in the entire 500 mile redwood belt and is accessible to all with convenient services provided along the way. The Avenue of the Giants is surrounded by Humboldt Redwoods State Park which has the largest remaining stand of virgin redwoods in the world. Take time to picnic, camp, hike, swim, fish, raft or bike ride in the cool hush of these ancient redwood forests."

Make note the signs posted high up along the route noting where the water level was during the 1964 flood of the Eel River.

Others not far from there (mentioned on the same website)...

"Don’t miss visiting ROCKEFELLER FOREST, where 10,000 acres of indescribable beauty will surely awe any visitor. There are many trails in this forest, as well as, the 8th, 6th, 4th, and 2nd tallest trees, and the “Champion Coast Redwood” at 370 feet tall!

SCOTIA is one of the last “company-owned” towns in California. There is a Historic Logging Museum (open in the summer months) with photos, artifacts and machinery used in old logging camps.

SHELTER COVE The community of Shelter Cove offers an airport, golf course, superb lodging and fine dining, surrounded by beaches, mountains and outstanding coastal views. Shelter Cove boasts excellent ocean fishing, beachcombing and mountain trail hiking, all at your doorstep. While on the North Coast, a visit to Shelter Cove is definitely in order.

GARBERVILLE – The main hub of activities and commerce in the Southern Humboldt county area. You’ll find a nice variety of eating establishments and a nice selection of lodging. Check out the many unique shops in town. Garberville is just ten minutes from the Avenue of the Giants and about 45 minutes from Shelter Cove.

FERNDALE – 21 miles north of the “Avenue of the Giants” discover Northern California’s best-kept secret—The Victorian Village of Ferndale. A photographer’s paradise and a shopper’s delight. Explore the classic architecture, old-fashioned mercantiles, antique stores, art galleries, and specialty shops and talk with the friendly people.

DYERVILLE GIANT – Within Humboldt Redwoods State Park, along the Founders Grove nature trail, are two special examples of the many giant redwoods found near the South Fork of the Eel River. The Founders Tree was dedicated to those who led the drive to establish the “Save-the-Redwoods League”. The Dyerville Giant was recognized as the “Champion” Coast Redwood as certified by the American Forestry Association until it fell on March 24, 1991. Before it fell, it was at least 362 feet tall (estimates from two different sources measured it at 370 feet after it fell). That is 200 feet taller than Niagara Falls or comparable to a 30-story building. It is also 17 feet in diameter and 52 feet in circumference. It probably weighs over 1,000,000 pounds."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

EricTober
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 12, 2018 09:41 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

Makes me wonder if going all the way up to Redwoods NP is worth it? Maybe I should just explore the avenue of the Giants and surrounding areas?

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 12, 2018 10:37 |  #4

If I we were you I would not drive all the way up to Redwoods. It is beautiful and there are many nice towns along the way down to San Francisco including Arcata, Eureka, Mendicino and Santa Rosa, it is a long drive at over eight hours.

If it were me I would not want to spend so much time driving. I would spend an extra day in Yosemite and then before or while in San Francisco go to Muhr Woods, which is on the other side of the Golden Gate bridge if you want to see Redwood trees. Then on the way back to town you can get on of the iconic shots of the bridge with SF in the background at sunset.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
784 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 12, 2018 11:28 |  #5

There is a great series of location photography books by PhotoTripUSA (external link) that cover a number of western USA states. I have several of them and they are excellent. For your purposes check out California Vol. 1 - North (external link).

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,348 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 8 months ago by John from PA.

Mar 12, 2018 19:37 |  #6

EricTober wrote in post #18583187 (external link)
The wife and I will be heading to Yosemite and then driving up to Redwoods National Park heading back down to San Francisco in early May.

Eric, where is your starting point? Should it include entry to Yosemite via points East, like Nevada, you have to use Tioga Pass and it may not even be open in "early May'.

As a suggestion, why not devote your time to Sonoma County wine country, working your way up to Mendocino? Mendocino is quite a beautiful place, being the set for Murder She Wrote, the TV show that ended in 1996. The show producers would like you to think it was filmed in Cabot Cove Maine but it was done 3000 miles away in Mendocino.

EricTober
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 12, 2018 20:32 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #7

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the tips. I am starting with San Francisco then heading to Yosemite and heading north to ....... still undecided. We have a full week, sat to sat, so trying to make the most of the trip photography wise while keeping the wifey happy.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,348 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 12, 2018 20:43 |  #8

This is what we did about 5 years ago. Exit Yosemite via Fish Camp, through Fresno, then over to the Paso Robles area (enjoy the wine), over to the coast (Cambria), run the coast North to San Simeon (Hearst Castle, book in advance), run the coast north with a return to SF.

Cambria was a neat surprise, we ended up staying in the area for 4 or 5 nights. Hearst Castle for instance is 10 miles from Cambria and the heart of the Paso Robles wine area is about 30 miles.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Mar 13, 2018 01:24 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #9

If recreating the route by John from PA, one should be made aware that if driving up the coastal highway from Cambria, landslides from the heavy rains of the winter have rendered the coastal highway IMPASSIBLE...you have to go inland to Hwy 101 in order to go north and then back out west to the coastal highway to Carmel and Monterey. Highway 1 was impassible in two locations, but they reopened one of the breaks in the highway about 8 months ago; then the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge had to be demolished and replaced. Then more rains created another blockage at Mud Creek (north of San Simeon), 'until late summer 2018'.

If going to Muir Woods, one needs to be aware that new reservation system is now in place for that location. One must now make a reservation to park or use the shuttle. Use GoMuirWoods.com or call 1-800-410-2419 to make your shuttle or parking reservations.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,348 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 13, 2018 14:29 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #18584243 (external link)
If recreating the route by John from PA, one should be made aware that if driving up the coastal highway from Cambria, landslides from the heavy rains of the winter have rendered the coastal highway IMPASSIBLE...you have to go inland to Hwy 101 in order to go north and then back out west to the coastal highway to Carmel and Monterey.

Wilt, good point! I say go north to Mendocino ca with perhaps stop along the way (perhaps Windsor) for a few days of wine touring.

sponsored links

849 views & 2 likes for this thread
Northern California Coast Trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.